navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Third World Stigmata
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic Third World Stigmata Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow

0 posted 2009-11-16 10:28 AM

The depth of sadness
in the girl's eyes
held the attention
of all
on the air-conditioned
tourist bus.
No older
than eight or nine,
she wove her way deftly
through dense Delhi traffic,
propelling her steel-castered,
wooden platform
with sure strokes of her hands.

Last year
her impoverished parents had
sold her,
the youngest,
so that the family
could live.
Her new owner,
realising the value
of his investment,
ensured that the operation,
removing both legs,
was sterile:
she was on the street
within two months.

Pausing at the corner lights,
the bus disgorged
several tourists,
who pressed
rupee notes
upon the small amputee.
They had no way
of knowing
their gift
perpetuated
slavery and mutilation.

From the series "Anger in the Street"

"We are stardust:  we are golden:  and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."  --Joni Mitchell "Woodstock"

© Copyright 2009 James D. Fanning - All Rights Reserved
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
1 posted 2009-11-16 01:24 PM

it really deserves anger in the street, your poem made me sick by its subject and however we can't hide realities like that, I am sad for this little girl, thanks for sharing a vivid emotion of such a sad event.
god bless her.

yann

[This message has been edited by 2islander2 (11-16-2009 04:16 PM).]

shalisadefa
since 2009-08-13
Posts 114

2 posted 2009-11-16 03:44 PM

The horror unfolds before my eyes.

AM I READING WHAT I THINK I AM READING?

Being very frustrated right now about
the evil that is (in)human kind.

Do appreciate your provocative style.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
3 posted 2009-11-16 05:25 PM

Fine writing...James
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

4 posted 2009-11-16 11:35 PM

Ancient Hippie - Of all the dark inhumanities that Man perpetrates on beast and flower, the one he succeeds against himself reigns supreme. And this was one of his darkest. I feel its provocation AH. It runs deep along the lines of the uncivilized. Namyh  
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
5 posted 2009-11-16 11:54 PM

What a world we live in! AH. This story is heartbreaking but needs to be told and you do it so well.
                                Ida

Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
6 posted 2009-11-17 12:48 PM

aaaaggghhh!  This is a knife where my heart should be.  Unforgiveable cruelty these children suffer...and they are turned out when they can no longer beg.  It is beyond my ken.  KL  
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
7 posted 2009-11-17 04:16 AM

~ and dare we complain about the discomforts and inconveniences in our own lives?!?
Fine writing about an abhorable injustice!

A heart-breaking story ~ told well ~ and with compassion.

Blessed be ALL the children of the world,

Linda

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
8 posted 2009-11-18 08:41 AM

I am stuck here, almost unable to breathe ... how comes humanity has grown such monsters? You touch upon the darkest aspects of existence, consequence of the misery that is enhanced through social injustice ... May humanity awaken to Love.

Thank you for this.

Love,
Margherita

AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
9 posted 2009-11-19 08:28 AM

Thank you all for your comments.  This is indeed a tragic work. During my three years in Delhi, during the daily commute to the High Commission, I would pass a corner where beggars, like the subject of this poem, were gathered.  The local population made a point of giving them food and clothing, things that they could use personally, but never, never money. As India becomes a modern country perhaps provision will be made to punish this heinous crime, but that day is still some time off.
Namaste
Jim

"We are stardust:  we are golden:  and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."  --Joni Mitchell "Woodstock"

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
10 posted 2009-11-20 10:23 PM

This was horror, yes. I could not answer you the other day. It brought back all the stories of children being hurt, killed,kidnapped, sold, right here in the United States. The last of a mother giving her five year old to pay a drug bill. Handed her over to be raped and killed and left by the roadside.  
I would love to have your Street series. So hard to take but so neccessary to  be aware. latearrival

Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
11 posted 2009-11-21 03:53 PM

AH - I've read this and all the replies and now choose to put it out of my head. I do this not because I don't feel the horror of it (I most certainly do) but believe that if I give it my thoughts and attention then I'm perhaps energetically enlivening the situation.  Maybe if one loses faith in humanity then humanity will rise to the occasion as it were and prove us right.  It's very hard to think "good thoughts" when faced with so many horrors in life but I'm rather afraid of thinking "bad thoughts" these days.  Thoughts are things.

I do have to compliment you, however, on a very well written piece!  I did read (and print) your guides to enlightenment.  Made me think - thank you!

Helen  

AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
12 posted 2009-11-25 08:53 AM

latearrival:  The Street series is very much a work in progress.  I need to have a medium of release for the anger that builds in me when I see societal problems in our so-called developed world that could so easily be solved.  Our politicians continue to dither and be self-serving, while the populace continues to be fed their cake and entertained by media circuses.  We are complacent, and we permit this to go on, while we trundle off on adventuristic wars that serve no one.  Our civilisation is about control, not compassion.

Helen:  It is so true--thoughts do have power.  It is, however, my feeling that having those thoughts and focussing positive power on them is the necessary first step to change.  So glad you enjoyed Jim's Guide.  My Sutras were meant to codify my spiritual beliefs, and each sutra spoke to me as it was being written.  I have them in two .avi files on my YouTube page, where I placed them as a meditative device.  You may view them at: http://www.youtube.com/user/Neocelt146#p/a/u/2/UzHiYtgmG18 and http://www.youtube.com/user/Neocelt146#p/a/u/1/fK-bJ6acahk
Best regards,
Jim

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Third World Stigmata

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary