navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » The Twenty Nine
Open Poetry #46
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Twenty Nine Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
time prophet
since 2003-07-30
Posts 371
In New Zealand Amongst the Ancient Trees

0 posted 2010-11-24 05:25 PM

twenty nine
deep in a hole in the ground
trying to earn an honest crust
in the dark amidst the heat
and the black coal dust
none that I knew
but now a whole nation do
we know not from where
that small spark came
which rent the air
shaking the ground
blowing debris 2.2k
out the portal round
twenty nine good honest blokes
who at the end of the day
liked to share a drink and a joke
husbands, fathers, brothers,
uncles, grandfathers, sons
whose days have ended
with the setting sun
the nation mourns
twenty nineworking men
that went up the hole
never to return again
at Pike River Mine 2010

The youngest was a 17 year old West Coast teenager on his first day underground and the oldest was 62.

Most were New Zealanders, but there were also two Scotsmen, two Australians and a South African.

Those claimed by the tragedy:

- Conrad John Adams, 43, of Greymouth.

- Malcolm Campbell, 25, a Scotsman living in Greymouth, was to marry his New Zealand fiancee on December 18.

- Glen Peter Cruse, 35, Cobden.

- Allan John Dixon, 59, of Runanga. Father of two children.

- Zen Wodin Drew, 21, of Greymouth, an apprentice builder.

- Christopher Peter Duggan, 31, of Greymouth, had not been working in mining for very long and had moved from forestry because he wanted a change.

- Joseph Ray Dunbar, from Greymouth, had just turned 17 and was the youngest of the miners. He was meant to start work on Monday but begged to be allowed to begin work early.

- John Leonard Hale, 45, of Ruatapu.

- Daniel Thomas Herk, 36, of Runanga, grew and had worked in mines a long time.

- David Mark Hoggart, 33, of Foxton.

- Richard Bennett Holling, 41, of Blackball, had been married for just over a year.

- Andrew David Hurren, 32, of Greymouth.

- Jacobus (Koos) Albertus Jonker, 47, of Cobden, but originally from South Africa, did not like working in the mine because he felt it was unsafe. Reports said he had applied to transfer a day before the explosion.

- William John Joynson, 49, of Dunollie, originally from Australia and had been working for a number of years in NZ and Australian mines. Married father of two.

- Riki Steve Keane, 28, of Greymouth, played first five-eighth for Blaketown seniors Rugby Team.

- Terry David Kitchin, 41, from Runanga, had finished his shift before the explosion, but opted to do two hours overtime.

- Samuel Peter Mackie, 26, of Greymouth.

- Francis Skiddy Marden, 41, of Runanga.

- Michael Nolan Hanmer Monk, 23, from Greymouth, a rugby star.

- Stuart Gilbert Mudge, 31, of Runanga, was originally from Whangarei.

- Kane Barry Nieper, 33, of Greymouth, was married to the daughter of a local contractor and had a young family.

- Peter O'Neill, 55, from Runanga, a West Coast rugby league identity.

- Milton John Osborne, 54, of Ngahere. A Grey District councillor and "great guy.

- Brendan John Palmer, 27, of Cobden, a former farmer, had been working at Pike River for a few months. His father Marty also worked in the mine, but was on a different shift on the day of the explosion.

- Benjamin David Rockhouse, 21, of Greymouth, brother of Daniel Rockhouse, one of the two surviving miners.

- Peter James Rodger, 40, of Greymouth, was originally from Scotland. A former oil rig worker.

- Rugby league player Blair David Sims, 28, of Greymouth, married and the father of two daughters.

- Australian Joshua Adam Ufer, 25, was on secondment to the mine. His fiancee Rachelle Weaver is three months pregnant.

- Keith Thomas Valli, 62, commuted each week from his home in Wairio, near Winton in central Southland. Bearing a name long-linked with mining, he formerly worked in a mine at Nightcaps.

We all mourn the loss

may your god go with you
and be with your families

© Copyright 2010 Frank Bennett - All Rights Reserved
Andrew Scott
Member Elite
since 1999-06-24
Posts 2558
Redlands,CA,USA
1 posted 2010-11-24 05:52 PM

A fine tribute to the fallen. May they all find peace in the here after.
JerryPat
since 2010-10-30
Posts 1991
Louisiana/America
2 posted 2010-11-24 09:17 PM

Taking from the earth is a most dangerous job. The sad thing is, for most miners the pay sucks.

. . . and the Raven said, %!~#&(&#!$!

Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
3 posted 2010-11-25 12:39 PM

Thank you for paying such a fine tribute to them.  Listing their names does make it more real to those far away and I join with you in your wish for them.

Helen

Bastet
since 2010-05-07
Posts 246

4 posted 2010-11-25 12:48 PM

A beautiful tribute to these hard-working men who lost their lives on the job. What a tragedy and a  waste of human life! Thank you for this poem.
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
5 posted 2010-11-25 06:58 AM

Frank, nice to read you. You can always touch the heart with your words. Such a tragedy when people try so hard to make a living in such dangerous conditions. I don't think the world appreciates what these and others contribute to make our lives more comfortable.

M

gilead
since 2008-03-10
Posts 1067
nevada, USA
6 posted 2010-11-25 03:33 PM

A great tragedy raised to the height of excellent art! Thanks for the labor of love in this marvelous art of poetry. --

Best wishes,

Art

time prophet
since 2003-07-30
Posts 371
In New Zealand Amongst the Ancient Trees
7 posted 2010-11-25 08:37 PM

Thanks to you all for your kind thoughts and words. It looks like it will be many weeks before the mine can be rendered safe enough to enter and retrieve the 29 who did not come out. We can only hope it will be much sooner than some estimates that are currently being put forward.
s1nfully_1nn0c3nt
since 2003-10-26
Posts 1105
Watertown, NY
8 posted 2010-11-26 12:03 PM

A beautiful heartfelt tribute.

-Trina.

"A heart that can't feel its broken- can't heal."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » The Twenty Nine

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary