navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Motionless
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Motionless Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2008-06-15 08:10 AM

MOTIONLESS
25 November 2006

As lonely as
a solitary black umbrella
shining with rain
on a dimlit night,
she sits like a gravestone,
grey hair cascading
down her tired shoulders,
surrounded by momentos
in her silent home,
willing
her children back
for so long now . . .
she would tell them
about the lemon tree
if only it would matter . . .

- Owl

© Copyright 2008 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
1 posted 2008-06-15 11:46 AM

The reality of your poem brings a tear to my eye,
probably becuase I understand it all too well.

You've conveyed the lonliness so well here, sad as it is.

Ray Sharpe
since 2008-05-29
Posts 112
Tenerife
2 posted 2008-06-15 12:09 PM

Oh Deb ....that is so sad and lonely ....I hope you got visitors soon after ...and told of the tree!
By the way ....I am a male ...not the girl in my teddy poem!
hugs
Ray

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
3 posted 2008-06-15 02:19 PM

Beautiful poem, so sad,

thanks

yann

Richy
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 3050

4 posted 2008-06-15 03:12 PM

Oh my god that is so sad.
I just couldn't bear that.

When I'm at that point I'm just going to show up at one of my kid's homes and say, "Hey I'm here, where can I put my things, for the rest of my life?"

I guess I figure they own me a meal or two at that point. Oh yeah, and a roof too lol.

Loved this Owl!
Rich

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
5 posted 2008-06-15 04:02 PM

Diana, now it is I who is "motionless" ~ and speechless!
You set the scene so expertly and effectively, that I felt as though I was literally living that exceptionally sad and lonely moment.

Excellent writing!

Love and a warm hug to you, my friend,
Linda

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
6 posted 2008-06-15 04:06 PM

This brought me to the edge of tears, dear Diana. Solitude so very powerfully expressed. There are so many old people living alone with their memories only ...

Love,
Margherita

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
7 posted 2008-06-16 01:45 AM

Thank you, BluesSerenade.  I am sorry to hear that you "understand" it at all - let alone too well.

Thanks, Ray.  Sorry about the mistake (smiles) - your teddy bear poem just sounded so real for it not to be about you!  We are quits, by the way because I am not Deb (Graeshine), but Diana (Owl)!  Smiles.

Thanks, Yann.  Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks, Richy for the kind words and support.  My daughter hates me and doesn't want me to have anything to do with her or her children (sadly, she doesn't want the relationship to heal because that would spoil her image of being the unloved daughter), but my son loves me, but just doesn't show it as much as I would like.  I have supper at his house every Sunday night and I am the secretary and he is the chairman of our local Sector Policing Forum.  I talk to him on the phone (quite often but verrrrry briefly because of the cost) and we email back and forth about odds and ends quite often, but his family and his life is very demanding and his wife, for some reason or another, doesn't like him visiting me (in spite of the fact that we live less than 3 km apart) and if he is here, she will phone him within 15 minutes to get him home for some or other reason.  He can stand up to her, but is very loyal to both of us (she and I get on reasonably well, and I make a great deal of effort not to argue with her or say anything that would provoke an argument), and she is a stunning cook and often hires animal movies when I am there, and she often sends me animal emails, but other than that she and I don't really communicate more than we have to.

Thank you, Linda and for the kind words and the hugs.

Thanks, Margherita.  I could take the living alone, if only my daughter would love and need me, and my son would need me more.  I am blessed in other ways though with incredible health and boundless energy, but I would love to be able to connect with my son better and to connect at all with my daughter (in Australia) and my darling grandchildren there - when they are with their father (my daughter is divorced for a second time), he sometimes lets them phone me, but it is very expensive from Australia to South Africa and I can't afford to phone them back.

However, I do have a wonderful PIP family!

- Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Motionless

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary