navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Lost in Thought
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic Lost in Thought Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2013-04-05 07:29 AM

LOST IN THOUGHT
22 February 2013

Tonight I harbour
a secret joy
and a secret sorrow
and the ships sail on
over waves
as cold as they are dark
and the moon paints
shades of shadows
on my forest garden
and in the turmoil of my thoughts

and nobody will ever know
nor wonder
what my secret joy
and my secret sorrow
are.

Owl

© Copyright 2013 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

1 posted 2013-04-05 11:47 AM

We won't wonder?
But of course we will.
My imagination is engaged already.

And I could say the same for myself.
Yet another poet with secrets, hidden somewhere between the lines.

(Missed seeing you here lately.)

EmmaRose
since 2011-03-02
Posts 1376
Midwest
2 posted 2013-04-05 12:15 PM

It is nice to have a sacred place all  to  yourself.
For some it is in their garden, for some, in
their own heart or mind.
As long as their is that special santuary, exists, there is hope.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
3 posted 2013-04-05 02:32 PM

Ed, how sweet of you to have missed seeing me here.  You made my day.  Smiles.  I can say the same for you – the only thing wrong with your excellent poetry is that there is far, far, far  too little of it in these blue pages.  Your secrets, too, have my imagination engaged.  They go very well with your superb photo and your magical poetry and make you the ultimate enigmatic hermit-poet of repute.  Also I was hoping somebody would “wonder”, but didn’t want to assume.  So thanks for that too in your heart-warming reply.  More smiles.  Do you think if I hinted very hard, we would find some more Krawdad poetry appearing here?  Would saying “pretty please” make a difference?

EmmaRose, you hit the nail on the head – I don’t like that phrase too much, especially in relation to this poem and also your cameo gem (bluebird passing) so I am going to replace it – for now anyway – with “you planted the daisy in the ground”.  As well as my mind, I have other sacred places – my horse’s grave where I commune more than usual, with my horse Flicka, my cat Tigger and my dog Daisy, all in Heaven together, (though currently I can’t afford the petrol to get there which rips my heart into jagged-edged, gasping slivers), my indigenous forest garden and my book-lined and dog- and cat-inhabited study – well, to be accurate, wherever I am Benji, my dog, and Cleo, my cat, are with me, but I especially enjoy being with them in my study as I work or wrap myself in writing poetry or reading the poetry of others.  Thank you, for your beautiful and sensitive reply.

Owl

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
4 posted 2013-04-05 11:06 PM

I think above all we all have some type of secret because who is it that can know all about another? We all have deep pockets within our hearts that hold some small secret. And  how nice that is to once in a while take it out and think it through once again. A garden and a library is all I ever really needed to keep my mind together; for how  sweet it is to hide between the pages of a good book and forget for a while our own tribulations or trepidations; Or dig into the dirt and plant another seed or bulb to be admired long after we leave the patch. I also missed you.I only read here once in a while now as I am not a writer.Welcome back. jo
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
5 posted 2013-04-05 11:43 PM

Diana, So good to see you here today.I just wrote a rather long reply but once again because I have not mastered Firefox I lost it. So I am back to say I think I understand your thoughts.How nice to have a small pocket within our heart to carry any little, however simple,secret.Something we can at any time take out and mull over and learn from with new insight. Who can really know all of another person and who would really want to share all of one's most private thoughts anyway.All I really ever needed was a garden and a library.A book to read and enter to forget my own little problems while I share another person's life or story. A garden in which to dig and plant seeds or bulbs to leave for another after we leave this patch of our world. My needs are simple and have served me well over these many years. So good to know you are well and writing.  The best to you, jo  
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
6 posted 2013-04-06 01:51 AM

i love it, diana, we should be lost in thought more often, but society find that awkward, your words are delighful and precious and deep in poetry, thanks for sharing,

yann

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
7 posted 2013-04-06 03:54 AM

Thank you, Martyjo, for your beautiful reply, and for missing me. You are a sweetie.  What do you mean, you are not a writer!  Your poetry, though we see it here far too seldom, is beautiful, sensitive, captivating and memorable, as all will attest and is significantly missing from the blue pages in the last while.  I love what you say in reply to my poem – a garden and a library – what a perfect combination – and “hiding between the pages of a good book” is such a lovely concept to ponder (and begs a Martyjo poem).  I wish you lived near me in South Africa and that I had time to sit and chat with you, from time to time, over a cup of tea or coffee, at our extreme leisure, while the sun warms us and birds sing and fluffy little clouds bounce through a translucent blue South African sky.

Yann, I love your reply.  Yes, society would, indeed, find that awkward.  Thoughts and thinking and being lost in thought are all a very important part of who I am.  Thank you for understanding and for loving my poem so much.  

Owl

Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
8 posted 2013-04-06 01:21 PM

Introspection, hmmmm, seems, as noted here, outside our thoughts, there's many caring. Enjoyed!  
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
9 posted 2013-04-06 05:14 PM

Smiles, Bob.  Thank you.

Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Lost in Thought

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary