navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Epauletted Fruit Bats
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Epauletted Fruit Bats Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2011-09-29 02:53 PM

EPAULETTED FRUIT BATS
29 September 2011

Who would think
these precious little creatures
could make such joyous
pan flute remember-music
that fills the air to dream by
the whole night long?

Owl

© Copyright 2011 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
1 posted 2011-09-29 03:54 PM

You know I've never "heard" fruit bats before, but just the reference to the pan flute is enough to make me dig for a sound wave.  Sounds incredibly peaceful.

Michael  

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2011-09-29 03:58 PM

It's actually a bit more "trilly" than a pan flute, but it is as beautiful and it is difficult to believe that they are not birds in an operatic chorus.  Thanks for your reply, Michael.

Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2011-09-29 04:52 PM

I recently learned of the existence of fruit bats and I very much enjoy your beautiful tribute to these extremely useful flying mammals. They eat the fruit which is too ripe or damaged. I did not know though of their pan-flute like tune ... Amazing!

Love,
Margherita

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
4 posted 2011-09-30 02:24 AM

Thanks for reading, Margherita.  Actually, as I said to Michael above, the sound, is more trilly.  

The reason the pan flute music pushed itself into my poem, is because the effect of the music of the epauletted fruit bats is the same effect as pan flute music has on me - and because of the purity of their musical notes.  I realise that I should have found a musical instrument more similar to their call, to compare them to, because I am giving a wrong impression of their call - and as you will know, I like to describe creatures of nature, more correctly.

Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
5 posted 2011-09-30 08:37 AM

Don't worry about the precise definiton of their song dear Owl. It's beautiful, because it is unique.

Tu sais que les chauve-souris frugivores dispersent les graines en vol et participent à la reforestation?! Et: pas de bananes sans chauve-souris pollinatrices! Mythic!

For you another precious information I found in the article of CLES: D'un point de vue éthologique, des chercheurs de l'université du Texas étudient leurs modes de communication et espèrent démontrer l'existence d'un langage fait de clics et de bourdonnements: une sorte de grammaire primitive!

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

6 posted 2011-09-30 10:54 AM

In another life I might be a world traveler and  hear more of the music of life such as this.  Thanks for sharing your joy.
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
7 posted 2011-09-30 03:03 PM

Margherita, you are probably the only person who has ever received an email from not just one epauletted fruit bat, but a whole lot of them!  They told me that they absolutely loved your reply to them!  Thanks for the nice things you said to them about me.

Merci beaucoup pour les informations au sujet des chauves-souris.  Ce sont des choses que je n’ai pas su.  Les studies de leur langue et de leur grammaire (pas si primitives qu’on n’y pense, j’en suis sûr) m’intérèsse tellement!

Thank you, Krawdad.  It is my pleasure.

Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Epauletted Fruit Bats

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary