navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Forward Passing
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic Forward Passing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2009-11-05 09:25 PM

Forward Passing

We’ve had a lot of passing of lives
lately, most of them family,
some not.

We spend time going to and from
lovely cemeteries, casting shadows on
a last instant with each passing of
family or friend,
honoring his or her story.

Some say we’re coming into
our time, where going to and/or from
the passing is a time when we
begin planning our own funeral
becomes a function of life.

For a blink I wish to be young again
where I don’t have to think
about my children
worrying over such moments.

So, we plan. We organize. Reorganize.
As days seamlessly wind down with
times being what they are,
we find ourselves pausing with
momentary memories
that regenerate better times

possibly finding ourselves
hoping to plant, like manure,
those worst times, that they
might grow a better garden.

Well, at least I know one of us
does that, even if it is a thought
spread about silently, dust to dust.

And every time I think like this,
I find myself wishing I could have
gifted you a better life.

© KRJ
5 Nov 2009

© Copyright 2009 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
1 posted 2009-11-05 11:15 PM

Sunshine,

I am printing this out right now and taking it to my Mom to read.  This is spelendid and I think she will appreciate even more than I do.  I think a mother knows this - more than I will with no children.  But, I still feel it and identify.

And, I think this is a keeper for sure.

Love,
Alison

AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
2 posted 2009-11-06 09:46 AM

Beautiful and thoughtful work here, Sunshine.  Fits my philosophy very well.  We all, with the wisdom of years, hope that the seeds we planted will turn into something wonderful.
Just a little bittersweet, which is as it should be.
Thank you for a thoughtful write.
Namaste
Jim

"We are stardust:  we are golden:  and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."  --Joni Mitchell "Woodstock"

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
3 posted 2009-11-06 08:04 PM

I know of this..too well...yes, it is raining
here as well..souls and an occasional tear.

Wishing you the best...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2009-11-06 08:29 PM

Alison,

Thank you for passing this forward. I recall a time when my mother asked me to help her make decisions - some of the family members didn't realize I wasn't helping her for me, but for them. Walk softly, carry a big .

Jim,

Yes, our ages do start to show our philosophy, even if we aren't always vocal about it. Bittersweet fit the moment, so I'm glad you felt that. Believe me, I thought twice and more about posting this.

Magnus,

do know that my prayers are with you and yours. As you might know, I'm getting familiar with a bout of various and hidden cemetaries among our countryside. Even the cows and bulls greated us just the other day. The chosen one would have grinned, though...he liked the spot.

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 posted 2009-11-06 09:47 PM

Yo dear Sunshine,

This paints a picture of life in the relaxed lane, and that’s a good thing.  

We can’t make plans for passing here.  The price of funerals changes too fast over just a few years.  

Love Bobby

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
6 posted 2009-11-08 06:38 AM

Dear Karilea, you write of this topic with your usual touch of elegance and sensitivity.

It's something we can't ignore no doubt. Cemeteries exercise a strange attraction or a feeling of refusal, according to our mood, I think. Seeing what people do here in Italy, building chapels for their families, I see that as an exaggeration and I would rather keep the ashes of beloved ones at home within a plant of roses or such ... I would keep it simple, but with an ongoing connection with the souls that have left ...
Thank you for this.
I visit my Mother's grave in Switzerland often thanks to Google Earth, imagine! That is a lovely Swiss cemetery where there are very strict rules, the graves must not outdo each other, but must be attended to regularly ... and I approve of this.
Love and hugs.
Margherita

vandana
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Patricius
since 1999-10-22
Posts 10463
USA
7 posted 2009-11-08 12:08 PM

liked  it
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
8 posted 2009-11-08 02:01 PM

Beautiful and wise poem, Karilea.
                            Ida

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
9 posted 2009-11-08 06:44 PM

Decisions made now are a gift for later... one more act of love. *S* Well done! *S*
LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
10 posted 2009-11-08 08:00 PM

Dear Karilea, you certainly have the right attitude. It is something we all have to

face. When Norma and I retired in 1997 we paid for our Funerals so that when the time

comes our family will be completely free of that burden. Another thing that is worth

noting is the rising cost of funerals these days. A very thoughtful post my dear, love,

Lindsay

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
11 posted 2009-11-10 04:25 PM

This one is a total keeper. The way you write with your heart, your wisdom and that poetic pen that has been given to you at birth is charming and elegant. This one is one of your finest, Sunshine!

ARCTIC WIND

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
12 posted 2009-11-10 06:59 PM

Very nice...James
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
13 posted 2009-11-10 09:54 PM

Bobby, your comment is right on target...it's all about growing old gracefully, accepting what is, and what will someday be. Thank you for your comment!

Margherita, a number of decades ago the settlers would put up small fences around the sites of their deceased, in order to keep cattle from pushing over the headstones. Some years ago, our cemetary requested that such "inside fences" within the now fenced in cemetary be taken down. We did, but kept the gate, which now resides in our backyard, keeping the climbing roses at bay.

Vandana, thank you for your eyes.

Ida, bless your heart.

Ruth...exactly what you said, gal. Thank you.

Yes, Lindsay, dying isn't cheap. But I'm leaning toward cremation, and hope to be let free to fly with the wind under the sun, and mingle with the rain when it's time. Maybe my dust will find Australia.

AW, you always bless me with your eyes, and your grace. Thank you so much!

James, thank you.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
14 posted 2009-11-12 06:22 PM

Sissie....You have expressed this feeling of mortality so well...I've known it myself a time or two and lately I've been getting  lovely letters from mortuaries telling me it's time to make my choices.  I say, not yet.  :hug:
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
15 posted 2009-11-12 08:53 PM

So do I, Sissie. It's not yet time for us to make all the plans, but it is convenient for us to tell those who love us what some of our plans might entail. As I've shared with others before, maybe not here, is when I first met my future second MIL, and she introduced me to the spot where I would reside for eternity. I will never forget that moment, nor her smile of welcome into the family. Her way of acceptance was one that endeared me to her forever.

Plans can be made, not only for the passing, but once done, we can then dance the rest of our life without worry!

Logan
since 2001-05-28
Posts 1641
Arkansas
16 posted 2009-11-12 09:29 PM

Forward Passing, gentle smile, said nicely, but the heart remembers always, and I think, also, that being spread on the wind to blow across the grasses is more fitting for a free spirit. Plan for the future but always remember the past
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
17 posted 2009-11-13 12:03 PM

The understanding and acceptance of the impermanence of life seems to take a lifetime to acknowledge.
We are all 'dust' in the wind, destined to become part of the cosmic unity of One.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
18 posted 2009-11-13 07:49 PM

The heart remembers more than most would think, Logan, and I truly believe it is passed on to the spirit. Thank you so much for your visit, hope to see more of you soon.

Kacy, you are so true in your thoughts; and that is why I am declining to be buried but to be lifted up nearly immediately upon my passing after gifts. If a stone needs to be put up that I once lived a good life, than that shall be as it is. But first my body will go to any store that needs parts, study, whatever. After that, cremation. After that, hopefully, my daughter will scatter me among the winds of Kansas, or California [also known for some terrific winds...] but hopefully I shall not provide anything else but a gleam near a star.  

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
19 posted 2009-11-14 12:48 PM

I concur with all the fine comments before mine.

~ A moving piece of contemplative and reflective writing, dear One with Sun.

God bless!

Love & Sun Light,
Linda

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
20 posted 2009-11-15 12:15 PM

Thank you, Linda. Contemplative and reflective was exactly where I was coming from.
inkedgoddess
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-19
Posts 7392
Ohio
21 posted 2009-11-17 01:52 PM

good thoughts though I prefer not to feel so wise if the tradeoff is getting older...i kind of prefer feeling young and dumb, which i am

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Forward Passing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary