navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Self Portrait
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Self Portrait Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2011-07-17 05:13 PM

Self Portrait

“Hastily sketched, never filled in,” my portrait on display.
As passers-by somewhere, somewhen, look but go on their way.
An image etched upon the mind holds me frozen in place.
The how and why not so unkind as the “who” who lines my face.

Forty plus years, slave to the grind, I’ve had not time to spare…
To look in eyes, to hug, to hold, or even say, “I care.”
Nor claim with tears, from ties that bind, one heartfelt obligation,
As soft white lies, both dark and cold, held me in isolation.

My safety net, I honed it well while no others could find me…
All those days spent within the hell of passions that defined me.
The blood now let, I wake alone, if but an apparition
In slow descent from the high throne I dared to call ambition.

The piercing eyes no longer there, given way to vexation,
I trudge along the littered path of guilted rumination.
The deemed fair prize I stand to bear, if damned by my own choices,
The right and wrong and muddled wrath heard in yesterday’s voices.

The gallantry of memory, achievements tossed the void.
A gallery of misery – of love and life destroyed…
Of time unkept, and chances swept away with hopes unspoken,
All while I slept and Solace wept for that in me yet broken.

Michael Anderson

Like one that on a lonesome road
Doth walk in fear and dread,
And having once turned round walks on,
And turns no more his head...

Coolridge

[This message has been edited by Michael (07-20-2011 01:49 PM).]

© Copyright 2011 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2011-07-17 05:20 PM

There is really only one thing that you can do better than any one else and that is to be you.

(*smile* Either you or Christopher told me that--not sure which.)

What a long strange trip it's been, eh?

Not sure what the inspiration is, but just know that I think we all hear these mean whispers from our pillows on sleepless nights from time to time.

(And you owe me an e mail.)

Um, is it weird of me to say that I'm happy to read you again even when the content is so dark? *shrug* I'm still crazy after all these years...

wb Michael. *hugs*

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
2 posted 2011-07-18 04:44 PM

This displays cynism to a certain degree, but your looking  back is masterfully rendered.

As long as we breathe every day is a new beginning. You know that of course.

Very good!

Love,
Margherita

Spiros Zafiris
since 2002-10-20
Posts 982
Canada
3 posted 2011-07-19 02:24 AM

..very well written, indeed..
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2011-07-19 06:00 AM

It is clichéd, I know, but in order to put things right and wrongs asunder you must go about forgiving yourself for any part of the "wrong" done. took me decades to understand this.

~ Eggs and bacon, honeymoon style / What's honeymoon style? / Straight up and hard. ~

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2011-07-19 06:53 AM

Some things never change..and the one that doesn't here is the quality of your writing. It's so nice to READ you again Michael.
Word Weaver
since 2011-03-06
Posts 437
California, USA
6 posted 2011-07-19 01:36 PM

Read Jerry Pat's comment; it says it all.

Write on poet, you're one of the best.

Marcia
www.thewritingforum.net

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2011-07-19 11:56 PM

My safety net, I honed it well while no others could find me…
All those days spent within the hell of passions that defined me.
The blood now let, I wake alone, if but an apparition
In slow descent from the high throne I dared to call ambition.

As I look at young couples these days, those words above I am afraid will ring all to true for far too many.

Well done indeed, and a lesson can be learned from this poem.  It read like a song believe it or not to me - a chorus, and presto!

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
8 posted 2011-07-20 01:38 PM

Karen, thank you, and it's good to be back.  I'll have to give Christopher credit for that quote -- makes far too much sense to have come from me.           Just because I can do it better doesn't mean I have to like it does it?  Long and strange, indeed... it feels good to be writing again even if the content is so dark  ((shrug)).

Margherita, "This displays cynism to a certain degree."           You don't have to be gentle with me.  I can wallow in self-pity with the best of them I know.  Truthfully, it may be more habit than reality at this point... I have to put serious work into not letting people like you rub their optimism off on me... lol  jk of course...  thank you for the kind words.

Spiros Zafiris, thank you very much.

JerryPat2, yeah... that self forgivness thing is a doozy...  but even when you accomplish it, the hurts you've done to yourself remain.  Maybe time will heal some of it, maybe not.  AS long as I feel them though, which seems to be alot of late with them staring me in the face on a daily basis, my pen may just be prisoner.  

Hey Sharon -- it's good to see you again.  What have you been up to?  Email me -- the Passions link is good again.

Marcia, thank you for the kind words.

Mysteria, thank you as well.  Once upon a time I used to own (and play) guitar.  I started writng songs long before I wrote poetry.  Unfortunately, being tone deaf turns out to be quite unforgiving to both poets, and songwriters... Either way, that you feel this poet has song like qualities to it I take as a huge compliment.  Again, thank you.

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
9 posted 2011-07-22 04:13 PM

This touches me on two levels... though perhaps touch is too tame a word. For I could drown most happily in your beautiful rhymes... but it's the words that leave tears. I hate that you've felt the hurt I read.
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
10 posted 2011-07-23 08:59 AM

Michael I’m not a fan of rhyme and rhythm in contemporary poetry, unless done superbly – and you do it superbly, so yes I am a fan of rhyme and rhythm in your art.  

Something about this poem, reminds me of “Dedication” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (a poem and a poet I love) though the two poems are very different in content (with the exception of “yesterday’s voices” - though Longfellow didn’t word them exactly like that - and perhaps a few other nuances), and different in rhythm – Dedication is written in pentameters and “Self Portrait” is in heptameters.  

I have made a rule that any poem of yours that I read, I HAVE to read it aloud, so as not to lose any of the effect of its exquisite musicality.

I applaud you for being able to see and acknowledge your negative aspects, but I feel the  need to encourage you to see the many positive ones too, that so many of your readers, besides me, obviously see too.  If you don’t see the positivity in yourself, read your poetry and pretend that it was written by somebody you don’t know.  You will then see yourself differently.  You need to be as kind to yourself as you are being to others now.  Regret serves the purpose, for a journey along a new path – not an easy one, but nothing worthwhile is easy.  Smiles.

Owl

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
11 posted 2011-07-23 02:54 PM

Suthern, your words touch me as well.  I was once told I bleed beautifully...  and while negativity is not the only side of emotion I'm capable of experiencing, it seems to be the one I am most capable of expressing at times.  Believe me though, I still smile and still have my good days... and alot of those smiles come from the friends I have here.     Thank you.

Owl, well you certain know how to pay a compliment... "I have made a rule that any poem of yours that I read, I HAVE to read it aloud, so as not to lose any of the effect of its exquisite musicality."

To me that is the highest compliment... and combined with your comments on "being kind" to myself, I am positively humbled.  Thank you.

I read "Dedication" this morning.  That is an equally haunting and beautiful poem.  I related well to the theme, one might even say connected with it.  Longfellow is one of my favorite's as well.

ebonygirl
Member Elite
since 2011-07-14
Posts 2000
California U.S.A
12 posted 2011-07-23 06:19 PM

Michael,
Liked your poem.
It resonates with me.
Ebonygirl

HippinTrippy
since 2010-03-26
Posts 103
New York
13 posted 2011-10-19 03:50 PM

I very much enjoyed reading this, and now cannot wait to delve further into your writing.
Thank you for sharing.

"Because he knows a frightful fiend,
Doth close behind him tread"

A stanza I have always remembered after reading it only once.. Very nice choice in signature. =)

It's not easy being evil, in a world gone to hell.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
14 posted 2011-10-20 06:17 PM

Thank you, Hippin Trippy.  I love your pen name, and look forward to reading more of you as well, especially if you're a Coleridge fan.

Michael

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
15 posted 2011-10-21 01:35 PM

I am also a Coleridge fan...and a Michael Anderson fan.
                                     Ida

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
16 posted 2011-10-22 08:09 PM

I will stand among the Michael Anderson fans - proudly.  This is really, really good writing.  Thank you, Michael, for all you share with us.

Alison

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
17 posted 2011-10-25 02:56 PM

Ida, thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed.

Alison, ‘tis my pleasure.

Michael

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Self Portrait

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary