navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #41 » Carnal Sins . . . (2nd poem inspired by Waterhouse painting)
Open Poetry #41
Post A Reply Post New Topic Carnal Sins . . . (2nd poem inspired by Waterhouse painting) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light

0 posted 2007-12-10 06:53 PM

Artist: John William Waterhouse

Carnal Sins
by Linda L. Dowd

From mid of nite ‘til dawning morrow,
Alone stoodst I, in weeping sorrow.
Upon a hill laid bare by winds,
~ Wracked by guilt of carnal sins.

With cloak of shame wrapped ‘round me tight,
I felt bone chill of moonless night.
Alone atop that barren tor,
~ Wanting to be never more.

I knew ‘twas wrong ~ but mine flesh be weak,
Protesting not ~ for I couldst not speak.
Yielding to his uttering,
~ My heart beat in fluttering.

Burning passion in his limpid eyes,
Stirred glowing embers to flame arise.
I rode a wave of carnal bliss,
~ Sealed by mine lover’s kiss.

I be not free to love another,
For I didst have mine wedded lover.
Yet stirrings I’d not knownst before,
~ Opened up forbidden door.

From mid of nite ‘til dawning morrow,
Alone stoodst I, in weeping sorrow.
Upon a hill laid bare by winds,
~ Wracked by guilt of carnal sins.

[This message has been edited by Earth Angel (12-10-2007 08:23 PM).]

© Copyright 2007 Linda L. Dowd - All Rights Reserved
Ceinwyn
Member Elite
since 2000-07-09
Posts 2175
VA
1 posted 2007-12-10 07:09 PM

Reminds me of 'The Highwayman' Loreena McKennit... You should record this one.  I'd love to hear it   You've got some kind of magic going on over there to send me chills a gazillion miles away!

If at first you don't succeed destroy all the evidence that you tried.

Interloper
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
2 posted 2007-12-10 07:19 PM

Beautifully done ...
(and I'm gonna tell)

Poet, said my Muse to me, look in thy heart and write.

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
3 posted 2007-12-10 07:21 PM

Ceinwyn ~

Hi, Kris!

This is now the second poem that I have written that has been inspired by that painting. The first one being "Cloak of Midnite Raven" that I posted a few weeks ago. Actually, I had always loved that painting and I believe that when I wrote "Cloak" I was drawing from my memories of that painting. When I then went looking for a painting to accompany that poem, I re-discovered "The Tempest" and it fit perfectly. Some paintings can have such a profound affect on you that they stay with you in the back recesses of your mind and can become a part of one's writing.

"You've got some kind of magic going on over there to send me chills a gazillion miles away!" ~ I've never gotten a response like that before! lol ~ and I like it!

I love Lorena McKennit's music as well! It stirs my blood and calls me to my ancestral home!  

Sending a hug-o-love your way,

Linda

[This message has been edited by Earth Angel (12-12-2007 12:00 PM).]

Ceinwyn
Member Elite
since 2000-07-09
Posts 2175
VA
4 posted 2007-12-10 07:25 PM

I totally have to dig up that poem.  And yeah I'm told I have a special tactful way with telling people my feelings..lol.  I'm feeling silly today..hmm I didn't have sugar! I even wrote a silly love poem. Is there a full moon?

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
5 posted 2007-12-10 08:02 PM

Interloper ~

I believe you when you say that you "won't tell". ~ If you can't trust your 'doctor love', who can you trust?!?

:hugs;
Linda

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
6 posted 2007-12-10 08:05 PM

Ceinwyn ~

"Silly" looks good on you! Mind you, you also have a bit of mischief going on this evening! Now I have 2 poems up with the same painting that was a source of inspiration for both of them! lol

Loves 'n laughs,

Linda

Ceinwyn
Member Elite
since 2000-07-09
Posts 2175
VA
7 posted 2007-12-10 08:52 PM

I'm like Tinkerbell full of mischief Ok so maybe you caught me there...this little Tinkerbell is going to send someone the silly love poem ...*making kissy noises* lol ok if that doesn't get the troll out from under the bridge then I'll dangle a billy goat in front of him! Divine intervention *teehee* Oh an Idea you should write a fairy tale poem! That'd be awesome!

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
8 posted 2007-12-11 01:01 AM

Ceinwyn a.k.a. Tinkerbell ~

I love fairy tales myself ~ and have written several of them. However, I have not penned one in quite some time. Perhaps I will take your suggestion and run with it sometime soon.

Linda

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
9 posted 2007-12-11 02:06 AM

Brava, m'lady, another fabulous poem and different interpretation on that same fabulous painting -- both interpretations equally valid, I think.  Anywayie Daisy, like I've said before, there is nothing you can't write!  KBHBLY!!....lily jo
Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia
10 posted 2007-12-12 01:35 AM

Dear Linda, very much enjoyed this my friend, amazing what a picture can do to our minds and what it can create, very well done.

Rick

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
11 posted 2007-12-12 10:51 AM

iliana ~

Greetings and salutations, lily jo!

I usually write a poem and then go searching for the perfect painting to complememt it. However, when it came to this painting, "The Tempest", it was inspired by the art. Although I was not consciously aware of that while I was writing "Cloak of Midnite Raven". It wasn't until I was searching for a painting for that poem that I re-discovered "The Tempest" and realized that that had been the source of my inspiration. I have been haunted by that painting since I first saw it earlier this year.

I am pleased that you enjoyed both of my poetic interpretations of Waterhouse's masterpiece!

Big hug of love,

Linda

[This message has been edited by Earth Angel (12-12-2007 12:01 PM).]

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
12 posted 2007-12-12 10:57 AM

Rick ~

Hi, there! It was an interesting exercise to poetically interpret a painting instead of selecting a painting to accompany a poem of mine.  

Love to you, m'friend from the Land Down Under!

Linda

[This message has been edited by Earth Angel (12-12-2007 12:04 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #41 » Carnal Sins . . . (2nd poem inspired by Waterhouse painting)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary