navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » For a Penny or Two
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic For a Penny or Two Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida

0 posted 2015-10-26 12:39 PM

For a penny or two  

I remember as a very young girl going to Cooper's drug store with a few pennies to buy a some cigarettes for my mother. In those years she could not afford a full pack. The clerk would sell  them to a young girl without a thought about it.

Then I might also have one or two pennies for the large glassed in candy case. The candy  was on the bottom shelves  near to the floor so you could bend or kneel and feast your eyes over the large array of penny  candy, until you choose one or two pieces.  

The clerk was very patient. The decision was not something you made swiftly. Should it be the red wax lips, or a wax bottle of sweet syrup, a box of chalky white fake cigarettes. Maybe the strip of paper with  the colored dots of hard candy you can take your  time picking or licking off the paper or a small package of black gum maybe the Juicy Fruit or  block of double bubble gum?

Oh the choices you can make if you had a penny or two. Just remembering. Jo

© Copyright 2015 martyjo - All Rights Reserved
Ticklefingers
Posts 710
Louisiana
1 posted 2015-10-26 03:44 PM

Oh Boy!!
quote:
"Should it be the red wax lips, or a wax bottle of sweet syrup, a box of chalky white fake cigarettes. Maybe the strip of paper with  the colored dots of hard candy you can take your  time picking or licking off the paper or a small package of black gum"
Wow! 'Black Jack' gum was popular with many of us kids as was 'Bazooka' (2 for a penny}. 'Mary Jane's, 'Jaw Breakers' and 12 inch tall pretzels out of the humidor were also a penny. 'Old Man' Strutzel sold frosty mugs of Root Beer for a nickel.

Collecting and cashing in empty bottles for 2 cents apiece earned major cash for those sweet candies and treats!

(At age 14 Miss Jo, I had a Friday night gig as a 'pin-boy' at a Cicero bowling alley with two other lads. Each of us took care of two alleys for 50 cents a line (game). The tips would be thrown in the gutters at closing time when we swept the alleys down.)

You set my mind to wandering Miss Jo with your wonderful reminisces.

Keep 'em coming!

88's friend    

She told me "play one for your supper Danny and maybe you'll get breakfast".

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
2 posted 2015-10-26 04:55 PM

Thank you Dan. When Lorie said she enjoyed the stories, that is when I decided to add a few of my thoughts.Had a great time growing up  and remember it all. You can still buy a lot of the old time candy from the Yankee store on the internet or from Cracker barrel which is in a lot of areas.Thanks for adding more. jo
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
3 posted 2015-10-26 05:40 PM

You betcha Jo, compared to prices these day those were the glory days. Charles, my best friend and I took my red wagon and went all over our little town picking up used Coke bottles and resold the empties the back to the grocery store..

~*~ When they give you ruled paper write sideways. ~*~

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
4 posted 2015-10-27 03:08 PM

Kinda wishing I was back in those days . . . well, sorta, don't want to be back that "young" again - like my independence.

j.

secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
5 posted 2015-10-31 07:48 AM

fine 'slice of life' (from better times past) penning!

likely little worth remembering from the current
double-post-modern "Runaway American Dream"

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
6 posted 2015-10-31 02:30 PM

Oh and Dan, I might have been bowling at one of those alleys.We started with the small "duck pins" and much later I was on a team of "big pins" as we called them. Duck pins were much harder if I remember correctly.And the alley  boys did a good job until the automatic pin droppers came in. As a kid I  lived on those old shoe clip on roller skates with the key around my neck on a shoelace.Not until I was in my mid sixties did I go to a rink and buy a pair of shoe skates.I loved that also.

And as for cashing in the bottles, Oh yes indeed.I understand all of that.  (oh I must admit I do not know the meaning of 88's, I  assume it is  a good signal of friendship) Best to you, JO

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
7 posted 2015-11-02 05:29 PM

Remember a penny candy in a store in Louisville, Kentucky...you could get a bag full for pennies...james
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
8 posted 2015-11-02 08:19 PM

so kind and nice rememberings, thanks for sharing this "pennies poem", enjoyed very much

yann

Ticklefingers
Posts 710
Louisiana
9 posted 2015-11-02 11:04 PM

Right you are Miss Jo on the 'Duck Pins'! They were smaller then regulation '10' pins by nearly 6 inches. No finger holes either. They were also popular with kids who would use the sidewalks for 'alleys'.

The system we used was 'semi-automatic'. The pins had an electric setting rack. After the ball hit the pins and settled in the 'well' or pit, we would jump over the impact wall and pick up the downed pins. Then we would place those pins in their appropriate slot in the rack. As you might imagine, the last thing you do is return the ball by placing it on the hump and giving it a little shove through the felt curtain. It would then roll down the hump ramp and back to the bowlers rack. By the time I completed those steps on one alley, it was time to jump out of the pit and into another to repeat the process. After the second ball was thrown, the remaining pins would again be placed in the rack and I would pull the setting chain and the rack would be lowered electrically to set the pins on the alley and then rise again.

It was great fun and the bowlers really appreciated 'fast work'. The tips were great!

88's friend

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
10 posted 2015-11-03 01:25 AM

Dan. We Kept you boys hopping.It was great fun.My husband and I were on a team that we called "The Friendly Three and Me". He was a quiet guy and the president of our league.
But he liked being the "Me" on the team. jo  

Ticklefingers
Posts 710
Louisiana
11 posted 2015-11-03 08:48 PM

If you want your 'tip' money back Miss Jo, it's too late!

Some guy driving around with a white truck and a white uniform got it.

You see, I had this 'habit'. After a hot evening in the pits, I just had to have a 'Dreamcicle' or two and a bottle of 'Kayo' to wash it down.

However, if I didn't say it before, I'll say it now;

..."Thanksalot Miss Jo!!"  

Here's to pickin' up the elusive 7-10 split!     

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
12 posted 2015-11-03 09:13 PM

Dan by Dreamcyle do you mean what I call a  creamcyle, Vanila ice cream with orange ice covering??

And I think I did blast down a 7-l0 split.

Great fun.Jo

Ticklefingers
Posts 710
Louisiana
13 posted 2015-11-04 12:09 PM

Yes indeed Miss Jo, they're one and the same! Mostly a Sherbet taste like a 'push-up'.

Super tasty!

(With all the sugary stuff we had, is it any wonder we're all the sweetest bunch around?)

You know Miss Jo, 'Mountain Dew' has been a popular soft drink for decades. I think Pepsi owns the company now and has for a good while. I remember when I first saw (and tasted) a bottle of 'dew. It was a deep green bottle with a painted label depicting a 'hill-billy' character perched against an old tree. On the label were the words, "Bottled By Ed and Gene".

Among all the other things of those days, I should have saved one or two of them.

Enjoy your day Miss Jo

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
14 posted 2015-11-04 10:47 PM

Dan I also liked Mountain Dew.But there is a company back in Conn. that is called  Foxon Park.They make their soda from spring water I think. It is always served in the terrific Italian run Pizza places and  some people a who have moved to a other states have a case shipped to them.  Oh and In New Haven Pizza was earlier called "Ahbeetz" and New Haven is still the best eating place for "Ahbeetze or pizza today.

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
15 posted 2015-11-08 11:59 AM

Dear Martyjo, it is such a great pleasure to follow you through your memories ... and recall my own while reading. Surprisingly I never liked candy, but oh ... I lived in front of a bakery and in truth I affirm here that I have never again in my life eaten such marvelous cakes as I did then. I still can't forgive myself for not having asked the recipe of a certain chocolate cake they made only on Wednesday. Once, many years later, I met the widow and hoped she had the recipe, but she didn't!! He died with his secret! Unforgivable.

Keep them coming!

Love and hugs.
Margherita

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
16 posted 2015-11-19 01:20 PM

Margherita,Thank you for reading and addressing my post.I enjoyed your addition of the chocolate cake recipe. Just the other day the daughter of a friend posted a portion of an old cheese cake recipe of mine and asked if I wanted it. It was in her mother's files. You and my granddaughter asked  for the recipe.So I will have to get my books and find them and send them to both of you. smiling here,Jo
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » For a Penny or Two

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary