navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » Thoughts of the Season
Open Poetry #46
Post A Reply Post New Topic Thoughts of the Season Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JerryPat
since 2010-10-30
Posts 1991
Louisiana/America

0 posted 2010-12-19 06:31 PM

today has been good
a good day
I love the universe when it is this good
brightly lit and crispy cool
wintry yet fall-like still
a sort of hush o'er the land
during the daytime activities
soft tribute to yuletide
festivals through the night
gaudy parties, spiked eggnog
to toast St. Nick
on the periphery a quiet celebration
of the birth of Him
I respect these celebrations
have no problem with a people's faith
although certain things have been said
whispers
whispers which cause a sadness
to those who worship His birth
I pause
take stock of myself
on this day
wonder why there are those
that hate
the Golden Rule
ah, not too complicated to figure out
it is the
Sodom and Gomorrah effect
simple deduction
make everything which goes against mankind
womankind
personkind
legal, in the meantime
attack the Child in the Manger
as evil
I do not believe
that's to say
I don't believe most of what is in the Bible
if anything
but . . .
the alternative is
well, just look around you
at what is considered normal
today

http://swamprighter.wordpress.com/

© Copyright 2010 Jerry Pat Bolton - All Rights Reserved
s1nfully_1nn0c3nt
since 2003-10-26
Posts 1105
Watertown, NY
1 posted 2010-12-19 10:29 PM

Normal really isn't normal anymore eh? Enjoyed.

-Trina.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me...

JerryPat
since 2010-10-30
Posts 1991
Louisiana/America
2 posted 2010-12-19 10:35 PM

No it isn't Trina. I'm always happy it when I see your name on my comments. Thank you.

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
3 posted 2010-12-19 11:55 PM

Peculiar thing Jerry

Many people say they don't believe in the Bible but amazingly it's the most published book on the face of the earth. the Bible has been published in more than 2,300 languages and thus is available to more than 90 percent of the world’s population. On the average, more than a million Bibles are distributed each week! Billions of copies of either the whole Bible or part of it have been produced. Surely, there is no other book like the Bible.

The Bible was written over a 1600-year period. Its writers lived at different times and came from many walks of life. Some were farmers, fishermen, and shepherds. Others were prophets, judges, and kings. The Gospel writer Luke was a doctor. Despite the varied backgrounds of its writers, the Bible is harmonious from beginning to end.

There's a couple of books older than the Bible but they just sit in museums collecting dust.
Through the years many have tried to stop Bible reading and over the centuries tried to destroy it completely, a number of them being organized religions, go figure.
Yet it survives to this day and is still read by millions.
I really believe the problem is organized religion's abuse of the book to suit their own needs, financially and for control of the masses.
Our laws which are not all bad and serve a definite purpose are for the most part derived from the Bible.
Why has it survived? Is it really written by just men over a 1600 year period and not an inspired book.

I'm not so sure my friend. It has to make one wonder it really does.
I like to research things just like you.

Excellent thought provoking write Jerry

Take care

Eric

My favorite oxymoron, "rap music"

JerryPat
since 2010-10-30
Posts 1991
Louisiana/America
4 posted 2010-12-20 07:43 AM

Appreciate the indepth comments, Eric. I am aware, of course, that the Bible has survived and more or less prospered throughout the centuries where other similar documents haven't.

I'm certainly no scholar of any ilk, but I have a feeling the Bible has been prominent throughout the ages  because of stalwart dedication of its charges and not leastwise the church leadership. Having a dedicated flock is beneficial to any religion and Christianity has certainly had that in spades.

In my case, although I was brought up in the Southern Baptist Church, and was baptized one sweltering, hot summer day, I never believed what my Sunday School teachers and the preachers taught me, I just went along to get along. The only reason I was "saved" was because it was during a revival at my church and the visiting hell and brimstone preacher all but drug me from where I was sitting to the front of the church and salvation.

My heretic words does not mean that I don't basically uphold the teaching of the Bible. I believe it is a good blueprint for how to conduct yourself on a daily basis if you can take the Ten Commandants and a few other things and leave the rest behind. In other words, be selective what to actually believe.

Religion, per se, can be a very destructive thing, as we can see daily in any newspaper or television news. This time it is Islam who has decided to wreck havoc on the world. Christianity had its day also with the witch hunts worldwide and the "Crusades."

Hope this may explain better where I'm at, Eric. Again, thanks for being here.

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
5 posted 2010-12-20 08:24 AM

Jerry, I know exactly where you are comming from on the Bible and I kinda fall in line with you. Loved your poem.  I like that you said out loud attitude that have been in my head.
Lori

JerryPat
since 2010-10-30
Posts 1991
Louisiana/America
6 posted 2010-12-20 08:25 AM

Hi Lori. Good seeing you here, and thank you for reading and commenting. It is appreciated.

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
7 posted 2010-12-20 01:05 PM

Jerry
I fully understand why you feel the way you do.
Once again I'm not too much of a fan of religion that is responsible for inhumane acts. The book (Bible)has been used for the wrong purpose but then that's not the only thing in this life that get used for the wrong purpose.
We are so very flawed in so many ways but then that too has a certain beauty to it.

I don't think you have been conveniently saved because that's only something you can do for yourself one way or another. Wrong to single you out before you have a clear understanding. But then, we've all been wronged in some way. The important thing is to think for yourself and make your own closures, you'll enjoy your own tomorrows if you do and I mean that in no way to be selfish.

Hit the work bench one and all!!

Eric

JerryPat
since 2010-10-30
Posts 1991
Louisiana/America
8 posted 2010-12-20 01:27 PM

"The important thing is to think for yourself and make your own closures"

I intend to do just that, Eric. After I am finished with the novel I am working on now, "Ouroboros: Terror in Thibodaux" I will begin a new one about a man's search for truth within himself.

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
9 posted 2010-12-20 09:06 PM

GOOD TITLE!

I'd have to read that one.

Eric

JerryPat
since 2010-10-30
Posts 1991
Louisiana/America
10 posted 2010-12-20 09:31 PM

Ah, thanks Eric. It will be a while yet, just getting into the editing/revision part of it.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
11 posted 2010-12-20 09:34 PM

One of the biggest arguments FOR religion is the hatred of the people against it. Is the Bible authentic? It's sort of like..is there a heaven? One of those questions no one alive can answer for sure and one that will never be answered as long as one is alive. My girl, who is very religious, summed it up very nicely by saying, "I can't say for certain anything exists but, just in case there is, I'm not taking any chances". I can relate to logic like that.

Do I believe the stories in the Bible as being authentic? No, but I will defer to Einstein, who said, "The more I see of the complexity of the universe, the more I believe in God." It would be one hell of a coincidence if everything just happened to fit into place on it's own, I think.

JerryPat
since 2010-10-30
Posts 1991
Louisiana/America
12 posted 2010-12-20 10:06 PM

Those who argue against the Master Creator maintain that everything didn't just happened to fit into place on its own, it took centuries and centuries. I know more about the creationist's argument than I do about Darwin's. To tell the truth when you think, really think about it both concepts stretch the imagination, although Darwin's less so. At least with his theory there is a natural order to it, not making a woman out of Adam rib. And the snake. The fruit. Believe that and you believe we are all incestuous.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » Thoughts of the Season

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary