navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Rishikesh
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic Rishikesh Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow

0 posted 2009-10-18 08:51 PM

After the holy city of Haridwar
the dusty plains are left behind.
In the distance the foothills climb
to the top of the world,
and here, like an Intercessor
between the gods and man,
nestles Rishikesh.
Embracing Mother Ganga
this religious fantasy come true
hosts graceful temples,
garish artifacts,
peaceful ashrams.

The gentle sweetness of charas
fills the air, and the eyes of sadhus,
and other holy men,
testify to the Truth
of their communion.
Avatars walk the narrow streets,
surrounded by the swirling notes
of chants and mantras,
pleased with this bustling invocation
of the ancient Way.

The ghats are busy,
confirming the endless dance of Natraj,
with the fire and smoke
symbolising destruction and rebirth,
while the Ganges welcomes
the ashen remnants
of this cycle of the Wheel.
Floating candles in small clay boats
illuminate the river's gentle flow,
bearing sparks of Brahman home.

Sutra 3: See your reality for what it is, not for what you think it is: this is the first step to making your reality what you wish it to be.
--Jim's

© Copyright 2009 James D. Fanning - All Rights Reserved
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
1 posted 2009-10-20 05:03 PM

I am fascinated seeing the world pass through your eyes. Thanks for letting me hitch a ride.~L
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2009-10-20 10:10 PM

The Ganges was an extraordinary experience for me as well.  I also found our invitation to the dunes at Khumb Mela extremely intimidating with all the tents, and hash smoking, etc.  It was not until I had the smoking explained to me, and many words of wisdom of one Guru translated for me, that I appreciated the conviction of these Sadhus, and the interns.  It was most humbling to see what self-sacrifice can attain you. It can be a life-changing experience if you let it.

Loved your depiction of this highly organized Hindu ritual, and thank you for the memories.  It's a shame this happens only 4 times every 12 years.  Haridwar is host is 2010 Namaste

AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
3 posted 2009-10-21 08:15 AM

Lori:  Thank you.  It is my pleasure to have you along for the ride.  Best regards, Jim
Mysteria;  How wonderful to meet someone who knows about the Khumb Mela.  I had the pleasure of three years in New Delhi, and used to visit a small temple in the shadow of the Red Fort, and visit with the resident monk and his friends.  He invited me to visit the Khumb Mela at Haridwar, but family/work commitments did not permit it.  For me, being in India (and prior to that, Sri Lanka)were the most profound experiences of my life.
Namaste.

Sutra 5: Public self-criticism does not brighten one’s Spark of Brahman: it merely feeds one’s narcissism.
Jim's Guide to Enlightenment:  The Comple

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2009-10-21 01:39 PM

Actually I also lived with East Indians, Sikhs, Hindu, and Muslim, for a quite long time, and got so familiar with their culture, food, belief system, and it left me with knowing our true purpose on this plain, and that is:
  • give more than you receive
  • accept all people for who they are
  • share all you have for only then shall it grows in abundance
  • respect the environment around you
  • find the good in every person
  • family first
  • learn all you can during your lifetime
  • work hard
  • think before speaking
  • do not judge
  • know yourself first
  • listen to your gut

Not exactly worded that way, but you get the idea right?  Their version of our, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

It is just all just stuff, and none of it matters in the end.  As one guru said, "We were made from mud, and we will become mud once again!"  Incidentally, I do practice what I preach, as I learned a lot of this beforehand from a very smart Irish woman.        

I remember the Red Fort myself.  The peace you feel inside the Lal Quila is indicative of the religion in general.  Quiet, calm, serene, and acceptance.  

Sláinte mhaith!
Mysteria

AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
5 posted 2009-10-22 08:36 AM

Mysteria:  Seems we walk the same Path.  I agree with all you have said in your comments, including the influence of an Irish heritage.  For me, after my stay in India, my Dharma became clear and obvious.  Life and Reality changing experience that put everything into the proper context with regards to the Cosmic Whole.  I could go on for hours, but I detest prosyletising.
Sláinte mhaith,
Seamus O'fionnain

Sutra 6: If your Path seems to be sprinkled with shards of glass, you should examine each shard to ensure it is not a diamond.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Rishikesh

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary