navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » A Possum Play (for our Owl)
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Possum Play (for our Owl) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2008-06-08 01:37 PM

This one is for you, Diana!

Shadows play tricks upon our eyes,
and what we think, all we surmise
is that which we're accustomed to,
so we assume too much as truth.

The data in our memory bank
sorts and triggers, files and ranks,
decisions instantaneous
are sometimes adventageous--

convenience of laziness
to label difference, craziness.
I know this 'cause I have done that--
I saw a thing, and I thought "cat".

Eating cat food by a door
from a dish that that was for--
at the house I chanced to pass,
the neat one with the well-kept grass

that even had a nice stone path
edged with flowers, a bird bath
proudly claimed the center stage
circled by the proud blue sage.

I slowed my pace to watch "the cat".
He seemed to own his space and that
impressed me as unusual
for cats are wary casual.

But I have a way with them
and so I whispered sweet to him.
"Hello lovely cat," said I.
The possum looked me in the eye.

That stopped me in my tracks, it did.
For possums are not confident.
I'd always thought them ugly too.
But this one changed my point of view.

He walked directly down that path
and turned and walked where I was at--
as if he owned the house and had
just locked the door of his sweet pad.

So I just stood there very still
and watched this rodent of strong will
stand before me, eyes glowing
as if he had some deep knowing.

"Talk to me..." I said to him.
Softly as to not frighten--
"Do you want a rub like this?"
I stooped to pet him--but he hissed.

And yet, he didn't run away.
We stood there for some time that way.
I stared past his needle nose
in wonder of his eyes in glow.

I pondered, what omen was this?
It can't be good--a possum hiss.
I confess I felt some fear--
advice perhaps I should adhere.

I'd never seen such piercing eyes
that were not angry, but resigned
to stand there boldly before me--
he held his ground with dignity.

I nodded then. I understood,
in the times to come I should
do exactly as he'd done
and bravely face what was to come.

What fate remained would be unhid
But I should stand up as he did
and brave the unexpected storms -
and then he left. I had been warned.

So "possum" is my totem now.
A lowly rodent showed me how
to handle obstacles of me--
and oh my friend, there's been many

times I needed to be still
and summon up that possum's will,
assessing all I thought I knew
to seperate the false and true

for friends turned foe and foes saved me--
and playing possum's sanity
when up is down and wrong is right...
The possum taught me well that night.

Yet another 'true serenity story' for you my friend!

Love to all!

© Copyright 2008 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
1 posted 2008-06-08 02:08 PM

Karen,

This is wonderful, charming and a keeper.  I have never seen a Possum until today.

Alison

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2008-06-08 05:43 PM

Oh, Karen, I love it, I love it, I love it!  I truly understand the bond you had with him and that you wrote the poem for me, and called me Dr Doolittle in Knot Tooby You Neek, you have MADE MY DAY!!!

That was a very wise - as well as brave - possum.  Like Alison, I have never seen one either (except in pictures) until I met yours.  

Yes it is strange that one sees what one wants to.  I have seen - for example, a person standing next to an open road with another one sitting down next to him/her and thought it was a horse.  I have often been ready to talk to a cat or a dog as I drive past, and discovered that it was a packet or a rock or a tree stump.  

I loved the background picture of the garden and the door that the possum was at.  I think that one of the reasons that he initially hissed at you is that you thought he was a cat - not that he would have thought that cats were inferior to possums, but cats are not possums, nor possums cats.  Also he may have been a little hurt that you had thought that possums were ugly and realised that it was up to him to change your mind and so he was just being assertive which you possibly mistook (a little) for aggression.  

One of the reasons why he didn't run away - in spite of being brave as well, was that he understood your kitchen-possum-talk and knew that you weren't going to hurt him - also he probably was busy thinking that previously he had thought that all humans were ugly, but had found one that was beautiful.  He probably also thought that you were very brave, not to run away when he hissed.  He would also have recognised that you saw his dignity and was telling you that he appreciated it.  I think that what you mistook for a warning was a possum-to-person-and-back conversation and a friendly lesson well-meant in will power and separating "false from true".  I do so hope he took the "lowly" rodent for being one that doesn't stand very high from the ground.  Otherwise I think you should go back and explain that you didn't mean it in a derogatory way.  However, I know he especially loves your last line, "The possum taught me well that night."

Thank you so very much for my 'true serenity story' written especially for me!

I don't know if I have posted my Conversation With A Baby Zebra Foal And His Mama here or Genetta Tigrina (about a genet), but that sense of rapture as your eyes meet his (in your case with the possum and in mine with the zebra - in the case of the genet who didn't see me, my rapture came from seeing him - and also previously a mongoose - the mongoose was in a poem called My Indigenous Forest Garden which I may or may not have posted here a long time ago).  

This is possumly the most appreciated poem any one has ever had written about him/herself.

- Owl

[This message has been edited by OwlSA (06-08-2008 07:53 PM).]

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2008-06-08 05:52 PM

Your joy is my joy, sweet Owl.

This is possumly my favorite reply ever!

I can learn much from you.

And thank you, Alison, for being ever generous.

Now. Let us all wave our "freak flags", shall we?

gleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 posted 2008-06-08 06:06 PM

Serenity blaze,

This is a lovely poem about a Possum.  One must be careful with friendly Possums, while they are rare, some Possums can have Rabies.  Any animal that acts out of caharacter can be a problem.

Possums are our only marsupial in the west.

Bobby

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
5 posted 2008-06-08 06:21 PM

I love your possum story and the conclusions you have drawn from your encounter.  I have had many meetings with possums.  They are very bold and determined and one could indeed learn lessons from them.  When they wanted food they could tell my cats where to go.  And they did.  Nicely done.  Joyce.  
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
6 posted 2008-06-08 07:57 PM

Giggles and smiles at your lovely possumous reply, Karen.  

- Owl

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
7 posted 2008-06-08 09:04 PM

I love your possum poem, Karen and wrote One about Opossums myself a while back after my cats brought me a baby Opossum and I fed it for a couple of days and then took it to a lady who is part of an organization tha rescues injured Opossums. I didn't know anything much about them but learned a great deal from that incident. I learned that Opossums are not rodents but marsupials.
They may be ugly but they are pretty harmless and provide a valuable service by eating many harmful insects. Actually they are rather facinating creatures as Karen and I have figured out. (By the way my baby opossum turned out fine and was released along with a "little friend" when he was a bit older).

[This message has been edited by Marchmadness (06-09-2008 01:01 AM).]

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
8 posted 2008-06-09 05:02 PM

Thank you so much, Ida, for what you did for your little possum friend.  However, one thing you were wrong about and that is that they are ugly.  I think they are beautiful.  Next time, look at a possum friend through possum eyes and you will see what I mean.  Smiles.

- Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
9 posted 2008-06-09 06:34 PM

Dear Karen, what a fabulously charming story!

Enjoyed it greatly and absorbed not only its beauty but also its wisdom.

Love,
Margherita

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
10 posted 2008-06-09 08:34 PM

The possum did kind of grow on me and looked pretty cute after a while. My granddaughter wanted to keep him.
                            Ida

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2008-06-09 08:53 PM

Now I'm totally embarrassed and confused--because that little cutie looks nothing like the butt-ugly needle-nose rat I met!

and?

is that a sweater it is wearing?

*laughing*

Too cute!

I'd KEEP one of those.

and oh Bobby? While I was "in refuge" in Crowley during that god-awful hurricane season of 05? Nod. We did indeed encounter a raccoon that was...well? Acting funny.

"Rabies." I said to all.

He appeared to be drunk, and was walking to that lean-to-one-side just like a drunk does, and I was like "SHOOT that S.O.B.!!"

I mean, raccoons are quite possibly one of the cutest animals, but I know them as fierce fighters too, and my dawgs were after this one, who wasn't putting up much fight. So there I was, with um, some kind of handgun, because after all the Ballvado of the menfolk with their guns at the camp, none of them seemed willing to put that poor thing out of its misery and us out of danger. So I was running around, threatening to shoot, but unwilling, because the dogs kept getting in the way. So finally, my daughter got the dogs inside, just as the raccoon found shelter...beneath the line of our vehicles.

The guys disarmed me rather quickly when that happened.

Funny how slow men move...until...

well? Sheesh.

But now I'm wondering, what the hell WAS that animal that night?

Because if that picture is a possum? I need a re-write!

Love to you all~with smoochies!

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
12 posted 2008-06-10 04:46 AM

Oh, oh, oh, oh, OH-OH-OH-OH!  Margherita, he is SO beautiful and cute and adorable!  I'm glad you got your eyes sorted out eventually!  Smiles.

Karen, I am glad you didn't shoot the raccoon because he may not have had rabies.  He may have been hit by a car or may have been ill (other than rabies).  I hope he recovered soon.  Please don't rewrite your poem.  I am sure that whoever the little darling was, that he will forgive you for thinking he was a possum.  Perhaps he was, but not very closely related to Margherita's one.  

- Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
13 posted 2008-06-10 05:08 AM

There are different kinds of possums, I'm sure I have seen one with a longer, pointed nose, but right now I can't go look for it ...
hugs
Margherita

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » A Possum Play (for our Owl)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary