navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » The Beehive.
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Beehive. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Cari
Posts 411
Englnand

0 posted 2015-12-05 09:08 AM

The Beehive.

Interval

A release of conversation

Above me

Dvorak lingers in the blue mushrooms

~

Theatre smell

Music dust in crushed burgundy

Climbing the stairways

To the halftime bars

~

I sip overpriced whiskey

Amid a peck of cheek kisses

Murmur of nothing talk

and the fog of stale Chanel

~

She stands by the window drapes

Isolated by timidity

I engage her

With the price of a smile

~

Elgar easy on the lifting strings

As the Nimrod casts it spell

Oblivious

To two empty seats
Author's Notes:
Note: The Royal Albert Hall is nicknamed ‘The Beehive’ and the blue mushrooms are sound disks usually back lighted in blue and mounted on the high ceiling.

© Copyright 2015 Cari - All Rights Reserved
Ticklefingers
Posts 710
Louisiana
1 posted 2015-12-05 01:16 PM

All else aside for the moment, I'm quite fond of the cello. You mentioned Elgar in your poetry sending me off to find a Yo-Yo Ma performance of Elgar.

If you haven't already, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM9DPfp7-Ck

Thanks for bringing it to mind. It's difficult to think of such a performance and two empty seats at the same time.

88's friend  

She told me "play one for your supper Danny and maybe you'll get breakfast".

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2015-12-05 01:53 PM

I went to the link Ticklefingers left and enjoyed it very much . . . I love music, almost all kinds of music except rap. I have  no musical background except what I hear over the radio/CD's/You tube, but I  have loved classical music for years since I first listened to Tchaikovsky . . . Anyway, I enjoyed Elgar . . .

~ My inner world is my paradise and I am its keeper ~

Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
3 posted 2015-12-05 02:30 PM

I gather you are alluding to Elgar’s Cello concerto, not to the Enigma. Yo-Yo Ma is very good though a touch too dramatic for my tastes. The definitive performance of the Elgar’s Cello concerto was way back by Jacqueline de Pre. As one conductor said ‘I have conducted this concerto many times with some fine cellists but hearing this young lady play the Elgar it was as if I was hearing it for the first time.

Thank both for your comments.

Cari.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » The Beehive.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary