navwin » Main Forums » Dark Poetry #5 » Ode to a friend
Dark Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ode to a friend Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
easy1
since 2010-05-22
Posts 1209
Southeastern USA

0 posted 2010-05-28 09:42 PM

She grew up counting
pennies in a two-room flat.
How the rich can lie.

Dad ran out before
that became fashionable---
how the poor can cry.

Poisoned to death in
a rehab center by her
son's enemies---sad!

Happy and healthy
in Heaven's haven now, and
for that I am glad.

© Copyright 2010 Mark C. - All Rights Reserved
XxForever.BrokenxX
since 2008-01-20
Posts 891
Neverland
1 posted 2010-07-08 07:36 PM

I feel like there is more to this story than what you've written here. You gave such a short glimpse of a tragic tale, but haven't told us much more than the basic summary. I'd encourage you to look back and see if you can write more about this memory. It may be easier now that it has been even longer a time.

Nice write   ,

{~~*~~}

EmilyTheStrange
{~~*~~}
I have a pet unicorn...his name is Flavius, as in Flavius Belby. Flavius does not like gumballs..

easy1
since 2010-05-22
Posts 1209
Southeastern USA
2 posted 2010-07-09 11:45 AM

Thx 4 ur kind words. Things would have to get much better in my current life for anything like that to happen. "All I can do is a-shake-a my head, you might not believe that it's true..."
brian thomas madden
since 2010-07-08
Posts 32
Ireland (between an ocean and a rock)
3 posted 2010-07-09 09:59 PM

It does sound like you are writing from very personal experience. well written
Eterne
since 2010-07-21
Posts 75
Quebec, Canada
4 posted 2010-07-23 10:33 PM

In a way it shows that you cannot write more, just shake your head in disbelief, because it is very sad story lightly written... I hope you know what I mean by that...
easy1
since 2010-05-22
Posts 1209
Southeastern USA
5 posted 2010-07-24 10:26 AM

There is a semi-famous Peanuts comic strip by Charles Schulz in which Linus is begging his sister Lucy to read a book to him (at that point Linus hadn't learned to read yet).

Young curmudgeon-girl Lucy finally takes the book, opens it, and says aloud to him, "A man was born. He lived and died. The end." She hands the book back to Linus and leaves.

In the last panel Linus muses, "It almost makes you wish you knew the guy."

Not much happy about the above-posted poem/story except for the last stanza. You can assume, of course, that there was some good happiness in this person's life, but that she was very badly mistreated at times, and that some of those mistreaters aren't going directly to Heaven when they finally pass away.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Dark Poetry #5 » Ode to a friend

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary