navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Pink Ribbons - rp
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic Pink Ribbons - rp Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana

0 posted 2009-10-04 12:58 PM

I'm not the same woman I was last year.
Pieces of the me I was are no longer here
But that's OK, for this way
I discovered depths of courage I never knew I had.
The dreaded diagnosis changed my life completely,
But I've learned to appreciate just how very sweetly
Breath is drawn at each new dawn.
I've learned to cherish the joy, banish the sad,
And experience the wonder of simply being alive.
Don't talk to me of odds, for I know I'll survive!
I'll wear my smile and share my style.
I've not been diminished as a woman at all!
I'm victor, not victim, no matter what you think,
For I've stood up and stared down Death
And made him blink
And learned my way a bit each day.
I'm a woman with pink ribbons, standing tall.

I wrote this in 1994 for a dear friend, Kelly Jo Myers-Madoian. It has been posted here on PIP several times, twice by me and twice by another dear friend some of you know as Rainbow Girl. I hope you'll forgive still another posting of it... October is breast cancer awareness month. And every day, somewhere someone is receiving that dreaded diagnosis. As I was reading this poem's previous postings, I was struck by how many of our own have been silenced by some form of cancer... and so this is dedicated to missing friends as well as those fighting the fight... in sincere hope that someday, all forms of cancer will be nothing but a bad memory.

© Copyright 2009 suthern - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2009-10-04 01:26 PM

I, too, imagine a day, when medical students are shown the horrors of chemotherapy, whilst they shake their heads in horror of such a "cure"...

And you can repost this one as much as you like, as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe I know of a single family who hasn't been scarred by cancer in one of its numerous forms.

Love you Ruthie.

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
2 posted 2009-10-04 02:19 PM

To me, you can totally repost this. An amazing message has found its way here to Pip everyone! Yes, the diease is a scary one and people do pass away from the diagnoses. It pains me to think that people can suffer greatly like that. I believe that one day this awful curse will be just of a bad memory too, Ruth.

to you
ARCTIC WIND

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
3 posted 2009-10-04 04:14 PM

Oh Ruth, my mind was racing and thinking,"and she never said a word about  her problem" but then I came to the ending. Thank you for reposting this.It needs saying. latearrival
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
4 posted 2009-10-04 06:06 PM

Suthern One, you need not apologize for reposting this fine, compassionate poem. In fact, I suggest you post it EVERY October for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Every year we have new pipsters who would not have read it before and I believe this is an important read for every woman to read. We all have been touched my this dreaded disease in one way or another. I lost my grandmother to breast cancer.

You are a beautiful person and poetess.

May you never hear the words that your friend heard.

Linda

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
5 posted 2009-10-04 11:43 PM

(wipes tear) Oh Suthern, this deeply tugged at my heart in that it speaks to the emotional core of many on two levels..........one in how too many wonderful friends have been victimized by this atrocious disease and leaves way too much heartache and suffering in our world.........but also of the incredible courage so many sufferers and survivors alike share together, determined to stare this disease in the face regardless of how bad it is and live their lives to the fullest!

(huggies) Two weeks ago I was blessed to have volunteered at the 2009 Susan C. Komen Race For The Cure in Portland as a Course Marshal and Cheerleader, where I guarded a busy street intersection to make sure all the participants/pedestrians were safe, and at the same time cheer on all the survivors and their families. It was an especially emotional time for me because one of my few best friends at KBOO Community Radio where I've volunteered for almost five years now who I trained into creating his own news segment, Edison Carder, is fighting for his life against an ugly form of cancer presently. I would see him every Wednesday when I produced the news for soooooooooooo long, and now not seeing him there while he's in a convalescent state can't help but make everyone want to tear up. So while I certainly volunteered in honor of everyone affected by this dreadful disease, I especially did so for Edison that day, even if his case wasn't breast cancer!

(huggies) This is a most powerful, enabling read, my friend, thanks soooooooooo much for sharing!

XOXO,
Lisping Hibiscus

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
6 posted 2009-10-05 12:46 PM

suthern - don't really know what to say, as this one hit me over the head like a ton of bricks with inner feelings. Great post, and great write...

BC

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
7 posted 2009-10-05 01:07 AM

So well said - such an important poem on so many levels.  Thank you for reposting and I hope that you continue to do so every year.  

Love,
Alison

playing.with.crayons
since 2006-01-02
Posts 362
Neverland
8 posted 2009-10-05 09:56 AM

This is a resounding write that touches so many people. I'm glad you reposted.

~Cheye x

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
9 posted 2009-10-05 10:34 AM

Thank you, dear Ruth, for this deeply significant, compassionate and also powerful write.

And of course I join in your wish that someday soon the ghost of cancer will be vanquished.

Love,
Margherita

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
10 posted 2009-10-05 05:19 PM

You folks are the best... I hope you know that! *S* I'm sitting here, shaking my head... This one's always been special to me... even more so after a personal scare this past year. I can't express how much your responses mean to me. Thank you, thank you, thank you! *S*
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Pink Ribbons - rp

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary