navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Flicka, the Healer
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Flicka, the Healer Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2008-07-03 06:44 PM

FLICKA, THE HEALER
10 February 2007

Slow, sun bandage,
wrapped around
my leaden shoulders
by my angel horse
in Heaven,
liberates them,
as always,
and, like wings,
they flutter skywards,
in splintered dance
and silent gratitude
and goldenbrown-coat adoration.

- Owl

© Copyright 2008 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2008-07-03 07:04 PM

Your muse sings tender heart-songs when you speak of Flicka. I know how much you miss her, but really...she is always cantering with you, Diana.
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2008-07-03 07:24 PM

Thank you so much, my sister, Kacy.  I know you understand the magic of horses.  By the way, the Flicka of the book and the movie was a she, but my darling is/was a he.     He will forgive you, though and instantly!  Your message is beautiful, and Flicka will thank your for looking after his mommy so kindly.  Yes, I feel him around me all the time, but it is still so hard . . .  

- Owl

XGarapanX
since 2008-06-19
Posts 1435
Antarctica
3 posted 2008-07-03 10:10 PM

What a fortunate friend Flicka had in you.

·´~`·­»Garapan«­·´~`·

The Lady
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-12-26
Posts 7634
The Southwest
4 posted 2008-07-03 10:58 PM

I agree with Kacy
when I see you in my mind's eye
Flicka is always beside you

lovely Diana

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
5 posted 2008-07-04 04:45 AM

Diana,

I think Flicka is always watching over you - just as my Tasha Dog is always at my side.

I love your love.

Alison

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
6 posted 2008-07-04 05:17 AM

quote:
and, like wings,
they flutter skywards,
in splintered dance

Poignantly beautiful, dear Diana!

Love,
Margherita

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
7 posted 2008-07-04 06:37 AM

Hello Owl, very beautiful write, Flicka was really a beautiful and kind horse cause your inspiration is abundant and warmful...

Have a sweet day

yann

Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
8 posted 2008-07-04 08:23 AM

all I can do is send you some hugs Diana... this was a beautiful gifting for Flicka.. love RDB

Be kind at heart....for everyone you meet has their own battle to fight.........

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
9 posted 2008-07-04 01:22 PM

Thank you Garapan – yes, Flicka was/is my best friend, my son, my life!

Oh, Kate!  You say such beautiful things, and this is THE most beautiful!

Thank you Alison.  You are right.  He is always watching over me.  Funny how our wonderful animals can be in Heaven and yet with us.  Tasha and Flicka have met.  I know that because Flicka absolutely adored/adores all animals (and people) and I believe that one of his privileges in Heaven is to welcome all newcomers and make sure that they meet everyone and learn where everything is – for a start, the green pastures to gambol and roll in, the doggy, kitty, horsy etc treats – and I also believe that a related privilege that Flicka has, is to make sure that absolutely every animal and human in Heaven - newcomers and settled inhabitants alike - are mega-happy at every moment of every day.  Thus, Tasha and Flicka have met and I can assure you, with Flicka as his friend in Heaven, and you at his side on Earth, Tasha must be as happy as he was when he was alive with you.

Alison, what a lovely thing to say – and so profound too – that you love my love.  I believe that you understand extremely well what it is like to have all this overflowing love with not enough animals and people in the world to dish it out to (OK, as far as the humans go, I suppose I should say enough people I want to dish it out to) – I see it in your poetry – especially that stunning one that reminded me of one of Robert Frost’s poems.  I think you titled it “I Like” – or something very similar.  

Thank you Margherita.  I am glad you singled out those lines.  

Thank you Yann for understanding so well what an absolutely wonderful horse Flicka was/is and how special the bond was/is between him and me.  I did actually have a great day today.  I am sure that it was because you wished it for me.  You, too have a lovely evening tonight and day tomorrow.

Thank you, Roneice.  Those hugs you gave me are very special.  Flicka was a beautiful gifting for me for the 20½ years that I and my children were his and the 2 years we knew him before that.  When the loss hits me extra hard in the solar plexus in these 6 years since he went to Heaven with his head on my lap, I try to remember how very, very blessed I – out of all the millions of people in the world – was, to have been the one that belonged to him.  

- Owl

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
10 posted 2008-07-04 05:26 PM

Your Flicka reminds me of our Sam, a black lab.  Hm... I used to think of him everyday, but hadn't thought of him for about a week now.  It's amazing how an animal can become a part of one's family.  Sam was amazing, too!

Have a good weekend, Owl.

~miscellanea~

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
11 posted 2008-07-04 07:05 PM

Cathy, I am so sad that you lost Sam, but I am so happy that you had him in your life and that he and Flicka are safe and happy in Heaven and have met and are close friends.

You too, have a good weekend.  Thank you for understanding about Flicka.  

- Owl

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
12 posted 2008-07-04 07:33 PM

the goldenbrown-coat adoration elicited a sigh from me. the kind where you go Awwww.....
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
13 posted 2008-07-04 07:38 PM

Heng, thank you for understanding - from Flicka and me!  

- Owl

Richy
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 3050

14 posted 2008-07-04 11:23 PM

What horse, animal, or person, wouldn't be as wonderful as your dear Flicka, that had you, as their friend.

How lucky was your dear Flicka,
as are we.

Rich

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
15 posted 2008-07-05 08:28 AM

Thank you Richy for your very kind, warm words.  It is true that my animals know how loved they are, but Flicka truly was like that before I was his.  

He was a horse at the riding school where my children and I rode for 2 years.  The owner (who was at a riding school with me when we were both children) and her husband were selling the house and the stables and the horses.  She started selling the horses only one at a time and over a long period so that she could be sure that they would all go to good homes.  There was no way in the world that I could have afforded to buy a horse and I didn't give it a thought.  One day when Leskin (the owner) and I were walking around the stables and talking to all of the horses in turn, and when we got to Flicka's stable she said with some of the horses, they just needed good homes where they would be cared for very well, but that she was going to be extra fussy about the home that Flicka went to, as he needed so very much love.  The rest of the day, I was in contortions worrying about Flicka's future.  At 9pm that night, I suddenly made the decision and phoned Leskin, talking at 100 miles an hour, somehow thinking that somebody could get in and buy Flicka while I was talking to Leskin.  I asked her if Flicka was still available and she said yes.  I asked her how much she was asking for him and she said R250 [250 rand] (which, even in those days was NOTHING for a horse) and I said could I buy him and she said Yes with no hesitation.  Then I asked her how much she was asking for his saddle and bridle and she said they were included in the R250.  And that was how I found the love of my life.  It took me about 10 years to realise that Leskin orchestrated Flicka going to my children and me.  I am eternally grateful to Leskin for that.

Yes, once Flicka was no longer a riding school horse and had 3 adoring attendants of his own for life, our bond grew stronger every day, but he truly was/is the most wonderful horse in the world.  He adored all animals and people and they all adored him back.

Thanks, Richy, for saying that Flicka was the lucky one, but it was really I who was the lucky one.  I get cold shivers down my spine when I think how nearly I missed out on 20½ years of being Flicka's.

- Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Flicka, the Healer

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary