navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Nearby...
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic Nearby... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon

0 posted 2009-11-16 08:48 PM

Among my pictures
are framed smiles of tender youth
saved in sepia, black and white, color.

Missing are images of some
living only within me now,
some that do not show the look,
or light of eye, or rivers of warmth
flowing the lifelines of my hands,
my heritage.

Remembered snippets,
a whispered whistle, tunelss under her breath,
clacking knitting needles commanded by fingers
that were never still, and  mirth that often
spilled ephiphanies when she laughed,
a little out of sync, after the fact ~

The zig-zag cut of my bangs
when the scissors appeared
and the command to hold still ~

Simply cinnamon anticipation
she held for us children, Saturdays, the way
we held savor for the rolls in the oven,
simple joy with no remorse
for shoulds or should nots~

Kindness, honesty, manners
the bread, the leaven,
and dreams born of white cotton,
sheets washed in pure possibility.

Melodious arrows forever lodge in soul,
trace the place where others go,
he and she, who called a small lass
"Pet," saved her cornflower bouquets
and her heart for eternity, in a small
space, safe where thunder rattled
mountains, and lighting wounded
the sky with purple vengeance ~

The creak of an old pump,
indentured servant of yesteryear,
coming with a warning not to taste
the frost it bore in winter, and
a memory of large white buttons
sewn on a red nylon dress ~

The smell of peppermint and tobacco
in the pocket of Grandad's Dickies ~
the wild shock of gray hair standing on end
where his forehead came to rest on stacked fists,
the after-dinner table his only place to snooze,
once appetite was sated with biscuits and gravy ~

Offspring grown, found roots indigenous
to seasons of return, sharing
each day, new, and bright with promise,

Stories grew hopes around that table:
adventures, misadventures
and home... my heart,
where they still gather, framed

with love.

[This message has been edited by Klassy Lassy (11-17-2009 12:31 AM).]

© Copyright 2009 Klassy Lassy - All Rights Reserved
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
1 posted 2009-11-16 09:27 PM

This is aboslutely wonderful, my friend - a very, very well written piece that resonates from from the soul.

I've always wanted to write it...and I'm glad that you did and you did it in a way I never could have done.

Beautiful, tender,soft write of heart and soul...

(such incoherence is not my ususal style...but I'm stumbling, trying find the words to say how it made me feel...)

Jimmy

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2009-11-16 09:35 PM

Memories wrapped in treasured heirloom lace doilies and hand knitted/crocheted gifts....
this write is one to treasure forever.

Thank you, for sharing this!

Into my library it goes.

Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
3 posted 2009-11-16 09:44 PM

Jimmy, thank you.  I think I understand how you feel about this poem.  Sometimes what comes in words upon a page is so much more than the letters, and we hear and see through the gifts of soul.  The ones we love give us such treasure and write on pages that come back in moments we could never have imagined.     
Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
4 posted 2009-11-16 09:56 PM

Aw, Kacy!...I started to write you a letter this morning...I shall have to finish it!  Thank you for keeping a wee bit of me. I don't remember doilies around when I was small.  There were simply too many necessities that had to come first.  Our lives were simpler then, but my mom knitted for my brother and me a lot sweaters, mittens, scarves...and baby afghans later on. She was good with her hands.  

Her family is all gone now, all five sisters and her brother.  A few years ago, her last surviving aunt passed at 100 years of age.  I spoke to Aunt Alice on the phone once.  She sounded so much like my grandma with her musical laughter that tears welled instantly.  After my mother passed away, I found Aunt Alice's address and wrote to her until she left us, too.  I have been very fortunate in the love that came from my mother's generation!  

[This message has been edited by Klassy Lassy (11-16-2009 11:30 PM).]

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
5 posted 2009-11-17 02:29 AM

Karen, a treasure of a write and written in a homespun style but with your trademark 'Klass'. I have thought of writing an 'heirloom' poem on my heritage hearth and home ~ but I have never gotten around to it. Yours is exceptionally warm and engaging and has brought your loved ones back for your readers to get a glimpse of who they really were. This is truly a treasure for you to share with your loved ones.

This was a beautiful piece of heartfelt writing. Thank you for sharing your family album with your readers.

May you have inherited your Great Aunt Alice's longevity gene!

Love you!

Linda

Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
6 posted 2009-11-17 03:29 AM

Karen - So lovely and touching.  Just yesterday I came across pictures of my father and grandmother which were lost for a time in my purse.  They have surfaced for a reason and I think you have given me the reason and that is to remember.  You have wonderful memories and have expressed them excellently.

Helen

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
7 posted 2009-11-17 12:46 PM

Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories with us, Klassy Lassy. I remember those simpler times and cherish them as well.
This is a keeper for me.
                            Ida

Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
8 posted 2009-11-17 09:29 PM

Linda, I hope you do write your poem.  They are hard to write because so much begins to flood your memories when you begin, but there is a presence, too, that opens within and all the qualities those special ones embodied wrap you, and you know they always do!

Thank you, lovely one!  ~Karen   

Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
9 posted 2009-11-17 09:37 PM

Honeybunch, I'm glad you found the pictures!  I think I need to be more diligent in using my camera. The younger generation is growing up so fast.  I only blinked!     ~Karen
Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
10 posted 2009-11-17 09:39 PM

Ida, thank you.  Be blessed... Those cherished times and hearts keep you, too!

~Karen

sewasham
since 2006-09-11
Posts 714
Oklahoma, USA
11 posted 2009-11-17 11:31 PM

A priceless write Karen. Just great. Take care and Have fun. Steve

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
12 posted 2009-11-18 08:20 AM

quote:
The creak of an old pump,
indentured servant of yesteryear,
coming with a warning not to taste
the frost it bore in winter

Wonderful write, dear Klassy Lassy, and the above lines pierced into me with such power, because it reminded me of my Mother's memories ...

This is deeply inspiring!

Love,
Margherita

Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
13 posted 2009-11-18 09:38 AM

Steve, I was just thinking how long it's been since I visited one of your spectacular poems....and here you are.  Thank you!  
Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
14 posted 2009-11-18 10:01 AM

Margerhita, I remember that old pump well, and the frost upon the wooden walkway next to it.  My brother and I were quite small when we would follow my grandmother out there to get water as often as she would allow us.  It was marvelous magic to us, because we only knew the modern plumbing.  My brother was just tall enough to reach the handle if it were about half way up.  She never did get the advantages of running water indoors or the warmth of the bathrooms we took for granted.  She raised 7 children in a house that was 24' X 24', with just four rooms.  It was blue-black cold in the eastern Oregon winters.  My uncle slept out back in the wash house, and the six girls shared the second bedroom, although I don't remember any of them being there all at the same time. I wonder how they managed with just one old double-sized bed in that room which didn't even have a closet.

I never heard Grandma complain; it just wasn't in her nature.  If anyone deserved an easier life, it was she.  She's been gone now many years, but her warmth remains with me yet.

I'm glad my memory recalled a warm memory for you, too.     Karen

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
15 posted 2009-11-18 10:08 AM

Yes, NOT complaining was one of the traits of that generation, dear K! I always think with deep gratitude of my grandmother and my mother who both were of that kind. No easy lives, but they would never ever complain. What a lesson!
Thank you for the further details. I enjoyed them much!
Love,
Margherita

LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
16 posted 2009-11-18 09:10 PM

Stories grew hopes around that table:
adventures, misadventures
and home... my heart,
where they still gather, framed
with love.

Oh Karen that is such a wonderful poignant write my dear, a real delight to read.

I'm so glad you have shared it with us all.
Bringing back all those wonderful memories from the past. Love and a gig hug.

Lindsay

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
17 posted 2009-11-18 09:28 PM

Oh lovely, you brought to mind the sound of thumb and knuckles of my grandfather's hand as he  trurumped  them across the dinning room table as once again  the men of the family sat playing on  another Sunday afternoon

I was sitting there enthralled and waiting for the sound. I never did learn to play the game until I was over forty years old. And yet I looked forward to the Sunday afternoon walk to Grandfather’s house so I could sit quietly and watch the game.  latearrival

AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
18 posted 2009-11-19 08:46 AM

This is a beautiful and poignant work that doesn't just pluck the heartstrings, but tears at them.  Wonderful evocative images, redolent with sounds and scents, and underlined with love.  Thank you so very much for this splendid poem.
Peace
Jim

"We are stardust:  we are golden:  and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."  --Joni Mitchell "Woodstock"

Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
19 posted 2009-11-19 02:15 PM

Jim, I am genuinely touched at your response, and the others, too.  With the holidays coming up quickly, family now makes new memories, but even the menu carries nostalgia from days gone by that brings us all home again in a special way.  

Thank you.

Goldenrose
Member Elite
since 2003-05-30
Posts 3665

20 posted 2009-11-19 06:56 PM

Fantastic, so descriptive i was there and didnt want to come away, the sights and sounds, the scents and touch bringing myriad images and some questions flooding to my mind, the subject matter was and always will be precious as diamonds but the poem is a gem all of its own and i say well done and thank you for sharing it..

Goldenrose.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength,while loving someone deeply gives you courage. Lao Tzu 6th century BC.

naturegirl
since 2009-09-30
Posts 168
England
21 posted 2009-11-19 07:24 PM

thank you for this beautiful poem. as I was reading I kept smiling remembering my grandmother knitting and being made to sit on the kitchen stool to have my hair cut, we have the zigzag fringe -bangs?- in common. I never could sit still. What beautiful memories I had forgotten, thank you for reminding me.....  
Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
22 posted 2009-11-20 03:38 AM

Goldenrose, I love your pen name, because it holds the savor of sun and life unfolding in sweet anticipation.  Thank you for comng to share my circle with the gentles touches of your thoughtful radiance.    
Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
23 posted 2009-11-20 03:53 AM

Zig-zag bangs, yes!  My mother could never get them straight, and they were always too short.  I couldn't hold still and she had no patience with my fidgeting.  As comfortable as she was with a pair of scissors in her hands, deft with thread and needle, and ingenious at teaching, there are few pictures of me when I was young where my hair is not a travesty.  It was silky and white-blonde, tangled as cobwebs, unless she braided it, and that is exactly what she did, but my bangs were always nicked!  

My brother's hair was just as dark as mine was light, and unruly with cowlicks and an "Alfalfa rooster tail," which was an offence to her sense of decorum.  She made him wear a nylon stocking on his head Saturday nights, trying to tame it for church on Sunday.  It never worked, much to her chagrin, and he had a way of looking at you with lazy soft brown eyes, one of which always seems to be looking off to the side.  It still is disconcerting, sort of like looking at a beloved, disheveled old teddy bear.   

[This message has been edited by Klassy Lassy (11-20-2009 05:59 AM).]

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
24 posted 2009-11-20 07:59 AM

Ah, Lassy, you have few equals when you write like this. You can take life and reportray it in such a beautiful manner that everyone can relate to it. You have a gift...don't ever stop.
Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
25 posted 2009-11-20 12:42 PM

I wrote this for a poet whose mother just passed away.  Her grief is so palpable and I wanted her to "feel" the essence of her mom still present, even though, like me, she can no longer put her arms around her.  I think, in writing this piece, I realize more and more the healing that comes of loving and not being afraid to love.  In my younger years, I took it for granted because it was around me and my mom taught me that I could still choose it even when I couldn't see it.  That remains with me despite challenges to the contrary.  I feel the presence of those gone before me acutely at times.  I loved them then, I love them still.  

Now, I am the senior woman in the family.  I see the need and the want of many around me who do not understand that the richness of heart is not depleted in the giving, and I wish for a stronger legacy of love to bequeath them daily. It is my lesson, too.

Thank you, Michael.

Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
26 posted 2009-11-20 01:34 PM

Lindsay, I did not mean to overlook your comment.  I enjoy your poems and wry insight into life very much, so it makes me happy that you liked this and perhaps stirred some memories of your own. ~ Karen
Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
27 posted 2009-11-20 01:51 PM

latearrival, my granddad and my uncle were extremely outnumbered by the women in the family, but Grandpa had his saw filing shop, and women were more or less banned from the premises.  I got the honor of telling him to come into the house for lunch or supper, but I was never allowed to linger, and I always wanted to because I knew the men told adventuresome tall tales, and I was insatiably curious and fascinated.  

Grandma would take time for us children to play cards in the afternoon, Flinch or Muggins.  I didn't know about Poker for years. My kids all like to play cards, but they play on line, and I never did learn the strategy of the gambling.   LOL  I'd love to see you write about those Sunday afternoons.  Will you?

Karen  

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
28 posted 2009-11-20 09:32 PM

Karen, yes your post told me to start in earnest. I have many memories as I am now 77 years old. I kept journals from the time I could write. Needless to say I am over run with them. I am afraid that unless I put it all on to disc they will all be tossed into a large dump truck when I go. Some times I wonder why I do it. But they are so much fun to read. It is like reading a book about your self and it is surprising how much you forgot and then you wonder,"how did I do all of that". latearrival
Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
29 posted 2009-11-21 01:15 AM

That would be a horrific loss for your journals to be tossed.  I kept journals off and on over the years, but I really wish I had written down the word of mouth stories that were told by my mother's family.  They are lost now, and times are so different.  I think someday my grandchildren may wonder about their ancestry and it would have a treasure to pass down.  

My own journals are gone, but I want to write some memoirs, whether or not anyone takes an interest.  So far, none of the poetry I've written has been of interest to my children or my spouse.  Writing it helped me, though.

Your writing will be a lovely memoir for now as well as later.    

Karen

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
30 posted 2009-11-25 06:13 PM

A beautiful flow of thoughts in words...James
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
31 posted 2009-11-25 07:55 PM

Karen...I feel like you write the sunlight slanting through the curtain of my own past.  It is poignant and touchingly tender and real. Thank you for posting it.
Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
32 posted 2009-11-26 10:31 PM

James, Happy Thanksgiving!...so glad you stopped to read and share the warmth.  The circle grows, especially for you at this time.  

Karen

Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
33 posted 2009-11-26 10:44 PM

Martie, I know I should write much more.  I'm glad to shine light in your memories, and hope you find some cherished treasure there.

Can you believe this year is fast closing already?  It goes so quickly, but there is always room for another joy to landmark our days.   Thank you for coming to share some of mine. ~Karen

Karen

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Nearby...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary