navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » A Love Note: To Whom It May Concern. (there's a poem at the end.)
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Love Note: To Whom It May Concern. (there's a poem at the end.) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.

0 posted 2009-10-26 10:49 PM

I woke up and shook my head. Took the pouch of Red Man out of my faded and paint-stained Levi's, and put in a chew. Man, was my mouth dry. I pulled the jeans on, and looked at them for a second, feeling the cold harden the skin on my naked upper body. The paint was black and it was all over them, gravity-shaped drops had fallen off a jeep frame that I had brush-painted while I was on a garage creeper underneath. It wasn't pretty the way a spray gun can make things, but it protected the metal I had replaced more effectively, and prevented new rust from chewing holes in something I had worked so hard to rebuild.

I turned and looked at the brunette laying in a bed, the owner of which I did not know. She can't have been all that intelligent (She had spent the night in my arms, after all), and that made me feel a little less guilty about leaving while she was still passed out. Too many screwdrivers, I guess. I didn't know the feeling, I don't drink that pisswater. Not that my beverage of choice is all that eloquent. PBR has been advertising that they've been voted America's Best Beer since as long as I've been drinking it, but that happened in 1893. We all hold on to things, but I doubt I'd ride the same horse for almost 120 years.

The girl was sweet. She was especially beautiful without any makeup, and her collarbone protruded with an athletic leanness. I could see one of her earrings on the bedsheets, I'd probably accidentally pulled the back of it off with my teeth. She rolled over, and I saw that her shoulder blades were just as lean and athletic. They were covered in that woman-muscle that only women have. Maybe if she'd been wearing a beer hat and a flannel, or had cowgirl boots on, I'd have stayed and tried to fall in love with her. I just didn't know enough about her to decide if it was safe for me to stay here, whether or not she'd take my taped-together insides and throw them in a blender.

Unwilling to take the risk, but not wanting to leave her with nothing, I found a napkin and grabbed a pen, leaving her MY flannel shirt, and this note:

A Love Note, To whom it may concern:

I've got a best friend, and he's a dog-
we both love my four wheel drive.
I've got legs that most say are strong
and the same goes for my back
I've been walking this earth for nearly twenty years
they tell me I leave a big man's deep tracks.
I've seen the fire in your eyes at midnight
but I'm afraid to look for more.
So if there's spurs on your boots
and venom in your bite;
you can chase after me,
just follow the light.

Forever yours,

Paul

I put on my boots, laced them up, and walked shirtless to my truck. It was snowing. I hopped in, and turned the key. She started right up, just like she always does. I sighed, spit brown into a Gatorade bottle, and drove home to my dog.

I love my dog, and my truck. It's that simple, really.

[This message has been edited by viking_metal (10-27-2009 11:17 PM).]

© Copyright 2009 Paul Weisbrod - All Rights Reserved
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
1 posted 2009-10-27 10:51 AM

I had a one night stand (once) and it was great.  We laughed and I learned how to play backgammon.  He wasn't that great in bed ( ) but it didn't matter.  I hope she treasures the note - and I hope you find a horse (cracks up) that is worth riding after 20 years.  I say keep the horse and change out the saddles!

Love this, Paul.

A

ken206573
since 2008-10-14
Posts 487

2 posted 2009-10-27 12:36 PM

Wow this poem is outstanding, and the story that goes with it. I hope she does consist, if not there are other cowgirls on the next horizon.
AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
3 posted 2009-10-27 12:46 PM

Hey viking metal:  Good story, but aren't one night stands rather sad?  I mean, making love without making love.  It all changes (or should) later on in your journey, but the stark realism of this piece will take you back to the night...and wonder.
Great read.
Jim

Sutra 30: Language reflects the Truth of one’s Reality: listen carefully when others speak.
Jim's Guide to Enlightenment

viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.
4 posted 2009-10-27 05:27 PM

Alaboo, you crack me up. Thanks for reading, I will keep changing saddles until one fits right.

viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.
5 posted 2009-10-27 05:30 PM

Ken... Thanks. There's always more cowgirls on the horizon, and it's funny: I'm looking so desperately for a good one, but ultimately, the good one is going to be the one that can rope me in.

Hippie, believe me, I definitively agree. They leave everybody with wanting. But they're certainly not all bad. Thanks for reading!

micecollector
since 2009-10-10
Posts 18
Kansas -USA
6 posted 2009-10-28 03:07 PM

Wow!  what a story you weave so well in so few words.  It speaks a million words to those of us who have ever experienced the magic of a great one-night stand.  

In God we trust and one nation under God

MorningStar
since 2009-10-26
Posts 290
Pittsburgh, Pa
7 posted 2009-10-28 04:12 PM

Dang it!!! My boots don't have spurs - although they do have a stiletto heel...

This was great.  I was completely caught up in it.  

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
8 posted 2009-10-28 05:37 PM

You display great realism here, a scenery that would fit very well into a movie about ... "bad habits"
The poem you left her is a touching gift and she will cherish it and show it to her friends. A Poet is a Poet is a Poet!

Love,
Margopargo

viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.
9 posted 2009-10-28 07:21 PM

Micey mice, unrelated to juicy juice... Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Writing paragraphs is new to me. Haha.

Morningstar... We can work with that. I am pleased that you are pleased.

viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.
10 posted 2009-10-28 07:22 PM

Margopargo... Maybe someday they'll write a book about me. The book will turn into a movie will turn into a hologram.

tommy738
since 2009-10-28
Posts 33

11 posted 2009-10-28 08:52 PM

Very nice well said in so few words but yet very strong in its meaning
viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.
12 posted 2009-10-28 09:00 PM

Thanks man.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » A Love Note: To Whom It May Concern. (there's a poem at the end.)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary