navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » Dissipate
Open Poetry #43
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dissipate Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon

0 posted 2008-11-03 12:58 PM

(Hi everyone! I truly miss posting here, as I've had adversities and obligations as of late that I had to work to resolve, but am relieved I have taken care of most of them, yay! =)

The following poem delves deep into an emotionally exasperating period lately where, due to my orthorexia (fixation on eating raw, natural foods and eschewing processed foods) rumors about me having anorexia developed, and despite my constant reassurance that my decision has everything to do with internal purity and nothing to do with external appearance, they kept rebounding, and on my birthday last week, when I didn't have any of my birthday cake because it was made from Duncan Hines ingredients, which includes artificial additives like sucralose and partially hydrogenated oil, I just kept quiet and hoped they wouldn't notice, but then my mother did notice and said in a nagging tone "Noah, why haven't you been eating any of your cake?" and I shrugged and said "Artificial preservatives!" and then my mom said in a nagging tone "You have to get over this obsession with body image, blah blah blah!" and with a tone as though I was out of my head, despite me telling them again and again these past several years of my true concerns!

So this song-like poem really delves into the visceral emotions and angst of rumors and how, despite our best, mature efforts in dispelling them, sometimes it feels like they never go to rest, and I wrote this tone-wise in a style where at first a rumor starts off as an almost inaudible whisper but then keeps gaining volume and as that happens you're forced to speak up until sometimes you find yourself having to scream from the top of your lungs, so while this is a very personal poem and has an emotionally naked appeal to it, I feel it can apply universally to any cruel rumor any of us have been victimized by and our trying experiences dealing with it.)

Dissipate
By: Noah Eaton
11/1/08
…a rumor that can’t stand upright in place…
…still is able to get around some other way…
…cut right to the bone and desecrate…
…why can’t they make it dissipate…
…why can’t they make it dissipate,
why must they let it procreate,
spinning this plate until it breaks,
why can’t they make it dissipate…
…I already have plenty on my plate…
…once the wind stops to listen it won’t abate…
…soon they evolve and then conflate…
……why can’t they make it dissipate…
……why can’t they make it dissipate,
why can’t they make it dissipate…
I heard what you don't see with your eyes,
shouldn’t be witnessed with your mouth,
but once whispers run ahead of your breath,
dispelling them is like trying to unring a bell…

…why can’t they make it dissipate,
why can’t they make it dissipate,
cutting to the bone to desecrate,
why can’t they make it dissipate,
once the wind stops to listen it won’t abate,
why can’t they make it dissipate?
I heard what you don't see with your eyes,
dispelling them is like trying to unring a bell…

RUNNING ON WHEELS, ALWAYS ON THE CHASE,
WHY CAN’T THEY MAKE IT DISSIPATE?
NOWHERE TO HIDE AS THEY INFLATE,

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

© Copyright 2008 Nadia Lockheart - All Rights Reserved
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
1 posted 2008-11-03 03:38 AM

Noah,

I have missed your poetry - this is an important one that you have shared.  Thank you for the introduction as it made it so much more powerful for me.  Rumors are horrible as are those who push their beliefs on others.  

Thank you for sharing.

Alison

steavenr
Member Elite
since 2003-11-17
Posts 4058

2 posted 2008-11-03 08:28 AM

"I heard what you don't see with your eyes,
dispelling them is like trying to unring a bell"

lots of depth in this one, but let me say (if you will permit me) just hang in there.  I have learned from experience that rumors are nurtured by those who want to build themselves up by tearing others down...a poor idea that hurts all involved...good to see you posting again

Janette
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-07-20
Posts 2843
Chicagoland for now
3 posted 2008-11-03 11:51 AM

Noah - first, thank you for the enlightening introduction to this piece.  I was engrossed with reading the entire thing, learning of your real-life trauma at attempting to dispel ugly rumors.  How awful!  And I hope you will soon overturn your "adversities" and complete most of your "obligations" so you will have some time left over for yourself to grace us with your presence.

PS - in the picture your calves look good and strong....so ya must be on the run a lot *wink wink*

Janette

always seeking joy, adventure and romance and wishing you find the same

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
4 posted 2008-11-03 03:21 PM

Good to read your work again, Noah.  I relate to the subject matter all too well.  I learned when I'm ridiculed while pleasing God with my best, I simply smile, "God knows!" as that's my firm belief. I feel it's the best possible solution.  Others will believe what they wish and we can't control that, but fighting on their terms jeoprodizes a calm solution.  Perhaps they'll be set to thinking after the "God knows" response, but if not, at least that truth gives me peace.

Congratulations on taking a stand for your beliefs and belated Happy Birthday, Noah.

Bless you,
Rae

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 posted 2008-11-03 03:39 PM

Yo Noah,

This is well done.  Eat what you want, however:

Mangia, Mangia.

My wife taught me to cook, and eat Sicilian.  It’s the best diet in the world.

Bobby

[This message has been edited by Robert E. Jordan (11-03-2008 05:29 PM).]

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
6 posted 2008-11-03 04:36 PM

Noah - I know rumours well, live in a small town and see how they are. However, eat Noah, one must have nourishment to survive. All foods are not bad for one. Wish you well..

BC

Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
7 posted 2008-11-05 03:35 AM

Hello my lovely Noah! I truly have missed reading your beautiful work... this is a great offering from you... I send you lots of hugs and much love and please don't give up on us.. we need you here to indulge us with your gorgeous poetry...  be well  love RDB xx

Be kind at heart....for everyone you meet has their own battle to fight.........

vandana
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Patricius
since 1999-10-22
Posts 10463
USA
8 posted 2008-11-05 12:16 PM

ENJOYED
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
9 posted 2008-11-07 05:30 PM

Enjoyed reading the reasons behind a write and the poetry...James
Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
10 posted 2008-11-07 07:56 PM

Heartfelt penning Noah!
~Enjoyed the Write..

ARCTIC WIND

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » Dissipate

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary