navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Freddie the Martian (Part 1)...
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Freddie the Martian (Part 1)... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
simon
since 2008-01-14
Posts 440
London, England

0 posted 2008-03-14 12:08 PM

When Freddie the Martian first crashed to ground
he couldn't wait to look round
this planet he'd found.

Because he'd never been to a place that was
greener or wetter or weedier. All in one glorius big mixture.
It was just like the picture he'd seen, marked 'Earth', in his Space Encyclopedia.

He knew the firdt thing he'd have to do in order to be viewed upon as something of a 'succeeder'.
He was told his first task, would be to grab someone and ask, 'To be taken to their leader.'

But there were no leaders to be found around, 'cause they were busy organising war. (He thought it best not to mention that he'd seen this same sorry situarion, somewhere else before,)
And again, it all seemed a little bit insane, because no-one could explain exactly what the fight was for.

It was all quite an alien concept to Fred, it sailed clean over his head, he had to admit. So he clambered atop the nearest pulpit, to talk to all the people instead.

And he said, 'Ladies, Gents I want to spread the news. You all live in a democracy. But nobody listens to your views...'

TBC

© Copyright 2008 Simon parr - All Rights Reserved
effjayel
since 2007-09-30
Posts 1474
At the Crossroads of Infinity
1 posted 2008-03-14 12:29 PM

You mean to tell me I married a Martian? That would explain a lot, except maybe these little green spots........
gilead
since 2008-03-10
Posts 1067
nevada, USA
2 posted 2008-03-14 12:51 PM

Very well done, Simon, and very cleverly crafted. The humor is not overshadowed by the profound truth the poem conveys.

Art

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
3 posted 2008-03-14 12:55 PM

Some of my fellow earthlings have definately mixed with those from Mars and Venus...James
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
4 posted 2008-03-16 11:55 AM

Now, I love this Freddie the Martian, dear Simon. Wish we could really hear wisdom speak from a pulpit!

Great write!

Love,
Margherita

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
5 posted 2008-03-16 12:31 PM

Freddy should have been taken to our leader "Ron". He would have welcomed him in to our peaceful pip home where harmony reigns supreme.

Simon, I am now off to read the continuation!

Linda

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Freddie the Martian (Part 1)...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary