navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » Spider
Open Poetry #43
Post A Reply Post New Topic Spider Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2008-10-02 02:47 PM

SPIDER
2 April 2001

About ten days ago
I fed a hungry little spider.
“On what?” you say.
Oh, I gave him a calf….
My left one, actually.
He didn’t finish it
which shows how considerate spiders are -
and I have plenty of leg left for myself
and the arachnid signature is fading fast.
And somewhere out there is a little spider with whom I have blood ties,
but sadly I won’t recognise
him
(or is it her?)
if I should meet up with
my little blood brother
or sister.

- Owl

© Copyright 2008 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2008-10-02 03:05 PM

A unique point of view! I love that you understand the true meaning of
   'we are all one.'
But I still prefer they not bite me.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2008-10-02 03:19 PM

Smiles, Kacy.  It was a friendly bite.

- Owl

steavenr
Member Elite
since 2003-11-17
Posts 4058

3 posted 2008-10-02 03:59 PM

glad your spider was friendly...last time I got bit it left a decaying hole in my leg.  It was a brown recluse bite and caused me to regret the whole species.  Now I never meet a spider that I like.
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
4 posted 2008-10-02 06:53 PM

Diana! What kindness you show this little "brother or sister"! I love them too - at distance - because they eat also mosquitos, besides calfs .

What an original write!

Once in summer I was ironing when from the corner of my eye I noticed a certain movement on my left shoulder. When I realized that it was an enormous black spider I was so shocked I couldn't even scream. I put the iron down and with my right hand I launched the spider far away ... how it had arrived on my shoulder I will never know. After I calmed down I let the spider climb on a piece of paper and from there I shook it and let it "sail" down from the balcony to the garden below.

Love and hugs.
Margherita

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2008-10-02 09:29 PM

Ironic, my friend...as I gave up my neck to a
spider that seemed to have something quite
infectious...which then led to a physician's visit
as well as antibiotics because the growth
of where it bet grew and
grew and grew....

and I really didn't want to lose my head over
this little insect!

I'm doing better...How are you?

poddarku
since 2008-01-15
Posts 589
india
6 posted 2008-10-02 11:21 PM

This is the best from you. It really gets into the mind and stays there like I have got some cells of your blood too.

clever talks delay friendship!

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
7 posted 2008-10-03 02:01 AM

Steaven I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience and I am glad that you recovered.  I think it was Bobby who said, in response to Midnitesun's spider poem, that brown recluse and black widow spiders (I knew about black widow spiders) are the dangerous spiders in America.  

However, if you see it from another point of view.  In all your life you were bitten by one brown recluse spider.  Think how many brown recluse spiders there are that DIDN'T bite you!  I would guess from their name that they are very seldom around people.  Perhaps he/she was just very afraid of you.  I would imagine that he/she didn't intend to harm you - just to feed or protect him/herself.

Thank you, Margherita, for not hurting my big little friend.  I think I, too, would have got a fright.  Perhaps he/she landed there to say Hello, knowing you wouldn't hurt him/her.

Wow, Karilea!  The neck is very near the brain and not a good place to be bitten by a poisonous spider.  I am glad you recovered.  (I am fine - would appreciate prayers for a Yes result to a job interview yesterday.)

What a beautiful response, Kushal!  It is the International Non-Violence Day on 7 October 2008 - if only the whole world could and would think the same on that day and thence forward.

- Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
8 posted 2008-10-03 02:51 AM

Joining you, dear Diana, in an advance prayer of gratitude for the YES outcome of your job interview (do as if you had already received ...).
Love and hugs and have a wonderful day.
Margherita

"Love is the One who masters all things;
I am mastered totally by Love."
(Rumi)

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
9 posted 2008-10-03 06:26 AM

Thanks, Margherita!  I will do so.  Grateful smiles.

- Owl

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
10 posted 2008-10-03 02:41 PM

hi Owl, this is so cute....I like spiders too exept when they bite....I let some spiders in my house cause I know they are very helpful and sometimes drive them outside without hurting them....Despite all that your poem is delightful and share humour very nicely....

thank you

yann

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
11 posted 2008-10-03 10:22 PM

Got lucky, huh?  I'll send over a Loon so that
he/she can eradicate he/she.

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
12 posted 2008-10-03 10:32 PM

Yo OwlSA,

I love spiders, because they eat flies.

Bobby

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
13 posted 2008-10-03 10:44 PM

I try to just leave spiders alone because they are useful and hope they feel the same way. My son-in law and grandaughters are in the same kind of trouble as Karilea if they get bitten by a spider.
by the way, I've got my fingers crossed for your interview too, Diana.
                       Good Luck, Ida

sewasham
since 2006-09-11
Posts 714
Oklahoma, USA
14 posted 2008-10-03 11:28 PM

Ouch! Glad to hear he/she/it didn't get greedy and take the whole leg. Nice writing D'. Take care and Have fun. Steve

The Lady
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-12-26
Posts 7634
The Southwest
15 posted 2008-10-04 01:11 AM

beware the frumious brown recluse
he brings a deadly bite

but this Diana
this brings pure delight

I love your love of all creatures great and small and I am holding you tight in my heart for a yes answer to your interview

love

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
16 posted 2008-10-04 02:54 AM

Yann, thank you for caring so kindly for my little friends and for enjoying my spider poem and its humour.  

Hey, Barry!  Now I know you are teasing.  You wouldn't let my darling loons do such a terrible thing!

Thanks, Bobby for loving my little friends.  

Thanks, Ida.  I am sure they do feel the same way.  I am sorry to hear that your grandchildren have such a reaction to spider bites.  I can understand your wanting to keep spiders and your grandkids far apart, just to be on the safe side, even though spiders don't usually feed on calves or necks!  

Thanks for crossing your fingers for me for the job.  However, I am losing hope that I have that job (although I am trying to do as Margherita suggested - "believe as though I have received"), as I didn't hear anything from them yesterday . . . but with a big push and a lot of hope and luck and blessing, Monday could still be included, I suppose, in the "couple of days" in which I was told I would hear from them.  He had to discuss it with 2 other people, at least one of whom is out of the country in Moçambique (North East of South Africa).  I will phone him on Monday afternoon if I haven't heard anything from them by then.

Giggles, Steve.  It wasn't painful at all - just verrrrrry itchy!

Yes, Kate, the frumious brown recluse and the bandersnatch should get on well together!  

Loving all creatures great and small brings me such joy.  Thank you for holding me tight for the yes answer to my interview.

- And the missing six-year old (see Discussions/Announcements) was found at 4.30am safe and sound.  Won't know too many details until my son Chris wakes up after the 6½ hour night search.  

- Owl

[This message has been edited by OwlSA (10-04-2008 03:27 AM).]

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
17 posted 2008-10-04 11:41 AM

"And somewhere out there is a little spider with whom I have blood ties,"

~ Diana, you are absolutely adorable! I would wager my proverbial halo that no one else on the face of the earth thinks like you do! ~ and that's a bloomin' shame!

Linda xo

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
18 posted 2008-10-04 01:27 PM

Oh, you are a sweetie, Linda.  

I, too, often think that nobody thinks the way I do, certainly in my entirety - I think that in individual ways, there are quite a few people who think the way I do - although perhaps not too many with regard to spiders and snakes and some of my other little friends. - but the total mix of me is a little too unique for my comfort - as I wrote about in a poem once.  I know there are a lot of people who think I am weird!

- Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #43 » Spider

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary