navwin » Main Forums » Dark Poetry #5 » dispossessed
Dark Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic dispossessed Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

0 posted 2010-09-01 05:19 AM

neighbors came to paint
over blood stains on the walls
children’s fingerprints

© Copyright 2010 JenniferMaxwell - All Rights Reserved
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

1 posted 2010-09-01 10:19 PM

Do you know the book length poem by Gallway Kinnell, [i]The Book of Nightmares?[i]  You can download it whole from the internet, though I don't remember where, and it's well worth the time and effort reading.  

It's separated in  poem/chapters that are very intense all by themselves and can be read as stand alone pieces.  There's one section which is mostly, as I recall, in itallics, with the refrain line, [i]Lieutenant, the bodies won't stop burning![i] that this short piece of yours reminded me of.  I really reccomend that you take some time and look at this book of Kinnell's.  I reccomend it to anybody, actually, but most folks here would be bothered by its politics and would loose the incredible poetic impact of the book.

I still think it's almost impossible to write a good political poem, though stirring patriotic songs are certainly possible and enjoyable.  Yeats being the exception that makes the rest of us think it may really be possible for us to try.

Best, BK

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

2 posted 2010-09-01 10:42 PM

Skimmed through Nightmares a while back, will give it more attention this time. Thanks for reminding me about it, Bob.

This one wasn't political, this one was personal.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Dark Poetry #5 » dispossessed

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary