navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Motion Lights
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Motion Lights Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California

0 posted 2008-06-02 10:11 PM

I might live alone
but I live in the light.
You can't sneak up on me at night.
I have...
motion lights.
Great invention.
Bug-eyed cats are pretty good too.
Now, all I need is a gun tower
at the corner of my six foot tall
wrought iron fence.
Not that I don't trust
my fellow man
on anything like that.
But I always make sure
to change the bulbs
in my motion lights.
I might live alone
but I live in the light.
You can't sneak up on me at night.

Ida Werrett

© Copyright 2008 Ida Werrett - All Rights Reserved
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
1 posted 2008-06-03 03:31 AM

This poem is my rather strange brand of humor and I hope it is taken that way. I find that I sometimes have to explain myself. That's why I'm not a politician.
                                 Ida

[This message has been edited by Marchmadness (06-03-2008 04:48 PM).]

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2008-06-03 08:17 AM

Love the poem, and I get it, including the humour and the serious side of it and the need to explain oneself!  I had to look twice to see who wrote it because it sounds as though it is about South Africa, not California!  Smiles, Ida.  

- Owl

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 posted 2008-06-03 08:27 AM

Yo Ida,

Funny one—there’s nothing like a good dose of paranoia.

Bobby

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
4 posted 2008-06-03 12:21 PM

Thank you both for your comments. Actally,
(believe it or not) I'm not really paranoid and feel as safe here as I would anywhere. I am just old enough and smart enough to know what's up.
                              Ida

gilead
since 2008-03-10
Posts 1067
nevada, USA
5 posted 2008-06-03 12:27 PM

Call it paranoia, or just a good dose of pragmatic realism, it's a sign of keen intelligence to know what's up! And I might add---to keep your guard up as well!

Art

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
6 posted 2008-06-03 02:44 PM

Ida,

My hood is noted for it's second story men.  There's even been a book written about them.  "Confessions of a Second Story Man--Junior Kripplebauer and the K&A Gang".  They never bother with folks from the hood, cause they know we don't have anything worth taking.  

Instead they go all over the country looking for houses that have gates.  They figure those people have something in their house worth taking.

The books written by Allen M. Hornblum, it's a good read.

Bobby

[This message has been edited by Robert E. Jordan (06-03-2008 07:36 PM).]

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
7 posted 2008-06-03 02:55 PM

I think it's a pretty safe bet that there are no millionaires in my neighborhood but almost everyone has a wrought iron fence to protect their kids, and animals. Nice strong fences also make great neighbors even when you know everybody in town like I do. I have lived in this neighborhood since I was 15 and never had a problem but then I always think ahead too.
                                Ida Werrett

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
8 posted 2008-06-03 03:02 PM

Dear Ida,

Here's the URL for the book.  My youngest boy used to work at a fruit stand on the corner shown in the front cover.  We don't do fences here, we're a rowhouse communnity, we take care of each other.  We do have fenced in back patios here.  

BTW, I don't have anything against millionaires, one of my beloved brother-in-laws is a millionaire.  

Bobby

[This message has been edited by Robert E. Jordan (06-03-2008 05:29 PM).]

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
9 posted 2008-06-03 04:32 PM

The poem is beautiful as always, the iron fences seems a little awkward viewed from my town (it is rather popular)even if there is more violence since ten years, it is mainly in the streets at midnight, I wish the people wouldn't close themselves in their houses but so many things happen nowadays....

have a nice day

yann

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
10 posted 2008-06-03 04:47 PM

Actually this is a very friendly, party kind of neighborhood where the weekends are just one big party and you can drop in almost anywhere for eating, drinking dancing etc. but people still have their fences. I love flowers and work very hard to keep my yard and house looking like I want it to look.
The fence protects my flowers and plants
and is very helpful in maintaining some privacy when I want it. I also often have large parties and family get-togethers where we can just close the large rolling gate and don't have to worry about the little ones getting into the street or wondering off. This is our way of looking out for each other.
                                  Ida

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
11 posted 2008-06-03 05:42 PM

Yo Ida,

I'm not knocking it Hon.

We don't have privacy here, it's just a completely different way of life from yours.  We even get to listen in on family fights through our thin rowhouse walls.

I love this hood, and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I know what up too, and it doesn't bother me.  I seldom lock my doors at night.

Bobby

[This message has been edited by Robert E. Jordan (06-03-2008 08:45 PM).]

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
12 posted 2008-06-04 03:23 AM

I had one of them there things, Ida - but the moose kept turning it on.  Drove the dogs insane.

xoxo
A

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
13 posted 2008-06-04 05:58 PM

Dear Ida, you made me smile with this one. I don't like the darkness either, I love if the street light filters in. Here everybody seems to be in prison actually, even the apartment windows up to the fifth floor have their iron protections ... it's not nice to look at, but people are afraid. I love garden doors and fences, you are right it gives privacy, but it's nice if people passing by can still see the beauty of the gardens.
Lovely flow in this poem!

Love,
Margherita

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
14 posted 2008-06-05 09:07 AM

Dear Ida, not only did I enjoy reading your poem, but I also enjoyed reading the wonderful replies that both you and your readers wrote! I feel like I got to know you all a little bit better ~ and that's a good thang!

We have a carriage lamp on the boulevard, and I like the soft glow from the light. It also gives me a warm, safe feeling.

Love to you, my sweet friend!

Linda xo

sewasham
since 2006-09-11
Posts 714
Oklahoma, USA
15 posted 2008-06-05 09:10 AM

I know the feeling Ida. I enjoy your expressive words. Take care and Have fun. Steve

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
16 posted 2008-06-05 11:29 AM

Thank you Alison, I think I would trust the moose more than some people. I wouldn't mind if they turned on the lights.

Thank you, Margharita, I know you know where I'm coming from. My wrought iron fence is a white lacy looking fence and the flowers hang through it so they are visible and it is actually quite pretty.

Thanks Linda, the lights just help me keep tabs on what is going on and I think it is always good to be aware of your surroundings. I also have a Victorian style lamp in the front yard that is on a timer and comes on at the same time every night. Just makes me feel better.

Appreciate your comment, Stephen.

Ida

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Motion Lights

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary