navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » It's Random (For Midnitesun)
Open Poetry #43
Post A Reply Post New Topic It's Random (For Midnitesun) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2008-11-06 09:44 PM

It’s Random
By Larry Chadwick

It has nothing to do with being happy or sad,
Even less to do with whether we are good or bad.
It has nothing to do with being timid or bold,
And even less to do with whether we are young or old.

It has nothing to do with being a girl or boy,
Even less to do with whether we are rash or coy.
And seldom does it matter if you are fit or fat,
It can be just about anything from this to that.

Illness seems to strike when we are unprepared,
It’s as if it never even really cared.
But the thing it seems to do faithfully each time,
Is attack the ones that are friends of yours and mine.
November 6, 2008

© Copyright 2008 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
1 posted 2008-11-06 09:55 PM

Larry C - it attacks not only friends, but oneself when it's least expected. Nice write...

BC

Bridget Shenachie
since 2002-01-23
Posts 1056
Kansas USA
2 posted 2008-11-07 03:48 AM

True--illness is so much more agonizing when it hits home.  As always, I came back to these pages...looking for you.  Excellent write!

Your old friend,
Bridget

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2008-11-07 10:43 AM

Yes, you are right and say it beautifully.

Love,
Margherita

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2008-11-07 12:38 PM

This is true, Larry. Guess my number must have rolled around.
I am feeling somewhat stronger today, am beginning to regain some energy. It's a rocky road ahead, but with friends like you standing beside me, I just might leap over the boulders.

secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
5 posted 2008-11-07 01:23 PM

Kathleen 'Kacy' Stafford is one of those rare and special,
soft-brilliant 'lights' that this sad 'ol world so desperately needs!

MUCH applause for this 'penning'!

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
6 posted 2008-11-07 07:47 PM

Larry darling man,

The words you write always have the touch of truth, and so skilfully placed in their setting that they fit together beautifully. You always did have a magical touch when it came to rhyme, and in this gem you’ve really hit the perfect note. Beautifully said.

I’m not feeling great today, it has been another long one, and I still haven’t finished the workshop piece. I did send you the story didn’t I? If not let me know and I’ll send it again.

Take care dear friend, look after yourself

Love and warm stuff
as always
Mushy
x x x x x

Tomorrow is another day I don't know what it holds
but I can face the future with courage brave and bold

Footprints In My Heart
Kethry

Pilgrimage
Member Elite
since 2001-12-04
Posts 3945
Texas, USA
7 posted 2008-11-08 12:22 PM

Are we ever prepared?  I don't really think so.  Nicely phrased.

Nan (Pilgrim variety)

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
8 posted 2008-11-08 04:12 AM

Thank you for this, Larry. Maybe if we all join forces we can help Kacy through this
ordeal.
                                 Ida

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
9 posted 2008-11-08 09:04 AM

Bill,
That is so true. But in my experience with extreme health matters I have found that it is easier to be the victim of a health crisis than to watch friends or family suffer from them. Yet you are so correct we are all caught unprepared.

Bridget Shenachie,
My dear friend, you are so faithful and I thank you for that. Fortunately age is just a number but in that regard I'm getting old too. Our typical health matters we see as a challenge. But when it is stage four cancer you are so right to say that we agonize. Peace and good health to you.

Margetrita,
Thank you for taking the time to read and respond so kindly.

Kacy my dear sister,
You tempt me to philosophize as you make me picture God somewhere rolling the dice. And yet it truly is so random. I'm grateful that you are a fighter. I'm proud to call you my sister. And I'm pleased to know that you are gaining strength for the battle. And my trials have etched in my mind the truth that "Grief without growth, is pain without purpose".

There is much to grieve when we lose our good health. And so I stand shoulder to shoulder with you to offer all the strength and encouragement that distance allows. For I know what it means to be strengthened by others as you have so aptly taught me in my own grief. Besides courage I believe that the mind that determines to fight with a positive attitude has the greatest power. And I know that God still is on the thrown. So I wish for you the best of all these things that you might truly own the title survivor.

Bruce,
I find much comfort in knowing that it is you who is available for Kathleen. And she truly is a soft-brilliant light to us all. Bless you for your tender caring heart. I'm proud to call you a friend of mine. How appropriate it is that you can remind Kacy of the out of doors while she is not strong enough to be there. You ARE the man.

Marsha dear friend,
You gush so much that I gain confidence each time that with my British ancestry I am persuaded you bear the bias of a relative! Thank you always for your kind words. And I'm sorry it was not a great day for you but pray that the rest will be.

I still await the arrival of your story. Keep at the homework as you don't want to miss out on a good grade. Besides it would be such a fine example to your lovely daughter.

Dear Nan,
No, I fear not. Nor, I suppose, would it be a pleasant approach to life if we were. And thank you for stopping in. I pray all is well with you.

Ida,
I think that is an awesome suggestion and one of the greatest attributes of the poets of this website. I have personally had my life powerfully impacted by that very experience. And so I pray that Midnitesun finds the same strength in the support that we provide that I experienced. And bless you for being willing to be a part of that team!

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
10 posted 2008-11-10 01:10 AM

Larry,

This is so true and the caring of 'you' just comes out loud and clear.  I am so glad that our Kacy has such a friend in you.

With love and hugs,
Alison

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
11 posted 2008-11-10 05:41 PM

Is attack the ones that are friends of yours and mine........." ~ This is a VERY true write!~ I really thought this was a well written write and it delivers a strong message to it's readers!

Get well soon Midnitesun!!

ARCTIC WIND

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » It's Random (For Midnitesun)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary