navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » I Never Asked for This!
Open Poetry #43
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Never Asked for This! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Vestibular Bard
since 2008-12-11
Posts 284
New York

0 posted 2008-12-11 08:13 PM

I Never Asked For This!
- by the Vestibular Bard

To be?,
Or not to be?
It seems I’ve found my muse...
So let me ponder deeply,
In a rhyme that will amuse.

I don’t recall my mom,
Nor dad,
That night so long ago,
Asking if I cared to ‘be’,
Or ‘not’…
…and just lay low.

This choice was not my own,
No consent of mine received…
My folks, they did the ‘wild thing’,
That’s why I was conceived.

The first nine months were splendid!
It was nice in my own room...
But then I got evicted,
From my warm and cozy womb!

Again nobody stopped to ask,
Would you like to be?
…or not?’
And soon enough,
I’m gettin’ squeezed,
Through this tiny little slot!

I felt a chill,
I felt a slap,
I felt slimy and wet...
I gasped for air,
I made a cry,
This wasn’t like Hamlet!

Now I’ve been here,
For two score year...
I’ve enjoyed my time,
a lot...
But when it’s time,
To end life's rhyme,
I shan’t be asked,
I’ll just be…

...NOT!…

[This message has been edited by Vestibular Bard (12-11-2008 09:17 PM).]

© Copyright 2008 Vestibular Bard - All Rights Reserved
Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 posted 2008-12-11 08:30 PM

Yo Vestibular Bard,

You have the right idea.

This is a good one, I like it.

Bobby

steavenr
Member Elite
since 2003-11-17
Posts 4058

2 posted 2008-12-11 09:10 PM

Welcome to PiP...interesting and insightful write
Vestibular Bard
since 2008-12-11
Posts 284
New York
3 posted 2008-12-11 09:13 PM

Thank-you steavenr, it's good to be here.

Do you like existential poetry?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2008-12-11 09:13 PM

Actually, I'd argue that perhaps your living quarters got a bit cramped.

The food was probably bland too.

You made me smile though, so yes, a warm welcome to Pip!

amusemi
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1262
A State of Disarray
5 posted 2008-12-12 12:19 PM

Great first post!  Enjoyed...
LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
Boot+Kitty=Poetry in motion
6 posted 2008-12-12 09:07 AM

Quit yer whinin'!!  You think you got it rough??  When Toerag was born, the Doctor slapped his mother!

Just kidding.  I wonder what will be your dash.

Vestibular Bard
since 2008-12-11
Posts 284
New York
7 posted 2008-12-12 09:15 AM

My 'dash'?
LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
Boot+Kitty=Poetry in motion
8 posted 2008-12-12 11:04 AM

Ah!  You haven't read the poem about Living the Dash?  See if you can find it on the web.  Very well written and thought provoking.  The dash refers to the dash between one's birth date and one's date of demise written on his grave marker.  The dates mean little, but what that dash means says a lot.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2008-12-12 12:46 PM

Welcome to PiP! What a wonderful muse that visits you...I hope he comes and sits on your shoulder often.

Please, check your email for a Very Special Greeting!!

" It matters not this distance now  " Excerpt, Yesterday's Love
~*~
KRJ

Marc-Andre
since 2008-12-07
Posts 501

10 posted 2008-12-12 12:49 PM

Interesting, I enjoyed this
Vestibular Bard
since 2008-12-11
Posts 284
New York
11 posted 2008-12-12 04:07 PM

"Ah!  You haven't read the poem about Living the Dash?  See if you can find it on the web.  Very well written and thought provoking.  The dash refers to the dash between one's birth date and one's date of demise written on his grave marker.

LngJhnAg,

Ah, I see now.

Do you mean the poem 'The Dash'? Written by Linda Ellis? http://lindaellis.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/11/the-dash.html

I managed to find it with google, and unfortunately, I personally did not think it was either well written or thought provoking. In fact, I found it to be poorly written, and quite shallow, derivative and somewhat pretentious. Hope you don't mind my honest opinion on that and it won’t start our relationship off on bad terms.

I also found it to be somewhat amusing,  that according to the blog entry that preceded it, Linda is a somewhat ‘renowned’  poetic ‘celebrity’ because of this poem, and goes around reciting it, to no doubt church groups, who treat her like a poetic ‘Dr. Phil’, and apparently sometimes get upset, because she doesn't mention the words god, or Jesus or Buddha in it.

At least in her blog entry she seemed not the least bit pretentious or preachy, and was very funny and self effacing. She also appears to be somewhat still puzzled and amused by the reaction, attention and cottage industry that her little ditty has spawned for her.
It's always amazing to watch a new internet meme sweep through a human population like a flu bug.

Alas, I realize ironically, there are probably certain people who have now read a poem by Linda Ellis, forwarded to them in a spam e-mail, but nothing by Shakespeare.

As for what will be 'my dash'? Well, I guess the way I understand it now, is that 'my dash' is simply a corny, gravestone abbreviation for 'my life'. And while I can appreciate some of Linda's broadly humanist, altruistic advice, to live your life with ‘respect’ and ‘love’ and ‘understanding’, and to do it all with a ‘smile’…I found this one step up the poetic ladder from being told to ‘be a good person’ by a muppet on Sesame Street.

If my surviving family members follow my wishes, I will not have a ‘dash’, because I will not have a gravestone. My ashes will be scattered by them, over a beautiful, peaceful, and favorite place where my family and I have shared many great times together.

As for what someone will say about me at that time, or how someone will remember me later?
Well, the best I can hope for is people remember a time I when made them think, or laugh, or both.

Sincerely,

The Vestibular Bard

YoungatHeart2
since 2008-12-12
Posts 81

12 posted 2008-12-13 12:29 PM

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
13 posted 2008-12-13 09:39 PM

Welcome to PIP, Vestibular Bard. I really enjoyed your first post and look forward to many more.
                                Ida

XOx Uriah xOX
since 2006-02-11
Posts 1403
Virginia
14 posted 2008-12-14 02:53 PM

hahahaha    I am reminded of a time, when my oldest son ranted,  "I never asked to be born !"       My reply was...   "Who... never asked?"      He is still pondering that.

Fun write    

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
15 posted 2008-12-14 05:44 PM

Welcome and I can tell I am really going to enjoy your input here.  I am one that doesn't even care if they scatter them   Well done!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » I Never Asked for This!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary