navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Losses
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic Losses Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2013-05-21 12:08 PM

Losses

The sparrow must have hit
The wall, or perhaps was attacked
By a larger bird
But there he was, flopping about
In dust and seed
Broken necked, bedecked by pain.

I went to rescue him, saw the break
Watched the last throb, picked him up
Gently, disposed of him or her with honor.
I hope there were no waiting children.

The next day, I could not find my Poe,
Out in the backyard somewhere. While on
The phone with my husband, I raised a
Blind, saw his “catch”, and by the time
I saw the conclusion of Poe's catch,
Shooed my pup away from the blessing
Of his boyhood triumph, and once again
Took a deceased carcass away.

Death has been near me this week.

Tornados do not help my mental status.

I pray for all whom have lost life.

I’ve been too near it all week.

For those who have to pick up, and move
Forward, my prayers
Are for you.

© KRJ 5-20-13

© Copyright 2013 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
1 posted 2013-05-21 03:13 AM

This has me in tears and in pieces.  I know you won’t blame Poe.  Please give Poe and Twain lots of hugs and kisses from Auntie Di.

Death has been near me often, in the last while.  Then on top of everything else, on Sunday, one of 2 much loved TV presenters of MorningLive on South African TV died.  He was there from the first day of the program’s inception, 14 years ago.  His co-presenter was co-presenting with him for the last 9 years.  The whole of South Africa is devastated.  There has never been such a public reaction to anyone’s death in South Africa, as there has been to his.  He was 46, ran the 2 biggest ultra-marathons in South Africa every year, was at the peak of his fitness, was a spectator at a rugby match with his little son, when he collapsed, received immediate medical attention and was rushed to hospital in an ambulance, yet still died later in hospital, of a heart attack.  Like you as I understand, I am feeling very fragile, and, as I am sure you are feeling, not up to any more of this.

My prayers are for you too and for all in Oklahoma and Texas.

Hugs and tears, Karilea
Owl

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2013-05-21 04:22 AM

Have just gone on to Internet news and read an article about the devastation in Oklahoma.  Horrific!  Are all our Pipsters from Oklahoma safe?  We don't have tornadoes and hurricanes in South Africa (except we have had literally one or two so-called minor tornadoes in isolated spots in the last about 5 years - and those were bad enough), but what I have seen on Internet videos  in the past and what I know of the hurricane that Ruth was in a couple of years ago is too awful for words and imagining what it must be like is indescribable.  My heart, tears and prayers go out to all people and animals killed or hurt and to their families and to those who have lost their homes, businesses and/or workplaces or had them damaged.  

Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2013-05-21 04:38 AM

Thank you, dear Karilea, for the opportunity to share your pain through your extremely poignant words.

I don't want to add other words, but my heart weeps silently for all of these sad and intensely dramatic situations and those involved.

Hugs.
Margherita

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2013-05-21 07:50 AM

A timely piece to say the least, my friend. Yes, you have been too near it all week, that's for sure. Horrible what can happen on a clear, peaceful day.

~*~ PMS jokes aren't funny, period. ~*~

[This message has been edited by JerryPat2 (05-22-2013 04:52 PM).]

secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
5 posted 2013-05-21 10:36 AM

very well said!
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
6 posted 2013-05-21 12:42 PM

Just a hug, Karilea. I have been watching the devastation in Oklahoma (where I was born) and I can imagine how on edge you must be, especially with all that's going on with you at this time.
Praying for you and all those in harm's way.
                                   Ida

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
7 posted 2013-05-21 01:14 PM

Not just an Awesome piece, my friend, but the approach to the conclusion was so unique.  A new best of yours for me.

jimmy

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2013-05-21 08:39 PM

Diane, there is no way I can blame Poe. He was being himself, doing what dogs do. Twain was quite upset because he wasn’t out there – it was rather funny…he knew his brother was doing something, and trying, in his own way, to “tattle” on his brother. When he saw that I didn’t spank Poe for doing what dogs do [hunt] he has spent the last two days trying to look up to his “little” brother. [Same age, different heights.]

I am sorry for the loss of your country. This man must have been a very good person who contributed so very much of his soul to your country. Knowing that he was in such good form would make any of us feel fragile, indeed. Diane, I am here for you, as ever was, so please feel free to contact me in your own time. Love, K

Margherita, my husband’s accident at home this last week made me think of how easily my husband could have broken his neck. He passed out from low blood pressure and I could not hear him breathing. As it is, he did receive a small hairline neck fracture from C-2 – C-4, but there was another hairline fracture that showed from his fall in March. His Parkinson’s is what is causing the problems, along with low blood pressure, so his meds have been adjusted. Hopefully for the better. Thank you for following along, knowing that my poems have lately reflected real life in what, I hope, can be lessons for others.

JP2, my friend, some day I shall share a beer with you. That, and meet my friend, Serenity. And then I’ll probably have a shot. We certainly have stories to tell.

2ndHDP…hello my friend. Long time no see. Write a poem, let me read, make me smile. Hugs, K

Ida, I’ve checked in with some of our OK friends – I’ve not heard of any losses in their areas. But our prayers need to be there for all. Thank you so much for chiming in with your love and thoughtful message.

JW – Always in my corner. Thank you, my poet friend, for being near.

"The business of the poet...is to show the sorriness underlying the grandest things and the grandeur underlying the sorriest things." Thomas Hardy

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
9 posted 2013-05-22 01:33 PM

I enjoyed how you wove the backyard tragedies with the more global tragedies together Karilea. Really nicely written.  

From a backyard aspect, it is so hard sometimes. I have watched the hawks and even the bluejays stalking some of the smaller birds, and try to remember that nature has her way ... even at times when I find it hard to watch as well.

Best wishes,
/Kit

Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
10 posted 2013-05-22 03:45 PM

Prayers have been sent to Oklahoma from this corner as well...

quote:
Shooed my pup away from the blessing
Of his boyhood triumph, and once again
Took a deceased carcass away.

I appreciate your honorable spirit when it comes to burial of the deceased, I do, but, I had to smile as, in my mind, I saw your doggie Poe wagging his tail in follow and look of bewilderment as dogs often give when us humans take away what, um, they perceive as treasure.  Enjoyed!  Thanks for sharing!  

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
11 posted 2013-05-22 09:13 PM

Kit, Bob...both of your replies gave me cause to smile over what is life, and how quickly it can be snatched.

Kit, in the last decade, we have watched the smaller hawks and kites take over the townsite as the country sites grow smaller in agriculture and larger in population. I have always watched the skies...no way in the world were there this many sky creatures over town only 23 years ago.

Also, we are also experiencing more owls, and bats. I don't mind bats [unless they get in my husband's bedroom - he goes a little nutty when that happens]...LOL...

And I don't mind owls. I continue and always will remember that the cycles will continue if we humans don't kill them off...and nature will rule.

Bob...you had it right. My dogs Poe and Twain...it was quite funny. Twain was doing his best to say "Mom, Mom! Poe has something I don't have! He won't let me share! Get it, Get it!" So when I saw Poe with his trophy, I knew for his sake that depending on what the squirrels may be infected with at any given time, before he got deeper into the catch, it did have to be removed. Trust me, the boys checked out the shovel I picked it up on, the tracks that were made, the whole back yard....I'm just glad the day was not totally wet from rain and they spent themselves out and slept the night well.

Thank you all for reading!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Losses

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary