navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #41 » no spoons
Open Poetry #41
Post A Reply Post New Topic no spoons Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Misty Lilacs
since 2005-11-15
Posts 1060
White Birch Forest

0 posted 2007-12-11 11:16 AM

no spoons*

no spoons left today
black crows head for the mountains
I try to count them

*Spoons are my code word for what a person, me, living with MS can or cannot do. I start the day with a handful of spoons. Every action, large or small takes away a spoon. It is imperative that I conserve and spread out my spoons because when my “spoons” are gone, they are gone. Sometimes I can borrow against tomorrow’s "spoons", but then tomorrow will be harder with less "spoons.” When other people can simply do things, I have to attack it and make a plan like I am strategizing a war. I have been forced to think about everything I do. It is the difference between having MS and being healthy. It is a beautiful gift to not think and just do. A gift not to be taken for granted. I miss that freedom; that gift. I miss never having to count "spoons."

© Copyright 2007 Misty Lilacs - All Rights Reserved
TinaTrivett
since 2006-07-15
Posts 569

1 posted 2007-12-11 11:38 AM

Misty, I use the spoon theory too about my Fibromyalgia. Definitely have to count my spoons.

I'll lend you one of mine. ((hugs))

Misty Lilacs
since 2005-11-15
Posts 1060
White Birch Forest
2 posted 2007-12-11 12:13 PM

Tina - thank you for your reply. Maybe we can share our spoons and get something accomplished! This time of year is extremely difficult for me and I'm doubly sure for you. I'm borrowing spoons into next Feb!!!
So much to do, so few spoons!!!
You take care ... hugs, Marti

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
3 posted 2007-12-11 12:19 PM

Dear Marti, it breaks my heart that you have to endure such trials. However, your radiant Light shows in spite of them!
Here are some wooden spoons made of maple ~ the tree of offering and giving of one’s self so that others may benefit.

No job is too big for these strong and sturdy beauties!

Linda

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
4 posted 2007-12-11 02:53 PM

Hi Marti, I understand about the spoons. I'm counting some myself. I would offer you some strength and energy if I had any but I'm just trying to get through the holidays too. You're so right, people should never take good health for granted. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in this lovely way.
                          Hugs (ouch) Ida

Just another Pete
since 2007-12-06
Posts 74
Scotland
5 posted 2007-12-11 02:58 PM

I had never heard of spoon theory till I read your poem, having googled and read I hope I understand a little more now, but however little, thankyou for the insight. Have a happy Christmas.
Pete.

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
6 posted 2007-12-11 03:29 PM

I am eating pudding with a spoon right now!

lol

ARCTIC WIND

Ceinwyn
Member Elite
since 2000-07-09
Posts 2175
VA
7 posted 2007-12-11 04:44 PM

Your strength shows.   I know I don't know you and I hope you take this as sincere, you are in my prayers and thoughts.  I will not claim to know what you are talking about, But it does bother me how people take a lot of things for granted.  Nobody really understands that what we are given is precious. The best to you. Love to you.  

If at first you don't succeed destroy all the evidence that you tried.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #41 » no spoons

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary