navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Amo, ergo sum.
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Amo, ergo sum. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
DarkenedOrange
since 2008-04-21
Posts 13

0 posted 2008-05-26 01:38 AM

I sit here dying
One breath closer to my demise.
(Is it morbid to think of these things?)
Our great country can conquer nations
But no one can totally conquer germs.
The sermon is over
And the priests ask all the sick to come forward.
In the line I see an elderly man
He asks the Lord to deliver him not so much from cancer
But from death itself.
(Old age cannot be cured with blessed oil)
(If it would, that would be a true miracle)
Lord, heal me from this cancer.
That way I can die from something else.
I echo the words of scripture:
All is vanity.
What is the point?
Don’t just cure my sickness
Cure sickness itself.
I have faith, because I have to believe in something.
I do believe, but I have unbelief.
Sure all the world could be a product of mindless chance
Maybe I am just a collection of cells
I am not smart enough to know for sure
But, one thing I know
The foundation of my entire universe:
Love is not a mindless chance.
I love the One who is love Itself.
I love, therefore I am.
My love is eternal, therefore I am eternal.
http://darkenedorange.blogspot.com/

© Copyright 2008 Max Bardus - All Rights Reserved
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
1 posted 2008-05-26 03:12 AM

You said it.  Amo, ergo (semper) sum.  

I have often thought (and sometimes said) that I can prove the existence of God in four words - "Look at a butterfly".  The implications prove that only God could have created the world.  

It says somewhere in the Bible (Corinthian II-13 if I remember correctly) that now we look through a glass darkly, but then we will see face to face.  We will understand after death, when we are with Him.  We don't understand the brilliance of God, as children don't understand the wisdom of (some) parents.  

If the poem is autobiographical, I am deeply sorry for the fact that you have cancer.  I pray for your recovery from cancer if that is God's will.  Perhaps your cancer will be contained.  

I know of two people just off the top of my head with a pause of a couple of seconds to think about it, who were regarded as terminally ill from cancer.  One was a child who was at school with my children.  He was diagnosed with a brain tumour which was too dangerous to operate when he was about 10 years old.  He had 5 extremely serious conditions as a result.  I am 62 and my children are in their late thirties and so he must be too - alive and happy and apparently perfectly healthy to anyone who doesn't know - on medication, but lives a perfectly normal happy life.  

The other is a woman who lives around a couple of corners from me.  Her first attack of cancer was about 30 years ago.  Her husband used to have to carry her around.  Her cancer has resumed on several occasions, but it has been contained each time.  She has been an extremely busy and successful estate agent for many, many years, and only retired last year.  

With regard to praying that death may die, think of the alternative.  If there was no death on Earth, I think we would all be praying for death.

Please don't - for your sake - be angry with me and/or think that what follows is simple, easy, logical, compassionless thinking.  I am trying to think myself into your situation (I acknowledge that that is impossible to do perfectly, but I don't try, I will be much further away from doing it) and I am trying to help, even if the result is that you feel worse (which I hope is not the case).  I am very aware that the condition of the mind is more important than that of the body, even though it may not seem like it to somebody who is ill.  

If your cancer is terminal, also think of the alternatives.  I hate to think of the suffering that you are going through, but perhaps it is preferable to being killed instantly in a motor accident when one can't prepare for death.  

I have often said that I wish I could cut off huge chunks of my health and dish it out to anyone who needs it.  

I believe that we all have so many, many gifts (in both senses of the words - presents and talents), but sometimes we need something to happen for us to recognise them.  I often think that my life is extremely tough, until I pause for a moment, and think of what I have, especially compared to some others, and then I realise how blessed I am.  

Have a great sunny (if only internally) day!

- Owl

DarkenedOrange
since 2008-04-21
Posts 13

2 posted 2008-05-26 09:51 AM

Thanks!

I personally do not have cancer, but thanks for the all the encouraging words.

Pope Benedict wrote in his letter on Hope ... "Who would want to live forever in this world?" Our hope is in the world to come.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
3 posted 2008-05-26 12:40 PM

I am very relieved to hear that - I mean about your not having cancer.  Smiles.

- Owl

A Romantic Heart
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-03
Posts 5496
Forever In Your Heart
4 posted 2008-05-27 10:52 PM

very thought provoking and deep!

God Bless!

Below is my favorite of yours!

Ode to Dorian
Her bronze skin radiates the beauty of nature
The fire of her hair
Matches the passion within
Hours of preparation have made this moment possible
Her pale breasts are as white as the greek goddess’ that she represents
Her body is perfect
(Do you know how many sit-ups she had to do for this?)
Finally, his eyes meet the eyes of his lover
They are as dark as his hair
He just cannot stop staring
She tries to get his attention
But his face is stuck to that mirror
No one has beauty like his
Finally she gets his attention
With all virility he presses her naked body to his
Their bodies in tandem, only a second.
Their eyes meet it seems for the first time
He looks right through her
He finds the one he truly loves
In a mere reflection.
~ARH

You know you're in love, when you can't fall asleep,because reality is finally better than your dream~Dr.Seuss

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Amo, ergo sum.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary