navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » haiku: Special Olympics
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic haiku: Special Olympics Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
flash
since 2010-11-28
Posts 213
miami beach, florida

0 posted 2011-09-16 03:44 PM

Special Olympics
the last place finisher's
broad smile

*Watching the Special Olympics on TV the other day, it was so heartwarming when--after the race--the camera zoomed in on the kids and they were all smiling--even the last place finisher--it was so captivating-their smiling faces lit up the screen as if each had WON THE RACE!

Gracious in defeat. And beyond that, these challenged kids seem to know instinctively that zero-sum is not the only way -- that competing whole-heartedly can bring joy regardless of the outcome. We could all learn a thing or two from that, in games and in life.

--Al

[This message has been edited by flash (09-16-2011 06:45 PM).]

© Copyright 2011 al fogel - All Rights Reserved
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
1 posted 2011-09-16 03:51 PM

Now THAT is what all sport should be about!  Love it!

I always told my children, on their Sports Days at school (but regarding all aspects of their life too), that if they come last and have done their best, I am proud of them, but if they come first and didn't try their best, I am not proud of them.  I also taught them to be gracious losers.  However, you can only teach somebody something they are willing to learn, so I only had a small part in their learning both of those lessons.

I also keep telling anyone who is prepared to listen that sport is a GAME and not a WAR, as it more often than not appears to be in international sport.  

Now, our Comrades Marathon (in South Africa) proves that it is possible to compete with a competitive, but compassionate spirit.  It is an ultra-marathon of 90kms from Durban to Pietermaritzburg on alternate years and the opposite direction on the other years - and we have many thousands of runners (I don't have the figures) and from many, many countries - and the comraderie in it is incredible.  The day of the race, the whole race is televised, and on many, an occasion during that day I have tears rolling down my cheeks at the beauty of the spirit of the runners.

Owl

flash
since 2010-11-28
Posts 213
miami beach, florida
2 posted 2011-09-16 06:45 PM

Owl: Thanks for the generous comment and wonderful story about the South African Marathon and how it relates. Running that many miles--I'm sure all the competitors reveived wonderful hand-shakes and hugs when it was all over.

And you taught your children sportsmanship--to be gracious even in defeat--a wonderful life-lesson. Thanks for sharing.

Al  

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2011-09-17 03:49 AM

Very touching, dear Al! I love how you were aware of the significance of these smiles and how you shared the precious moment with us, to ponder and to enjoy. Too many have forgotten the true spirit of sports events.

Children indeed so many times are at risk because of the adults' bad example. We destroy their natural god-given wisdom.

A most beautiful sharing!

Love,
Margherita

JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
4 posted 2011-09-17 10:17 AM

Al, you have a very special heart.
This is a wonderful write!

Thank God for people like you!

JL

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul,and with all your mind. Love your neighbor as yourself.
Maranatha!

flash
since 2010-11-28
Posts 213
miami beach, florida
5 posted 2011-09-18 06:02 PM

Margherita, JL: Thanks for the read and generous comments. Much appreciated.

Al

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

6 posted 2011-09-19 01:27 AM

No winner take all
at the Special Olympics
Happy to take part!

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
7 posted 2011-09-20 06:12 PM

Enjoyed...James
BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
8 posted 2011-09-23 02:54 PM

A wonderful message, joy in it's purest form!!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » haiku: Special Olympics

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary