navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » coastal slugs and such
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic coastal slugs and such Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2009-10-18 07:30 PM

My morning stroll alongside the bay
began not so differently  
than the one of yesterday.

But lo and behold....a rather long slug was dragging himself
along the narrow asphalt walkway,
acting as if he owned this view of Tillamook Bay.

So I stepped aside, gesturing to him
the 'edges' of the pathway,
suggesting he might be more comfortable there.

He just slithered his merry way in a straight line,
oblivious to the blathering two legged intruder
who was shadowing his movements.

A nearby scavenging seagull paid him no mind,
which I thought strange as the sliding slug looked
like a tasty breakfast (but not for me!)

Further down the path, across the RR tracks,
a lone blackberry bush beckoned me
to taste her free juicy delights.

I couldn't say no, now could I?
So my fingers were a bit stained
by the time I got home for my morning coffee.

~another morning along the Oregon coast~

© Copyright 2009 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
1 posted 2009-10-18 08:10 PM

Thank you for taking us along with you, Midnitesun.  I have walks like that along my Atlantic harbour.  I could smell the air, and see the sun reflect on the slug's silver trail.

Sutra 2: Reflection is not solely that which we see in the mirror of Now, but is also the contemplation of why that image is.
--Jim's Guide to Enligh

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2009-10-19 01:17 AM

Oh, the dear little slug!  I can see the scene so clearly.  Thank you for offering him your advice, despite his need not to turn to the edge of the walkway (scary that it was so narrow, but fortunate that it was you, firstly a slug-lover and secondly one who looks where you walk, to admire such little creatures and so as not to walk on them by mistake).  Perhaps he explained the reason, but presumably slugs' voices are very soft, not usually needing to be audible to humans, and perhaps he spoke in Slug, and I am not sure how versant you are in Slug, despite your integration into all critter communities.  Perhaps he was in a hurry and could move faster on the asphalt walkway, but, as you said, if he had stuck to the very edge of it (as opposed to next to the edge), he would have been safer.  Perhaps he knew that only you would be passing that way, and perhaps the news of your love and care of critters had already spread fast among their communities. After all, the blackberry bush knew you.  I am sure she didn't speak to people she didn't know.  

I am glad I am not the only one to talk to dear little, middle-sized and big critters!  

Mmm! I can taste the blackberries!  Delicious.  Your happiness at being on the Oregon coast is very contagious.  

Just in case, you don't know (giggles), I love the poem!  Can't wait for the next Oregon musing.

Owl

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
3 posted 2009-10-19 04:54 AM

Kacy thank you  for the walk and the talk ,I was there beside you.

OwlSA, I said almost the exact same words to Kacy when I read this. I am glad I am not the only one to talk to God's little creatures, is what I wa going to write.  So I guess  the three of us  can not be the only ones to do so. Just yesterday I went to the garage, which does not have a door, to put in  a load of wash. A tiny frog was sitting on top of the dryer and as I went to put the clothes into that machine I suggsted to the frog,  "you might want to move as the top will soon be sending up  heat from inside this machine".I was beginning to think it preferred to stay and told him it was fine with me,if that was his want.  But all of a sudden he jumped and was gone. But it made my morning brighter. latearrival

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2009-10-19 09:01 AM

Owlie, no, I am not conversant in 'Sluggese'
but will bend closer next time, in case he was whispering!

Jo, LOL, maybe he was waiting for a bowl of water with a sunbathing rock in it, to bathe in?

I is important to notice and observe the tiniest forms of life, even the ones that might at first seem disgustingly slimy.
You two ladies are nature-lovers, and that's great!

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
5 posted 2009-10-19 02:13 PM

hello Midnitsun, I enjoyed the walk with you and the extraordinary side of the poem, simple things (fruits you can't resist) are a gift, It is one of my favourite of you.

regards

yann

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
6 posted 2009-10-21 11:09 AM

"a rather long slug was dragging himself"

I admit, at first I thought you were talking about a man...

I know..

anyway...thank you for taking me with you..

Hope all is well Kacy.

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2009-10-21 11:41 AM

Thank you Yann! I'm pleased you enjoyed this coastal stroll.

Susan, a man? LOL, how funny!
It hadn't entered my mind it might be interpreted as such.

Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
8 posted 2009-10-22 12:25 PM

Aw, Kacy, I feel your heart expanding in the fresh air and your poetic pen is so busy.  I never saw a slug before I moved to the Oregon coast, unless you count couch potatoes. Come to think of it I never saw a blackberry bush until then either.  They do make for the prettiest purple fingers ya ever saw! Thank you for letting me go on your morning walk, too.  *grin*

Karen

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
9 posted 2009-10-22 02:37 AM

You make me smile.
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
10 posted 2009-10-22 02:45 PM

Last time I visited Oregon my grandaughter and I picked blackberries and marion berries along the side of the road. They just grow everywhere and your poem reminded me of how good they are. ummm.
                                 Ida

Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

11 posted 2009-10-22 11:35 PM

I enjoyed the journey you took me on Kacy. I always find escape, if but for a few moments within your words.

Hugs sweetie.  ~D

Oklahoma Rose
since 2008-02-28
Posts 1586
Oklahoma USA
12 posted 2009-10-23 01:41 PM

Thank you, Kacy for taking me on your morning walk. I hope you are all settled now, and doing well. I think about you often.
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
13 posted 2009-10-23 06:08 PM

I am so happy that you share your morning walks with us, dear Kacy. Your eyes behold beauty wherever they look. I can tell you enjoy your new surroundings to the fullest. You breath vastness and freedom.

Love,
Margherita

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
14 posted 2009-10-23 08:54 PM

Thanks for joining me on snail-alley!

The smell of the ocean is invigorating,
and the saga of a myriad of life-journeys  surround my senses and thoughts daily.

Wherever you are, stop and take time each day to enjoy all the small gifts life offers.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
15 posted 2009-10-26 08:19 AM

Kacy, I think that, even if you aren't fluent in Sluggese, that you understand the basics, perhaps without knowing it.  Yes, I think it is a good idea to lean closer next time, in case he is whispering.  Smiles.

LateArrival, I am certain that the dear little frog understood you perfectly, even if his Humanese isn't fluent. Animals understand us so much better than we understand them, generally - I think they pick up our love waves towards them and translate them into what we are saying, but in Froggese.  Smiles.

Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » coastal slugs and such

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary