navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #41 » Giving Without Remembering, Taking Without Forgetting
Open Poetry #41
Post A Reply Post New Topic Giving Without Remembering, Taking Without Forgetting Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon

0 posted 2007-12-24 01:44 PM

(Often during the holiday season, I promote the idea of alternative gift-giving. There are many young children and families out there who still are counting on a miracle this holiday season, and YOU can be that very miracle, and it's NEVER too late to make that miracle happen if you always believe in it!

The cost of an average 30 minute massage, in fact, can nurture and plant 60 trees. The cost of an average baseball cap by retail value ($15) can pay for monthly food & vitamin supplements for 4 People Living With Aids ($33 can provide home nursing care visits for 10 patients). And the cost of one month's cable television currently, give or take ($86) provides the average first loan to a Malawi woman.

Am I asking you all to stop cheering on your home team or give up your favorite shows on cable? Of course not. All I'm suggesting is, when you put this all into perspective, there are so many little wonders behind such little donations that we often fail to imagine. I think often we're left feeling as though only huge sums of money from multi-millionaire philanthropists like Bob Geldof and Bill Gates can make a difference for struggling communities in the developing world, but the fact is, every little bit helps, and YOU TOO can BE the miracle!

My philosophy is like that of American science-fiction author Robert Anson Heinlein, who officially coined the phrase "pay it forward" in its modern usage in his 1951 publication "Between Planets":

"The banker reached into the folds of his gown, pulled out a single credit note. 'But eat first — a full belly steadies the judgment. Do me the honor of accepting this as our welcome to the newcomer.'

His pride said no; his stomach said YES! Don took it and said, 'Uh, thanks! That's awfully kind of you. I'll pay it back, first chance.'

'Instead, pay it forward to some other brother who needs it.'"

The Heinlein Society (Official Web-Site)

Heinlein went on to profess this philosophy throughout his life by forming the Heinlein Society, a humanitarian organization which, among other things, promotes "annual Heinlein blood drives" and "award scholarships and grants to worthy young people." Others have went on to carry this magnanimous torch with him, and a book and a 2000 film centered around the concept have since been made as well.

What I'm asking others to do is to pass on this gift, the gift of human kindness, as I absolutely believe one gift can generate a ripple effect that can empower entire communities worldwide, as they lift themselves out of the many adversities they confront daily in life.

If you would like more information on how you can contribute and help bring a smile to the face of one in need, visit Heifer International's official web-site, Vetaid's official web-site, or Google "Alternative Gift-Giving" and you will find dozens of other great sites as well, yay!

God Bless You All........and Merry Christmas!)

Giving Without Remembering, Taking Without Forgetting
By: Noah Eaton
12/23/05

What if there were no holly tree,
that could nestle you from life's debris,
no camel coerced to cross the wide desert,
with no hump to quell the insatiable thirst,
what if you refused to go out one frigid night,
only to wake to see opportunity glide away like a kite...

…only to be left peering every young face, just to find...
…what if I was forgiven only to forget,
found any resolve dissolve like a vignette,
what if forgiveness came wrapped in an excuse,
with no golden truth or higher self suffused,

…only to be left peering every young face, just to invite...
By lighting another candle, a candle loses nothing,
cast a shadow, gaze upon animations of blessings,
for where your treasure is, there your heart will be,
oh, you will gain ever more when you keep giving freely,
giving without remembering,
taking without forgetting...
The best gift I could ever give,
would be for you to stare into my eyes,
and show you that you live,
no two snowflakes could ever be the same,
that's how I recognize the face within every miracle made,

…only to be left peering every young face, just to invite...

oh, you will gain ever more when you keep giving freely,

righteousness will tinkle like silver bells in the city,

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

© Copyright 2007 Nadia Lockheart - All Rights Reserved
wandering glider
since 2001-04-04
Posts 501
aloft
1 posted 2007-12-24 03:00 PM

Or, turn off the internet.
You have a neighbor in need
of something you can give.
I am sure of it.

Thanks, Noah, for reminding us.

~glider~

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
2 posted 2007-12-28 02:23 AM

Thanks Noah...you are truly a man of empathy and compassion...and thats good...James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #41 » Giving Without Remembering, Taking Without Forgetting

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary