navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » The Drought
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Drought Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia

0 posted 2008-05-17 08:28 PM

The drought is here, there is no doubt
The rain is scarce and clouds are dry
The ground is bare, the rivers low
Prayers are sown but fail to grow
As hope begins to die

The once of green near never seen
Days of harvest and its spoil
The overflowing dams and tanks
Days when we forgot our thanks
Just memories as we toil  

I do remember lakes so full
Storage dams with gates that roared
Parkland that was lush and green
More beauty than I’d ever seen
Some days when it just poured

It’s lucky for the memories
For pictures that recall our past
Of how the seasons were back then
I reminisce and see again
The times that didn’t last

For now it’s dry and dusty
And no one sees the end
The dry does seem the season
I’m not so sure the reason
And what’s around the bend?

All I know, there’s been no rain
And now how much we need its call
I’ve prayed before, I’ll pray again
Until the heavens start to rain
The way I did recall

© Copyright 2008 Rick Van Weenen - All Rights Reserved
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
1 posted 2008-05-17 08:35 PM

Well, this is a very sad senario, Rick. It is very hot here today but we did get some rain this winter. We are always teetering on the edge of drought too so I understand where you are coming from. Enjoyed your discriptive picture of the situation.
                               Ida

Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia
2 posted 2008-05-17 09:48 PM

Dear Ida, great to get your reply here my friend and have you visit, a poet is never alone on PIP. Have a great day and take care.
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2008-05-18 04:09 AM

You bring across an image of desolation, I am sorry to hear things are that bad, dear Rick.

Powerfully rendered message. May it reach the heavens and induce the skies to bring their gift of life in form of rain.

Blessings.

Love,
Margherita

Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia
4 posted 2008-05-18 04:41 AM

Margherita, it has been very dry my friend, we had just a little this weekend, but Aussie land needs a lot more to get us through, thanks for the visit and comment, as always nice to see you here.

Rick

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
5 posted 2008-05-18 07:43 AM

Dear Rick, a drought is utterly dreadful ~ and you have most assuredly given your readers a vivid sense of what it must be like.

May rain come again and bring the land back to life.

With love,
Linda

Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia
6 posted 2008-05-18 03:25 PM

Dear Linda, great to have you visit and comment here my friend, thank you so much, we do need so much rain and only so little comes, Nature holds the upper hand, we can only pray and be happy with what we recieve. Have a wonderful day Linda and take care.

Rick

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
7 posted 2008-05-24 02:11 AM

Rick,

I do so hope that your prayers are answered and will send off a few of my own.  Wonderful writing.

Alison

Richy
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 3050

8 posted 2008-05-24 04:03 PM

Dear Rick, how have you been old friend?
Please forgive me for not coming by earlier to say hi, I have been away for some time, and have been back for only a short while now. Reading your poem reminded me how much I enjoyed your writing as well as your fellowship. You have always been such a kind soul, and a true gentleman, and I applaud you for that.

So sorry to hear about your homeland going through such a dry spell. Here in California we too just experienced the driest March since they have been keeping such records. And with, the population growing and, the earth’s climate change getting warmer, it seems like it is only going to get worse, before it gets any better. It’s so sad that something as vital and elemental as water now becoming a true scarcity. Be well my good friend, I will be hoping for the best, for you and your’s.

Sincerely,
Rich

Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia
9 posted 2008-05-25 02:40 AM

Dear Alison, great to have you reply my friend, thanks for the prayers and the visit, they are always very much enjoyed.

Rich, great to have you visit me here my friend, time goes by so quickly, don't get much time to write of late, don't know why but life is getting busier all the time, I truly appreciate your reply here, it was very warming and full of friendship, thank you for that.

To your both my friends, again thank you.

Sincerely
Rick

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » The Drought

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary