navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » So This is Christmas
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic So This is Christmas Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Paula Finn
Member Ascendant
since 2000-06-17
Posts 5546
missouri

0 posted 2015-12-24 07:38 PM

So this is Christmas
sitting alone at a table for four
kids gone to their dads
house so quiet is frightening
scraps of glittery paper on the floor
the trees' soft glow
all I can see through my tears
and my heart breaks...again
...and again
don't know why I even bother anymore
So this is Christmas
So...this is Christmas.

© Copyright 2015 Paula Finn - All Rights Reserved
ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
1 posted 2015-12-24 08:49 PM

You bother because you love things,
Things going,things returning
All at proper, and improper times...

As Frost said "Nothing Gold can last.."
He took that ( I believe) directly from  Buddhist thought
"Look at everything as if it is already broken"
Then you will love things and people incredibly when they are whole,
( including yourself.)

Your poem is from your heart,
sad to read, but real
Love your heart, even when it is broken.

Merry Christmas, poet.

"Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance."
Carl Sandburg

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2015-12-24 10:29 PM

Eh . . . I, too, have the Christmas blues, Paula. (Have your name tattooed on my lower right arm.) The reason? My daughter's name is Paula. Back to your poem, Ice is correct, it all has to do with love and observation.

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

Mr Martini
Posts 366
Beneath The Line
3 posted 2015-12-25 12:01 PM

You're never alone when you have yourself Paula Finn.

If we become too accustomed (or even dependent) on others for our emotional survival, then we've given up everything we are to someone else. When that someone is gone, they take that part of us with them and we are left with the emptiness of despair.

Do something you can't do in the presence of that "someone else" while they're gone and begin to fill that emptiness with the joy that exists within you.

Just do it.    

Here's to you and here's to me and should we ever disagree, here's to me!

Ticklefingers
Posts 710
Louisiana
4 posted 2015-12-25 04:08 PM

I am sorry to read of your sadness Miss Paula, but there will be happiness restored when your children return and and your home begins to vibrate once again.

For as humble as they may be, please accept my best wishes for you in '16.

88's friend

She told me "play one for your supper Danny and maybe you'll get breakfast".

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
5 posted 2015-12-27 06:19 AM

Dear Paula, you rendered your Christmas blues very effectively. I am sorry to hear this, but I do hope it was a temporary despair due to the vision we have of Christmas, it is associated with warmth and love and coziness. To be alone on such a day is not ideal for fragile hearts.

I think Mr. Martini commented very very wisely here. May you take his words to heart and be able to love yourself and trust yourself that you can overcome whatever sadness when you consider that you are here as a divine expression and that indeed guarantees that you are never ever alone.

When the kids come back hug them joyously. Tears might make them feel responsible for your despair in their absence.

Love and peace, dear Paula!

Margherita

"Love is the One who masters all things;
I am mastered totally by Love."
(Rumi)

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
6 posted 2015-12-28 03:38 PM

I agree with most of the comments above, but, and this is a rhetorical question and not meant in any negative way at all, but I assume you already had "Christmas" with the kids, and you two "share" the kids ("...kids gone to their dads . . . scraps of glittery paper on the floor. . ."), I wonder what "Dad" was feeling when the kids were with you?

I never, ever had a Dad, except at conception, but I have been a Dad for 40 or so years and in the same situation alluded to in your poem, I would be feeling and writing this piece, instead of you.

None of what I'm saying alleviates your pain and iota, but turn your feelings to happiness for your kids - - - at least they have a Dad!, and he apparently cares for them a great deal if he wants to spent time with them.

Smile, my friend, and turn your personal grief to shared happiness with them.

my heart,

jimmy

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
7 posted 2015-12-28 07:53 PM

nice writing...yes unfortunately all of our Christmases won't be merry and bright...james
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » So This is Christmas

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary