navwin » Main Forums » Dark Poetry #5 » Loving Me (A Journey)
Dark Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic Loving Me (A Journey) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
prize
since 2008-11-21
Posts 116

0 posted 2009-04-23 08:39 PM

Determined to please
Anyone but myself
Like a wind-tattered flag
Or an empty bookshelf

Try to make others happy
At my own sacrifice
Drains my soul’s glimmer
Takes away my life

To be happy as I am
With all my defects
I need to look deeper
And strive to respect

My unique qualities
What others do see
I am a good person
Believe it! I plead…

I have overcome mountains
And have had much success
Through my life’s journey
I passed many ‘tests’

My love, he is constant
In his devotion to me
He sees the true person
That I want to see

He professes his love
His compliments flow
Of my inner beauty
And my lovely fair glow

Embarrassed, I get
As he looks in my eyes
With compliments neverending
For I think they're all lies

It’s easier for me
To see the good in him
And notice beauty in others
Because I can’t look within

I’m the empty bookshelf
Carved out of cherry
Or the wind-tattered flag
That makes me feel weary

To think I can love
Not just others, but me
To accept this and believe it
Will, one day, set me free

I wrote this poem because I am dealing with self-esteem issues.I want to thank 'a friend' on this forum for reaching out to me and helping me see, a little bit deeper, that I CAN love myself...it is just going to be hard work.Thanks for reading this very personal poem. ~P

© Copyright 2009 prize - All Rights Reserved
ProzacPoet
since 2009-04-21
Posts 5
NY, usa
1 posted 2009-04-24 01:48 PM

just found this quote on line...

THE MOST IMPORTANT KIND OF FREEDOM IS TO BE WHAT YOU REALLY ARE -- Jim Morrison

we are still trying to figure out who we really are but at least we are traveling the road and not sticking our heads in the sand anymore. We need to learn to accept who/what we are and keep searching for that ultimate freedom.

I think your name on here says it all * PRIZE * cause you really are a prize to those who love you and care for you hence it makes it easier to love ourselves....

[This message has been edited by ProzacPoet (04-24-2009 02:22 PM).]

pen&paper
since 2006-06-06
Posts 513

2 posted 2009-04-24 05:05 PM

I absolutely love this. Im also suffering from low self-esteem. My boyfriend says I'm perfect in his eyes, I'm beautiful, dadadada...but it's difficult for me to believe. This was amazing; absolutely excellent. Going in my library.

Cierra

prize
since 2008-11-21
Posts 116

3 posted 2009-04-24 06:05 PM

Hi ProzacPoet (long time since we communicated - Ha!)

I LOVE Jim Morrison and love the quote - I actually wrote a paper about him in my abnormal psych class back in college - the quote is fitting, because he was pretty nuts too!!!

THE MOST IMPORTANT KIND OF FREEDOM IS TO BE WHAT YOU REALLY ARE -- Jim Morrison

Freedom - I am so glad I have some freedom today.  It is great to realize that!

Thanks for the compliment, too.  I have to start believing my bf and that what he says is true.  It is hard though, as you know, a journey...that is why I added it to the title.

~P

prize
since 2008-11-21
Posts 116

4 posted 2009-04-24 06:10 PM

Thanks for your reply, Cierra, and I'm so glad you can relate to my poem - nothing makes me happier than finding others who understand ME and you do.

Low self-esteem has been one of the highlights of my life.  I have accomplished so much, but I've also made mistakes - I need to stop focusing on the mistakes!!  Yes, my bf is always saying similar things to me and even points out when other guys look at me - he loves it because he says I'm HIS.  But I just don't notice it and don't get it - I need to start looking in the mirror and telling myself the same things - we both should do that!  I believe we are both beautiful, inside and out, and realizing it will help us love ourselves!  ~P

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Dark Poetry #5 » Loving Me (A Journey)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary