navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Anchored in the Gleaming
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Anchored in the Gleaming Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida

0 posted 2011-12-17 10:59 PM

i am apprehensive of these bearings,
looking at them with
hesitant desire.
there is a need for change,
a tempering - and its always there now,
the low hum of requiem.

perhaps this delicate devotion will survive,
if the force of separation manages
to reduce this need down to quiet conversations;
a 5am murmur
pooled in the quiet of my ear.

a craving that curls around my belly,
teeth anchored in the gleaming;
and each small unfolding, quick catch of breath
is precious and unobtainable.
i am careless and shocked at the
pull of this ledge;
but if i have a faith
it is in the long, slow death.

i stalk about in the woods behind
our house, and blow bubbles on saturdays
i studied mathematics and logic
i write... this, nonsense
and call it poetry
and it seems my mind forces
each small parallel into some devised compatibility,
even still...

i wonder if you would catch my breath
and make me stammer,
drop your hands over me
speak in your tones, pressed to the
soft Oh of my mouth
and remark
on possibilities that leave me sleepless for days;
thoughts in wide staggering arcs,
somehow
shift
this existence, so that i might
jump when you speak, and
pray when you breathe.

© Copyright 2011 Nicole Williams - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2011-12-17 11:08 PM

Okay, a change is on  your horizon. But it seems to be a change just for change's sake. If not, the last two lies is the poem.

~*~ If they give you lined paper, write sideways. ~*~

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2011-12-18 01:09 AM

Nicole, I am in awe of the quiver-sensitivity of this multi-leveled magnificence, this invitation to your readers to wander through your superbly sensitive and developed heart and mind.  If I have read the essence of your poem correctly, I say go for it.  Hang on with both hands and feet and your heart and your soul to the light.  It is a wonderful place to be anchored.

And your poetry is never nonsense.  It is all you see in mine and more.

Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2011-12-18 05:19 AM

I have read your stunning poem several times as it has a tremendous magnetic force about it that makes me relate, even though I may walk different roads. Yet my mind connects to yours through the power of your words.

Excellent work!

Love,
Margherita

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
4 posted 2011-12-18 06:10 AM

Your poetry is never nonsence, Nicole. You are one of the most talented poets on the site and should always continue to write...and I will continue to read.
                               Ida

EmmaRose
since 2011-03-02
Posts 1376
Midwest
5 posted 2011-12-18 09:47 AM

I also have a love/hate relationship with my poetry, oftentimes wishing I did not have to write it, or that it is a bunch of bable, but much of the time feeling grateful that I am able to write it out.
I think your poem is outstanding and do hope
I am not entirely offkilter in my response

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
6 posted 2011-12-18 11:43 AM

Again , in one of yours, I love the last stanza - again, a stand-alone piece that grabs the heart and declares --- this is me!

j.

JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
7 posted 2011-12-18 12:12 PM

I have always heard it said: “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.”
You however, have made that exception with your poetry.  Touching yet encircling reality, tenderness yet effectively rich in a welcoming sharing with that someone special; a beautiful pouring out of a pure at heart “gleaming” of which you are tied to.
To me, this is a stunning write.  If it is nonsense poetry, a lament in your living, then we all should be enhanced to be so "anchored" by your words.

JL

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul,and with all your mind. Love your neighbor as yourself.
Maranatha!

secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
8 posted 2011-12-18 03:58 PM

powerfully emotive/effective writing!

particularly fine ending lines:

" ... so that i might
jump when you speak, and
pray when you breathe."

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
9 posted 2011-12-19 06:57 AM

Jerry - Change is change, regardless, I reckon.  Thanks for the reply.

Owl - You are so kind and thoughtful.  Your insight and interpretations are always welcome.  Thank you for reading me and reaching out.

Margherita - That is such a wonderful thing to hear!  To make a connection through poetry, though walking different paths through life...thank you so much

Ida - I will continue to write, and to read, and learn from the truly great poets (you, for example)   Thank you...

Emma - You are not off kilter at all, you're spot on.  It can be so frustrating at times, but it is so so rewarding, too.  Thank you

J - My friend, I'm truly glad you saw the 'this is me'.  I don't think I could write any other way.     Thank you

JL - It was a toss up between this, and writing about potroast.     Seriously, though - I'm at a loss for words in adequate reply to you, and such a thoughtful response. I am humbled; thank you very much

Poet - Thank you!  The ending lines, were actually the beginning lines for a long time until the final rewrite.  I'm glad I closed with them.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
10 posted 2011-12-20 02:45 PM

This is an amazing piece, Nicole.  Made me stammer.     It’s strange how, no matter how much or what we study – not matter what knowledge and logic we acquire, there are things that will always move us that we will never have conscious control over.  Apprehension won’t prevent the risktaking, and time can never truly temper that pull.  Follow the possibilities you speak of… you might find a long enjoyable life instead of that long slow death.

Michael

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
11 posted 2011-12-20 08:51 PM

I love the way the words of this flow off my tongue. I read poetry outloud, as if telling someone elses story to myself.
The stanzas end with the beauty and elegance of Sara Teasdale... I have always loved her poems.

By reading poems like this I feel that I understand women better...Thanks for continuing my education.

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
12 posted 2011-12-22 11:22 AM

perhaps this delicate devotion will survive,
if the force of separation manages
to reduce this need down to quiet conversations;
a 5am murmur
pooled in the quiet of my ear.

a craving that curls around my belly,
teeth anchored in the gleaming;
and each small unfolding, quick catch of breath
is precious and unobtainable.

It has been a while since I heard those precious murmurs, but the pull is unforgettable. And even when the leap ends in a crash and burn, somewhere in the sorrow is the knowledge that you've lived... that for glorious moments feet of lead learned to fly... and that makes the rest of existence worthwhile. *S*

This takes my breath away... *S*

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Anchored in the Gleaming

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary