navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Bones and Pages
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bones and Pages Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana

0 posted 2016-01-16 02:17 PM

I stand here
Looking down
At the bones of my life
Pages turned
Pages yet to be turned
I thought by now
I’d be quite dead
Never thought
I’d make it past thirty
Still . . .
There are pages yet to be turned
Dreams yet to be thought
About who I could have been
About who I am
I have tattoos
Would the other me
Have done so
I’ve walked on the wild side
Wallowed in danger's bed
Grinning all the while
These are the pages of moi
If I could live my life over
Would I chase the same
Nightmares

©January 15, 2015 / Jerry Pat Bolton

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

© Copyright 2016 Jerry Pat Bolton - All Rights Reserved
BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
1 posted 2016-01-16 02:24 PM

Good stuff JP.  I like to think I wouldn't do anything diffetent, but I wouldn't be completely honest with myself.  Life is a journey and choosing the wrong fork in the road is a given, according to moi

On the other hand, it's been quite a ride.

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2016-01-16 03:11 PM

I imagine we would all do things differently except for the truly “important” decisions, or “wrong-headed” decisions, and those would automatically be made as they were in the other life? Why, because our inner self would be unable not to make the decision as we had before. The decision of these important, but wrong ones, are so ingrained within us that we cast our decisions and hope for the best. But hadn’t we learned from these bad decisions in the other life. No. I say again we have been ingrained to make the same mistakes as before. These bad decisions have such an allure they are impossible to not be followed.

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2016-01-16 03:13 PM

I think it is likely that we would change a few decisions if we had the opportunity, in order to avoid nightmares. But all of our experiences have taught us some important things and therefore there is a positive side to every moment of darkness.

Your write is very thought provoking, Jerry. You do those retrospective reflections very well. You also made me think about alternative selves ... some believe we are fragmented selves who experience different lives at the same time, under the "overview" of our higher self. It sounds foreign but who knows for sure??  

So maybe there is another Jerry somewhere in another reality who has made opposite choices ... enough possibilities to get cross-eyed.  

M

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2016-01-16 03:24 PM

Heh.Heh I hear you on getting "cross-eyed," Margherita. I suppose for each one of us who are alive there are just that many thoughts about life after death. Thank you, Margherita, for always being here in my world.

Ticklefingers
Posts 710
Louisiana
5 posted 2016-01-18 11:25 AM

When I look into myself as you have JerryPat and ask,
quote:
"If I could live my life over, would I chase the same
nightmares"?
I think that if I didn't, I wouldn't be me. So if I wasn't 'me, I suppose I'd be someone else and would never know the difference. But if I chose to modify my behavior in order to become a better 'me', that would be nearly the same.

I state this firmly from the experience of having done so. The technique was inspiring beyond all others.

I got married.

Then the 88's started flowing.

Here. Take some with my best wishes pal! (88's atcha!)

She told me "play one for your supper Danny and maybe you'll get breakfast".

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
6 posted 2016-01-18 11:35 AM

quote:
Here. Take some with my best wishes pal! (88's atcha!)

I have them in my possession and I thank you kindly for them.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Bones and Pages

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary