navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » Shopping at Jantzen Beach
Open Poetry #46
Post A Reply Post New Topic Shopping at Jantzen Beach Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Amaryllis
since 2010-05-20
Posts 1306
Mi now

0 posted 2010-12-24 05:24 PM

At the interchange
there is a woman,
small, bedraggled

a brown sign in her hands.
It is too dark now
to read its message.

The day is cold, and wet-
the wind relentless.

Cars crawl and hurry
in the stop-and-go style
of Christmas at the shopping center.

The woman owns her corner; no one else
crowds her right or left,
though other sections

shoulder popular
with the familiar forms

Out of work, anything helps
and God bless

Someone slows to hand
a paper fast-food bag

you are surprised
by the urgency with which she
hurries to grab it-

no cynical excuse, no arrogant pride;

she already tears the wrapper,
takes big bites

Oh, she is so hungry
you say, as you drive past.
*Ps: Obviously I meant this poem as a call to charity, not as an uncaring sneer.  Thank you  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A pile of scribbles here: http://sharonleighpoetry.blogspot.com

[This message has been edited by Amaryllis (12-24-2010 06:18 PM).]

© Copyright 2010 Amaryllis - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2010-12-24 08:44 PM

PS...Amaryllis...you hit the nail on the head...I'm so fortunate that, even though I've been without a job for nearly two years now? I'm not homeless, nor without. And, when I go on interviews and finally hear that someone else got the position? I'm pretty sure they were more needful. It's been a difficult few years...but just like you took that lady in with your eyes, perhaps someone will be able to offer her one step further into her future.

for your heart, child.

Merry Christmas!

JerryPat
since 2010-10-30
Posts 1991
Louisiana/America
2 posted 2010-12-24 09:08 PM

That was quite a sobering picture of the Yuletide you have painted for us with your words and expressions of concern. Merry Christmas to you.

. . . and the raven said, )!(%!~@~#&$ . . .

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
3 posted 2010-12-24 09:21 PM

Amaryllis, Thank you for your caring heart.  latearrival

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2010-12-24 10:47 PM

Enjoyed your thoughts...James
ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
5 posted 2010-12-24 11:38 PM

I see it the way you meant it.

I also see your heart as being huge.

Nice writing Amaryllis as usual.
Have a great 2011 and I wish you the best!!

Eric

ain't doin nothin at all just answerin the call
and kinda driftin away from it all

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2010-12-24 11:52 PM

"You say, as you drive past"...how true that is. I always find it amazing at the angry faces of drivers as they pass an accident scene, outraged by being delayed.

True, there is a difference between the two, one referencing that fact that someone (else) should do something and the other referencing indifference  and even anger towards another's misfortune but there is a similarity, too, and I see it in your poem.

Merry Christmas, dear poetess

Amaryllis
since 2010-05-20
Posts 1306
Mi now
7 posted 2010-12-25 01:32 AM

Thank you to everyone... yes, it haunts me... how many times do we drive past these people? I know sometimes there are certain ones who may take 'advantage' of the situation, yet... to see her true hunger... it has stuck with me. We were already almost onto the highway when I saw this. And yes, we do give to charities... but sometimes I wish I could somehow give to ALL the needy. It isn't possible for one person, yet... if we all do a little, then... well, you know!

Thanks again, everyone, and Merry Christmas!

My best~
Amaryllis

easy1
since 2010-05-22
Posts 1209
Southeastern USA
8 posted 2010-12-26 06:44 AM

Interesting. As Robert Pirsig mentioned in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance many years ago now, it is all just "more television" especially from an automobile.

Anybody who can pull off near-highway panhandling would probably make a good showroom salesperson of the patient but persistent and fast-closing kind. Most won't get that chance - as far as that's a better life when people are buying product - yet I am just saying so.

I imagine your subject here more like a hungry winter bird at the feeder. That is certainly part of the situation, too. Nowadays, however, it is only a truly desperate panhandler who eats unsealed food handouts.

Poignant write, thanks.

p.s. Jantzen, huh?

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
9 posted 2010-12-26 10:18 AM

Thanks for keeping the bigger picture in focus. The small town area I live in doesn't have that type of scenario.  Your compassion vs compassionlessness is very well done.
Lori

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
10 posted 2010-12-26 06:09 PM

Very compassionate write, dear Amaryllis. Yes, it would be great if we could help all those who are in difficulty. I also have to ignore some, because there are too many here ...
The other day I was moved by a scene I observed at a stoplight ... a very dirty and shabby man held a plastic bag open and passed from car to car. He made it manifest that he did not ask for money, but for something to eat. And right from the car ahead of mine somebody handed him a package (sealed) of clementines. I must keep something in my car next time I happen there ...

Love,
Margherita

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » Shopping at Jantzen Beach

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary