navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Breaking Barriers
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic Breaking Barriers Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon

0 posted 2009-09-01 02:28 AM

(This is a brand-new anthem I was inspired to write after having what has truly been a life-changing, definitive summer where I shattered many social barriers and was willing to try virtually anything, and how each experience............whether it was something as ambitious as running AV-Tech for a National Energy & Utility Affordability Conference to something as envelope-pushing as offering myself as a substitute male body sushi platter............proved rewarding to me.

So dare to do the unexpected, y'all! You will often be surprised with what you can appreciate out of each left-field play! )

Breaking Barriers
By: Noah Eaton
8/31/09

(Oooh yeah!)
I'm a risk taker,
sharpening the edge of my appetite,
I'm runnin' against the grain,
unrestrained,
in interstellar overdrive.

I'm wearing a smile,
that nothing and no one can nullify,
because I know when I win,
I'll be happy,
and when I lose,
I'll be wise...

Life, lay it on me,
I'm breaking barriers,
give it to me,
I'm breaking barriers,
mmm hmm!
I'm a pleasure seeker,
daring to be naive,
I for one love getting into hot water,
cuz it will only keep you clean.

Prudence may provide security,
but it doesn't inspire,
I've got 206 bones,
I'm not afraid to use them,
so I might as well perspire,
while time transpires...

I've heard them say,
you'll only fall flat on your face,
if you lean over too far back,
well,
everyone's due for a slip sometime,
then I just get back up on my feet,
show the world my battle scar,
and laugh "Take a look at that!"

Life, lay it on me,
I'm breaking barriers,
give it to me,
I'm breaking barriers,
mmm hmm!

(Break the ice!)
(Life's too colorful,
for modus operandi,
every day you don't dance,
is a day you might as well have spent,
under house arrest,
with Eugene Landy)
I'm a risk taker,
thrusting straight edge splits,
around life's dance pole,
abandoning myself to destiny,
faster than you say:
"Crowd control!"

As far as I'm concerned,
there's a thin line,
between looking like a genius,
and an idiot,
so watch me leap off this pole,
and shatter the glass,
with a Superman pose,
and nonpareil wit, darling...

Life, lay it on me,
I'm breaking barriers,
give it to me,
I'm breaking barriers,
mmm hmm!

(Go out on the limb,
and taste life's fruit,
yeah!)

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

© Copyright 2009 Nadia Lockheart - All Rights Reserved
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
1 posted 2009-09-01 08:40 AM

Maybe we should take a leaf from the tree you are climbing. Have fun, keep your eyes and ears open and tune in to what is best for you.  jo
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
2 posted 2009-09-01 04:40 PM

God bless you, my dear sweet friend! Yes, you certainly have been breaking the barriers ~ the sound barriers as well!

"I'm wearing a smile,
that nothing and no one can nullify,
because I know when I win,
I'll be happy,
and when I lose,
I'll be wise..."

Some more great lines ~

"I for one love getting into hot water,
cuz it will only keep you clean."

"Prudence may provide security,
but it doesn't inspire",

"everyone's due for a slip sometime,
then I just get back up on my feet,
show the world my battle scar,
and laugh "Take a look at that!"

"every day you don't dance,
is a day you might as well have spent,
under house arrest,"

"(Go out on the limb,
and taste life's fruit,
yeah!)"

I like your new attitude, Dude!

Love you, Happy Dancing Angel Boy/Man!

Linda

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2009-09-01 06:25 PM

Yay, thanks Jo! (huggies)

I believe that's a maxim that rings true for everyone, but is often taken for granted. I simply believe in following your bliss, and while my earlier poems frequently echoed that as a theme, the life beaming in my poems and the life I was living were kind of at odds. I can now say I'm living much more closely with what I write than ever before!

Have a wonderful new month, my friend!

XOXO,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
4 posted 2009-09-01 06:51 PM

Yay, thanks soooooooooo much, Linda! (huggies)

You just nailed it right on the head regarding what I'm aspiring my new poems to gleam with, my friend! Where the breadth of my earlier offerings here were focused either on emotions or ideas, I'm intending my new works to be driven primarily on attitude. It's not to say attitude was always lacking in my poems, or that emotion and intellect will disappear entirely from my new verses........it's just "attitude" both seemed to play a more passive role in almost all of my earlier work and, if someone were to pick five adjectives or words to describe me, let's face it: "attitude" wouldn't be among them!    

Really, I'm always honest about reflecting where I am at in my writing, and I'm at a time in my life where I've never felt nearly this confident and sure about myself, nor have had an appetite in exploding out of my shell socially, before. I'd say a lot of my earlier works were centered around trying to step into the shoes of others and ask "What do they want? What do they need?".........but I didn't take enough time to reflect on "What do I want? What do I need?". I guess for a long time I was afraid of merely asking that question because I might look selfish to others, but in time I came to realize that we ALL have needs, and we have to keep ourselves nourished and satisfied to be able to give to others at full capacity.............and I gave too much of myself that I neglected my own needs and allowed my body to wear thin, I left my deeper emotions bottled up in my ribcage, I left myself aloof from the world............and my heart hemorrhaged all that time. So, now, I'm doing just that: reaching into myself, and so my new works are undoubtedly dominated by attitude.......they have a very primitive, sexy, flirtatious, more extroverted vibe.......and it will probably shock some here who were used to reading romantic haiku from me in the former part of this decade!  

Thanks sooooooooooo much Linda, hope you have a wonderful new month ahead!

XOXO,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
5 posted 2009-09-01 07:08 PM

Noah, it's great when a person gets to know and understand themself ~ and like what they see! You've been knocking boundaries down left, right and centre and the real you is emerging ~ and I like what I see! Mind you, I've always liked you, but you are growing exponentially! A meteoric rise!

You make me smile so much that my cherubic cheeks hurt! ~ and that's a gooood thang!

Your new attitude is contagious! Now let's see what this earthy angel can do to liven things up a bit in my life! Perhaps I should let a little bit more of the Irish out in me!

Loveya!

The Earthy One

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
6 posted 2009-09-01 07:30 PM

I don't know if it's the "real me" so much as that there was just so much I compulsively kept concealed in the catacombs of my heart..........that I've only really begun to divulge now to others. I believe I was true to myself before, but parts of my true nature were secluded. It's almost like you can tell the truth and nothing but the truth, but you also don't necessarily tell the whole truth. I've always been honest about myself, and what I wrote about before was truly me, but I also wasn't entirely open about myself, and left an incomplete, inessential portrait of myself out in the open. Now you and all my friends are getting the whole picture!

Actually, I think it's more my inner-Italian that's coming out than my inner-Irish! Relentless talking with hands, stressing attitude behind the vowels in ever word, outgoing buoyancy behind every step.........you do the math!

XOXO,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
7 posted 2009-09-16 10:05 AM

I'm a risk taker,
thrusting straight edge splits,
around life's dance pole,
abandoning myself to destiny,

You are a delight, dear friend. *S* This gave me smiles! *S*

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
8 posted 2009-09-16 03:23 PM

Awwwwwwwwww, thanks Suthern! (huggies)

I for one believe, when one keeps an open mind and looks beyond the sleazy stereotypes often associated with pole dancing, it is truly a very healthy, upper extremity and abdomen-strengthening, self-esteem building wonder. I recently tried it for the first time, and it felt ecstatic..........and it inspired me to devote a large chunk of the third verse to that analogy!

Soooooooooo great to hear from you, my friend! All my next poems will be pretty intense (my next one will really raise eyebrows I think, LOL) but tasteful so watch out!  

Hope you're enjoying your week, my friend!

XOXO,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
9 posted 2009-09-18 01:23 AM

Noah,

All I can say is I am so happy that you are the way you are!  The idea of you as a sushi platter made my night and then the poem .. it inspired me.  You share so much hope in your poetry/songs - they truly uplift me.  Finally, Noah, your picture - I love your picture!  Packaging of this presentation is perfection and the message you share is - a message we all can use.

Thank you, friend.
Alison

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
10 posted 2009-09-19 08:50 PM

Dear Noah, I think all the sides that you show are the "real you". You are multi-faceted and a wonderful work in progress! I love watching you explore and grow!

Linda

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
11 posted 2009-09-19 11:17 PM

(huggies)
LOL I love that photo! It goes well with the poem. You always have great messages in them. Just wonderful

ARCTIC WIND

brneyedgrly
since 2009-06-08
Posts 1125
nowhere and everywhere
12 posted 2009-09-20 02:42 PM

love your spirit!

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
13 posted 2009-09-20 03:43 PM

Dear Noah, it's such a pleasure to read you. Your enthusiasm for life is contagious!
This should be a song, it would touch many hearts.

Bravo!

Love and hugs.
Margherita

larzana
since 2009-09-17
Posts 55

14 posted 2009-09-20 04:49 PM

I love your outlook on life. I wish I could be that free!
Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
15 posted 2009-09-22 08:16 PM

Awwwwwwww, thanks soooooooooo much, dearest Alison! (huggies)

The thing that most joys me about my transformation this year is that I didn't have to conform to all these societal expectations or buckle under pressure in the process. I made changes staying true to myself and so I'm in immense control of my life all the same while making these deep strides. I have retained my individuality, and that has truly made all the difference in helping me come in tune with the deeper aspects of my personality and life! (does happy dance)

Even though I fell short in being able to serve as the substitute male sushi platter, the fact I was even asked to do this is an immense honor to me, and I absolutely was ready to do it in a heartbeat. I get off on immersing myself in unique, unlikely opportunities and situations, and that is how I intend to keep living whenever such opportunity presents itself from here on out. I'm already looking ahead to the holiday season for the most extravagant events and benefits!

Someone once said: "Hope is putting faith to work when doubting would be easier". I spent too much time doing the latter before, and as easy as it was to be prudent and to have security...........I never felt content nor inspired under either glass ceiling. Finally, I realized it was my prudence that was the source of my lonesome and self-possessive ways, and that I would take the long way. And taking the long way has been a godsend to me, and is the way I was born to live!

I don't try to preach or tell others how they should live, but I do love to write poems and lyrics that reach for the rafters, so to speak, and have a universal yet personally rich vibration to them. I think that's why I felt it appropriate to include a picture of me dressed as a potted tulip plant at BloomFest last April here. Because this is just one of multitudes of ways anyone here can go left-field in life and do something unexpectedly satisfying! Sure, wearing all that chain-link fence on my shoulders made my upper back sore.............but all the fun I had delighting the crowd wearing the costume more than made up for it!

Bless you, dearest Alison! I'm soooooooooo glad you were moved by this! (huggies)

XOXO,
Lisping Hibiscus

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
16 posted 2009-09-22 08:21 PM

Yay, thanks again, dearest Linda!

I think, in a way, our inherent experiences are as variegated as the facets on a diamond. What's more, we're more than what's merely reflected on each side of the gemstone........we're also the prisms that backscatter and ricochet off them. And it is in that latter respect, surely, that I believe we are defined heavily by what we give. Volunteering is giving. Love is giving. Chatting here is giving. It might be said that, even while I'm surely honest about myself, you and many others here probably see sides of me others beyond the forum don't see!

(huggies) Thanks sooooooooooo much as always, my seraph friend!

XOXO,
Lisping Hibiscus

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
17 posted 2009-09-22 08:25 PM

Yay, thanks Arctic Wind!

(giggles) You sure like that photo, don't you? ROFL! Hopefully next time the interior mesh will be a material softer than chain link fence! Ohhhhhhh, all the things I do for love and volunteering!

Hope you're having a most radiant week so far, my friend!

XOXO,
Lisping Hibiscus

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
18 posted 2009-09-22 08:29 PM

Awwwwwwwwww, thanks Brown Eyed Girl! (that's one of my all-time favorite songs, by the way! I just love how it most honestly reflects that quintessential young love experience and the sentimental streak it can fondly leave in nay heart! )

Glad to hear it lifted your spirits! I've always felt that, if I can't say something with feeling, it shouldn't even be said to begin with! Whenever I post a poem here, I mean all that I say and want to sing my heart out to the sky!

Have a fabulous rest of the week!

XOXO,
Lisping Hibiscus

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
19 posted 2009-09-22 08:40 PM

(does happy dance) Oh Margherita, thanks soooooooooo much as always for your most supportive, friendly words! They always bring a smile to my face!

I'm soooooooooooo glad you mentioned the song idea, because I in fact compose a lot of the poetic lyrics I write as songs in my head! With this one it's a sexy, confident, fiery rocker where I had a power-pop sensibility in my head (more specifically a bubble-gum happy melody that's nonetheless also coupled by loud electric guitars and keyboards) and by the time the second chorus wraps up, the song suddenly shapeshifts into something slinkier with barroom piano and pedal steel guitar, then shifts again with a medley of surf guitar and tabla, then finally returns to the beginning arrangement but ends with a whole other curveball! I felt it represents how I not just walk the walk and talk the talk in terms of taking risks, but chanting the chant too!

Then, vocally, I oscillate between speaking in an evocative low register then suddenly screaming my heart out joyously and confidently on lyrics I find need such emphasis!

Thanks soooooooooooo much, my friend! Who knows, someone might ask to cover this number and you'll start hearing it suddenly on your radio dial over and over until your ears bleed and you can't take it anymore and sever every connection you have with me in result!

(huggies) Have a wonderful rest of the week, my friend!

XOXO,
Lisping Hibiscus

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
20 posted 2009-09-22 08:46 PM

Yay, thanks sooooooooooo much, larzana!

(huggies) Awwwwwwwwwww, anyone can be free like that, my friend! It's really all about willpower and telling yourself you want to be what you aspire to be!

In fact, last month, I read an article about how new scientific research has found that the way we think, or our thought patterns, affect our DNA..........and how simple changes of thought can either positively or negatively affect your DNA. I absolutely believe this. I, myself, as recently as last year, was in a terrible rut and constantly pined over how I can be more open, be more free.............and then finally I realized my fear, my prudence, was my own worst enemy and the only thing holding me back, and then I realized: "If you want to be free, then just be!"

So that's my advice to you. Follow your bliss. Be yourself, listen to what truly makes you happy, and pursue it, even if you have to go against the grain to get there! It will truly make all the difference, I believe, from the bottom of my heart, and when that happens I can't wait to read the wonderful poems you'll have to share, yay!

Have a wonderful week ahead, my friend!

XOXO,
Lisping Hibiscus

Mother Teresa

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Breaking Barriers

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary