navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » The Shortcut
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Shortcut Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California

0 posted 2008-06-16 02:29 PM

If space could be folded
like a towel
to shorten the distance
between point A
and point B,
then what?
A shorter trip to....?
                  Ida

© Copyright 2008 Ida Werrett - All Rights Reserved
Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 posted 2008-06-16 07:23 PM

Cute one Ida,

It all depends if you're flying or driving.

Bobby

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
2 posted 2008-06-17 03:03 AM

Space and time are intriguing matters, dear Ida, and I love your inquiring mind. To where? Stargazing may give us an idea of how many choices we might have ... it's mind boggling, isn't it?

Enjoyed this much!

Love,
Margherita

gilead
since 2008-03-10
Posts 1067
nevada, USA
3 posted 2008-06-17 11:54 AM

I haven't fully bought into the notion of collapsible quantum space (I just know those brilliant physicists are losing sleep over my doubts!   ), but your poem is an interesting way of exploring the possibility, and "possibility" is what drives the advance of knowledge.

Art

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
4 posted 2008-06-17 12:06 PM

Hmmm, let me ponder a postulation for a moment. Aha! Methinks that if the time towel was to be folded over once (evenly) then the new destination would be C and you would get there in half the time it would have taken to travel from A to B! That makes perfect sense to me!

Love these little stinkers ~ I mean "thinkers" ~ of yours! You're more than just a pretty face, Einstein!

Mwaaah!
Linda

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
5 posted 2008-06-17 12:27 PM

Is this algebra?

If it is the folded towel would definitely become "x" and then a + b = x.  Now find C.  And I don't do algebra, but I do love this poem.  Maybe it's a story problem

If the towel is blowing from the east and the breeze is at 40 knots, how many knots are in the towel before it is folded when the train is coming from the west at 45 mph?

Okay, I am lost now.  I have to leave for work before I am hit by the train or the naughty towel.

xoxoxo
A

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
6 posted 2008-06-17 03:20 PM

That was fun and interesting, Ida, as well as the lovely replies you got too.

- Owl

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
7 posted 2008-06-17 04:47 PM

Thank you all for your very nice and interesting replies. I have always been interested in astrophysics and new ways of thinking about our universe.
                                 Ida

gilead
since 2008-03-10
Posts 1067
nevada, USA
8 posted 2008-06-17 05:42 PM

It is an established fact that when a beam  of light passes my head, the beam is bent in direct proportion to the mass, "density" and size of my head. The curvature of the beam is considerable! This is in support of your premise of malleable space-time Ida!   And don't you just love the goofy look on this smiley face! It reminds me of my hero, Alfred E. Newman of Mad Magazine!   ---What? Me worry?

Art

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
9 posted 2008-06-17 08:29 PM

Space is now thought to be  bent around the planets as well (kind of like a stretchy net) which can open up a very interesting line of thought. Who knows? There are so many new theories. It is fun to explore the many possibilities. (luckily the mind is stretchy too) hmmm. I'm sure you are aware of the string theory. Art. Some say it puts the Big Bang theory to rest but I don't know about that.
                                 Ida
                                 Ida

gilead
since 2008-03-10
Posts 1067
nevada, USA
10 posted 2008-06-18 09:54 AM

Hi, Ida! Yes, it's a wild ride following these theories. First there was just string theory, now we have super string theory---the notion that the ultimate foundation of matter is bound up in one (yes, one!) dimensional, vibrating strings, and these oscillations between exotic mass and energy are what all things are comprised of. Now they've added the mathematics of 11 dimensions of space-time into the mix, and it's making for a very messy theoretical goo! I'm trying to keep up with it all, and someday maybe I'll sum it all up in a poem, that is if I live long enough for the boys in white coats to turn these theories into demonstrable law. In the meantime, I'm keeping my money on the Big Bang and all the questions it still imposes!

Art

[This message has been edited by gilead (06-18-2008 10:44 AM).]

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
11 posted 2008-06-18 04:30 PM

Hello Ida, thank you at first for your e mail, I gave you two answers which  came back with mention undelivered messages, so you didn't receice them...I want to thank you warmly for caring about me...In fact I'm well excepted an tooth ache that gave me pain five days ago and I have some work with the baccalauréat..I think there is now many more poets on american poems and this give the feeling that I don't see you often but it's an impression...Otherwise I didn't comment this poem, it is the first that I didn't understand, I'm sorry...I will greedily read your next ones...

love

yann

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
12 posted 2008-06-18 06:37 PM

Would be Chicago...if we could build vacuum tubes to connect all the major cities in the world, you could climb inside a small transport vessel in Honolulu and end up in Chicago in perhaps a few hours, now wouldn't that be nice...James
Richy
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 3050

13 posted 2008-06-19 09:50 PM

Hmmm... ?

Now I think you guys, and gals, are on the right track, but you're still off a wee bit. You see it's pretty simple really, it's all about my big gun theory. In the begining, or the end, take your pick, there was one great big, black hole which was the inside of a fairly large cannon. It was packed with atoms, very, very tight of course, and then came, all the mass that was just lying around, that was rammed in there too. Someone took one of those string theories, and placed it in the vent hole, and then lit it... Kaboom! Big Bang Bowling Ball hurling through the void... which of course ricocheted off folding towel A to folding towel B, and so on, and so on, creating all of the black holes, and worm holes in the fabric of time/space, until the cannon ball finally exploded, and made all those stars and such we see up at in the night sky.

I know, I know, go ahead and smack me with that folded wet towel... crack... OWWW!!

Fun stuff Ida!

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
14 posted 2008-06-20 10:44 AM

Probably as good a therory as any, Rich.
                                  Ida

gilead
since 2008-03-10
Posts 1067
nevada, USA
15 posted 2008-06-20 01:04 PM

I agree with Ida---makes as much sense as super strings, and space bent out of shape, like my mind this morning on the Solstice of summer in hell!

Greetings from steamy Las Vegas!

Art

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
16 posted 2008-06-21 12:35 PM

Hi Art,
It couldn't be much worse that it is here in El Monte this week. just the beginning of summer. Can't wait for October.
                                   Ida

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » The Shortcut

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary