navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » The Interpretation of the Cross
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Interpretation of the Cross Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Brian James
since 2005-06-26
Posts 147
Winnipeg

0 posted 2008-06-15 03:13 AM

The Interpretation of the Cross

If you, our Lord, are to us an example
A beacon to him who grieves
And the one who rebuilds the unbuilt temple
Where we will dine with you among thieves,

Then even I can see
From the foot of this unholy tree
Better when knelt, with the earth at my wrists:
You are a homeless stranger in our midst,
And yet a hiding place for us to flee.

There's nothing more beautiful, you say, than love,
Or the descent of the dove
To the shoulder of the God of the Heavens high
Coming down on earth to abide.
I see now what the cross is speaking of:
The corpse of a man runs from side to side,
And hell is deeper than heaven is high.

© Copyright 2008 Brian James Lee - All Rights Reserved
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
1 posted 2008-06-15 05:50 AM

This is probably, to the best of my recollection, the most superb understanding of what Christ did for us/is for us, that I have ever heard/read.  

It is intensely sensitive and personal, yet universal and a shows a compassionate understanding of Christ, the person, and the person He is for us.  Perfect title too.  

Not a criticism, but there are just two things I am struggling with understanding: RE-building a temple that is UNbuilt in the first place - and I don't follow what you meant by "the corpse of a man running from side to side" - perhaps emphasizing that Christianity is  spreading/has spread as a result of a man (choosing to die) dying on the Cross?  

Beautiful poem!  My favourite part is all of it.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
2 posted 2008-06-15 06:23 AM

Welcome back dear Brian! I somehow remembered your poetic deeds from the past ...
This offering again stirs the reader's mind deeply. The mystery of the Cross is fascinating. To me it is the overcoming of death, the demonstration that the Soul lives on and on, the ultimate act of LOVE ... it's not the corpse but what inhabited the corpse that has spread from side to side and it spreads light within our hearts. And hell grows in size in our lives when we are unable to love or to accept the thought of unconditional divine love and forgiveness.
The tree you mention, makes me think of Judas and he is the one I love most of Jesus' disciples, because he truly loved Jesus and his role brought immense suffering to his soul. When we are unable to walk the Path of Love we go through this same suffering. Love and forgiveness leave no room to hell.
Gosh, this wasn't meant to be a Sunday sermon!!! Just my thoughts, stirred by your thought provoking poem.
Please stay longer this time!!!
Love,
Margherita  

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
3 posted 2008-06-15 01:00 PM

This was deep in thought and a provoking read worth reading over and over again.

I mean to say, I thoroughly enjoyed your interpretation.

Extremely well done, Brain James~

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2008-06-17 07:25 PM

Nice...James
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2008-06-17 07:43 PM

ah...

man..smiling

I exhaled satisfaction here:

"You are a homeless stranger in our midst,
And yet a hiding place for us to flee."

I won't go into the philosophies, since it isn't proper to do so here, but this is just so satisfying.

*wince*

I'm holding back dah fingahs! (can ya tell?)

Great to read you Brian James.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » The Interpretation of the Cross

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary