navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » Disillusionment
Open Poetry #46
Post A Reply Post New Topic Disillusionment Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines

0 posted 2010-07-26 07:33 AM

Disillusionment

I've tried these many years
to put behind
that which was so imperfectly perfect
to me once...
But as time goes on,
I wonder if others ever feel the fear
that can arise when least expected,
that maybe I won't make it.
That my accomplishments (if any)
meant nothing to anyone
and when I cease to exist
I will not be remembered...
at all.

M

"Love is not blind - It sees more and not less, but because it sees more, it is willing to see less."
(Will Moss)

[This message has been edited by nakdthoughts (07-26-2010 08:21 AM).]

© Copyright 2010 Wynter Bliss - All Rights Reserved
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

1 posted 2010-07-26 07:56 AM

ah~~  something we all wonder I think. Truth is, our accomplishments touch more people than we know, and we will never know how what we have said, done, acted upon, will impactother people or the world. All wwe can do with certainty....is to do what we know is right, and to try. that in itself is an accomplishment..

secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
2 posted 2010-07-26 10:26 AM

powerful 'write' ...

and believe me ... there are all-to-many of us that 'feel that fear' !

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2010-07-26 10:59 AM

M~

When I do have a chance to drop in here for a moment now and then, (not as often as I'd like), I try to find your thread.  You do make a difference!  Your poetry is easy to relate to, and much enjoyed.  Thank you for continuing to post.  

I often ask myself if I make a difference, as well.   I think most people wonder if they are, or will be remembered.

misc

easy1
since 2010-05-22
Posts 1209
Southeastern USA
4 posted 2010-07-26 11:10 AM

No effort along such a path is ever wasted, and there is never "no one around."
Eldest
since 2010-06-15
Posts 177
Alabama
5 posted 2010-07-26 11:10 AM

as long as the Internet is around, the words left here will exist, even if they are rarely read.
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
6 posted 2010-07-26 04:35 PM

M

Mark Strand has at least two poems
from Dark Harbor, (VIII and XL), that
share your concern so you're in good
company.

What does it matter?  It was the journey
that was worthwhile.

John

PS You can find the poems I refer to in his New
Selected Poems.

The Lady
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-12-26
Posts 7634
The Southwest
7 posted 2010-07-29 06:24 PM

very profound M  
I believe most of us hope we leave our footprints behind somewhere

Andrew Scott
Member Elite
since 1999-06-24
Posts 2558
Redlands,CA,USA
8 posted 2010-07-29 10:42 PM

As a teacher, I understand your feelings all too well. At the end of each year you wonder if your efforts will make a lasting difference, much less, be recognized for it in the years to come.  Though, I believe it is the little things we never consider that often make the biggest impact on others.
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
9 posted 2010-07-30 06:52 PM

yep, I've felt that way too

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
10 posted 2010-07-30 06:57 PM

Fine writing...James
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
11 posted 2010-07-31 04:29 PM

Yes, Maureen, Many of us feel the fear. Maybe the fact that we are able to feel things so deeply is a glimmer of hope. We have to wonder how all our thoughts, dreams, hopes and loves just suddenly end.
                                  Ida

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
12 posted 2010-07-31 06:19 PM

Just stop and think back Maureen. Is there one or more teachers you remember with good feeling? I remember the kindergarten teacher who had a little monkey puppet that she kept in the closet. On special days she would take it out and share it with us and although I do not remember what she said while using it I do remember that I thought it was real and I am sure the other kids did also. I remember my fourth grade teacher because she opened our eyes to poetry with the book of Robert Louis Steven's poems and others. Even remember some of the poems. I with fond heart remember an older Sunday school teacher who not only taught Sunday school but had the young girls to her house weekly where we all sat and stitched squares of cloth which were made into a quilt to be given to a family who could use it. She served us little cups of hot chocolate before we left for home. I remember my mother's friend whom I baby sat for and whom I also loved to visit on days I felt lonely. She would make a pot of tea and serve it in nice cups and only crackers, but served them so graciously that when married I remembered it was not the food that was served but the gracious way in which it was served and the people who shared it. I remember the home economics teacher in Junior high who taught that mother’s milk was best for babies and so I nursed all six of mine, she also taught us how to clean a stove at the end of the season and I ran home to clean our gas stove. I never knew that it could be taken apart, jets and all, and cleaned and put back together.

Maureen I could go on and write a word or two of many women who have given me something along the years. I am positive that you, as a teacher, and who has a love of poetry and words, have impacted some little minds over the years and they will indeed remember you. With fondness for you,  latearrival. Jo

Earl Brinkman
since 2010-03-03
Posts 1183
Osaka, Japan
13 posted 2010-08-01 09:32 AM

Nice write and I believe that most of us feel that way one way or another at times.  The important thing is not to dwell upon it and to keep pushing forward.  Life is not a popularity contest but something to love and to cherish because it is precious.  And I wouldn`t worry about people loving you because they do.
Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
14 posted 2010-08-04 01:43 PM

Maureen - you'll always be remembered...

BC

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
15 posted 2010-08-06 12:27 PM

Tell me about it!!!  But you know Maur, we don't always see ourselves the way others do.

You have such a sensitive and caring soul, and it shows.

Hugs, you~

Richy
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 3050

16 posted 2010-08-06 06:22 AM

Dear Maureen,

In the grand scheme of things, memory yes, is fleeting. But if we look at it in the terms of we are, the product of millions and billions of decisons, heartbreak, and joys from past generations, then maybe we can take some solace, that future wonders of living will in some way be influenced by our being.

Blessings to you dearheart.
Richard xx

Oklahoma Rose
since 2008-02-28
Posts 1586
Oklahoma USA
17 posted 2010-08-07 10:19 PM

I can tell you now Maureen that I for one will always remember you.
Novus_Os
since 2010-07-21
Posts 115
West Coast, USA
18 posted 2010-08-08 12:24 PM

My mother, may she rest in peace, would say this to me "We don't have eyes on the tips of our fingers". She meant we can never see ourselves the way others do. Although I don't know your,  your honesty, and courage to share, will be remembered by me.

Best Regards,

Novus_Os

Life is meant to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
19 posted 2010-08-08 02:50 AM

Maureen -

"That my accomplishments (if any)
meant nothing to anyone"

I'm sure there have been many accomplishments and the important thing, I think, is that you remember them.  

Helen

RMW
since 2001-03-21
Posts 1424

20 posted 2010-08-09 12:39 PM

M ..... what Capt. Hair wrote, and, not to worry. Always a pleasure to read you. Bob
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
21 posted 2010-08-12 06:40 PM

well I am going to try thanking everyone again..the  one I just posted had too many  smilies in it and wouldn't submit. So I will start off with a big smilie for everyone!
   and  

Cpat, I know I have accomplished many things but sometimes  feel unappreciated.

secondhanddreampoet, I know you understand. Thanks!

miscellanea, I am always glad to see you here, also. I hope you have a great school year!

easy1, Eldest , thank you both for stopping to respond. If I haven't welcomed you before I do so now.

John, thank you for introducing me to Mark Strand. I did have a problem finding those two poems though. And you are correct about the journey being what is important.

The Lady , well I have left  plenty of footprints even if small ones.

Andrew Scott, wishing you a great teaching career. And it is  the little things that I come to enjoy from the classes I have taught or been involved with.

Dixie, good to see you and to know you are happy. hugs

JamesM, thanks!

Ida, you have me wondering.

Jo, I remember many teachers and people in my life who have made an impact on me. Especially the children I have been involved with. I use to sew clothes for the needier  children, take them bowling on weekends,  have bicycle rodeos after school with the state police supervising and even cook meals with the classes for reading themes. All
that had to change, probably due to  possibility of lawsuits. I use to have the kids want to stay after school as rewards and help me do things, or plan  their own special lessons of the week and then drive them home. They certainly have left me with many memories. Even as a long term substitute a couple of years back  I helped them make diversity quilt squares for their reading themes. I hope they have as fond memories of it as I do.

Earl, thank you for your kind words.

BC and I you!

Lor, Hey sometimes  I don't see myself  the same two days in a row! Missing you! Hope all is well on the west coast! hugssssssss

Richy ,thank you for always beeing here and giving me a "lift".

Sue, and I shall always remember you. Thank you. I hope your parents are feeling better.

Novus_Os, I love that saying "We don't have eyes on the tips of our fingers". Thank you for that!

Helen, I will always remember all that has meaning in my life. Including all the fond memories here on pip.

Bob, so great to see you here. You are missed. Always a pleasure  when you show up! Hope  you are doing well!

Thank you everyone!
M  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » Disillusionment

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary