navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » The Giggle
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Giggle Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

0 posted 2011-10-17 05:50 PM

The Giggle

Over the misty, murky mire of a mangled, marshy mud
rose a Moon betwixt the shadows 'neath a starry night above.
No bird beat wings. No mouse did squeak. Not even an owl's hoot
did pierce the stillness clinging to the trees and plants and roots.

I stomped upon the cigarette. The embers fumed and fizzled.
As I turned to go back inside, I swore I heard a giggle;
not large but small, not big but tiny, not huge but very wee
behind the house, down by the marsh's solitary tree.

I stepped on leaves. I sloshed thru grass. I parted a bush with fear
and beheld a sight, not often seen, uncommonly vivid and rare.
A tiny stadium filled with bugs, some odd, some known by name
were giggling, cheering in tiny voices at an Insect Baseball game!

Miniature floodlights lit the diamond. A roach hit a highball fly.
A beetle with cap and glove caught it. The audience roared and sighed.
I couldn't believe it ! My mind was blown ! Legs and feet went limp
as mosquito vendors shouted "Get your hotdogs, burgers and shrimp !"

Mesmerized, my face went slack. The muscles cramped my jaw.
Only a spectacle like this comes once to remember forevermore.
I moved and something snapped or cracked, a limb, a twig, a branch.
All bugs did turn their eyes on me. Their glare....an avalanche!

They scattered in an instant, even turned off all the lights
and plunged the field in darkness making shadows of the night.
The beating wings, the mouse's squeak, the owl's nightly hoot
now pierced the calm to chase the bugs in hungry, hot pursuit.
And the tiny voices faded 'neath a starry night above
in the misty, murky mire of a mangled, marshy mud.

Namyh

© Copyright 2011 Namyh - All Rights Reserved
ken206573
since 2008-10-14
Posts 487

1 posted 2011-10-17 05:58 PM

Who knew that bugs played baseball. I laughed and giggled at each line, what fun this poetry brings. Simply enjoyable
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2011-10-17 06:08 PM

Delightful, Namyh!  I just wish that they had known that you meant them no harm and that they didn't have to experience that fear and also the end of their game!

Owl

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
3 posted 2011-10-17 06:39 PM

Haha! If I'd written this giggly piece somebody'd say it was a 1960's acid flashback.

Cute poem.

~* The saddest words of tongue or pen are the words It might have been.--John Greenleaf Whittier ~*~

Dinosr
since 2011-10-08
Posts 68
Yavapai, Arizona
4 posted 2011-10-17 08:35 PM

You named this picture of humor perfectly.
Very delightful.

God Bless.        Karl

Dinosr
All rights reserved

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

5 posted 2011-10-17 11:29 PM

Ken – “what fun this poetry brings” is perhaps the quintessential compliment of all and I thank you for it. Bugs do indeed play baseball and have a league of their own. I even got trading cards. LOL. I am so happy this made you laugh and giggle. Now I’m startin’ to. Thanks for enjoying Ken. Namyh
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

6 posted 2011-10-17 11:32 PM

Owl – If I was a bug, I guess I would be scared of those predators known as human beings too and start running. You just never know what they’re capable of. When I stepped on that twig or branch, I thought the bugs were going to lynch me. I could be wrong but I would have sworn I heard a bedbug say “Hang him and hang him high, Clint”. However, I feel fortunate to have survived their onslaught to write this and truly delight you. Batter up!
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

7 posted 2011-10-17 11:36 PM

JerryPat – Hey! I thought that was you at the 60's rally JP. Remember me. I was the guy waving at ya with the purple sunglasses, the blue head bandana, the tie-dye shirt and hush-puppies carrying a guitar with “PEACE” painted on it. You will be delighted to know that this “Giggle” was composed with bug compassion, insect intellect and just a tab of “a 1960’s acid flashback”. I’m almost ready to sing Gum-bi-ya. LOL. Hope you had fun JP and thanks for stopping in for some bug baseball humor. Namyh
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
8 posted 2011-10-18 04:15 AM

Yes, Namyh, you are so right and the bugs were right to be afraid of a human - but just not of you.  How were they to know that you are bug-friendly (as I am too)?  It was better for them to err on the side of caution than to risk your having been like most humans.  Perhaps you could find a bug to teach you bug-language, so next time, you can let them know you are a friend - but hey! - you DO speak bug-language - otherwise how would you have understood that one was calling for your hanging!  Perhaps a big placard around your neck saying FRIEND OF ALL BUGS will help along with telling them you are a friend and you would love to watch their game!

Owl

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
9 posted 2011-10-18 08:17 AM

namyh,
An excellent rendering from a most vivid imagination, and, a beautiful start to a day.
Doc

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
10 posted 2011-10-18 09:10 AM

This is pure delight!!! I'm not used to starting my day with a grin this big, but it feels good... thank you! *S*
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
11 posted 2011-10-18 03:16 PM

I gotta say I love your imagination.  And the beautiful flow accents the magic of the poem.

Truly enjoyable.

Michael

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
12 posted 2011-10-18 04:50 PM

A giggle begets a giggle and I'm giggling, to be sure! What a delightful piece of expressed imagination! At least least I think this was an imaginary story! lol It was so realistically told and a joy to behold!

Love & Bug Lights,
Linda

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
13 posted 2011-10-18 04:51 PM

Charming! At first I thought it was going
to be a Hallowe'en charmer,
but it's just a bug's [dis]armor!

Thanks for sharing, Namyh!

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

14 posted 2011-10-18 11:13 PM

Dinosr – When that giggle was heard and started everything, I just knew something was up. But when I later went to putting it all in words, it was that “misty, murky, mire” phrase that rattled like a marble in my head for days which lets you know how much space was available for the rolling. Whoa! I am so delighted that you found this delightful and loved the title. Thanks Karl. Namyh
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

15 posted 2011-10-18 11:15 PM

Owl – I appreciate the advice and I’ve been to several insect games since, met their families and given talks myself on bug/human intervention techniques. I’m learning the languages and that makes me practically family. I am totally elated that you had fun here and thanks for stopping in again with your words. Namyh

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

16 posted 2011-10-18 11:16 PM

Dr. Moose – Don’t ask me how this work got started. Okay! Okay! if you insist. I got a flat and stopped next to a forest area to change the tire. When returning the tire and changer to the trunk, I heard a sound like tiny insects giggling but couldn’t pinpoint it. I left but some days later around 2am in the morning, I awoke and began creating this work. True story! Now there! You finally dragged it out of me Doc. LOL. Amazing where our inspirations come from sometimes. And it only took imagination, a wake up and a raspberry rum latte. Poets! Go figure! Yet there is no better medal of honor for a poet’s imagination than to have one of its creations inject beauty in the start of a fellow poet’s day. Who could ask for more. I’m stocking up on Brasso for polishing it right now! Thanks to your bedside manner, I’m startin’ to feel a lot better. Thanks for the medication Doc. Namyh
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

17 posted 2011-10-18 11:19 PM

Suthern – I can see that grin from here. Wow! Now that is really a big one. One that big is rarely seen anymore. You are indeed lucky S. And if the pure delight you derived from this piece was responsible, then I’m honored to be the author who brings the smiles which feel good and start the day. I wonder if I can get an early morning talk show out of this. And I want you as my first guest suthern. Now let me see your big smile about that one. Whoooa! I’m impressed! LOL. Thanks for making these old bones ‘grin big’ again. Namyh
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » The Giggle

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary