navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #40 » Celtic(Eternitys) Knot Claddagh ring
Open Poetry #40
Post A Reply Post New Topic Celtic(Eternitys) Knot Claddagh ring Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Nightingale
since 2007-06-21
Posts 31
Depths of The Unkown, UK

0 posted 2007-06-28 03:23 PM

Lovers bands,
slip unto hands,
eternities circle,

Celtic love knots,
tie and bind,
the hearts,

Ancient history,
of lovers past,
bonds to last,

Hands on heart,
friendship with love,
the rings of Claddagh.

Some tidbits of information, I wish to share:

Story of the Claddagh Legend

Irish, Celtic, Scottish, Claddagh, Clauddagh, Claddaugh, Claddah, Gaelic, Highlander or Clannish jewelry are some of the most popular in the world! Especially on Saint Patrick's Day! Everyone wants to be Irish and wear irish jewelry. That means you wear green or orange depending on where you are from...

This unique claddagh jewelry design symbolizes "Love in the form of the heart, the hands of friendship cradling it, and the crown of fidelity." This motif is explained in the phrase "Let Love and Friendship Reign", making it ideal for a wedding ring used by a small community for over 400 years.

The Claddagh is a unique and distinctive Irish love symbol. The traditional Claddagh jewelry or friendship ring is worn by both men and women all over Ireland and is probably the most widely known of Irish jewelry designs. The Claddagh Ring became popular outside the Claddagh about the middle of the last century, especially as it was the only ring made in Ireland worn by Queen Victoria and later by Queen Alexandra and King Edward VII.

This design, that of the heart held between two hands, with a crown on the top is reputed to be of a tradition handed down for many generations in the Irish fishing village of Clauddagh, adjacent to the city walls of Galway. Traditionally this ring was an heirloom of the family, handed down firstly as an engagement ring, then as a wedding ring.

The Claddagh, outside the City walls, and further separated by the River Corrib, was an exclusive community of fisher-folk forbidden to use spade or hoe and ruled by a periodically-elected "King" whose sole distinguishing mark was his right to use a white sail on his fishing boat.

There are many legends as to the origin of the Ring, the most likely is the story of Richard Joyce, or Ioyes. While en route to the West Indies, he was captured by Algerian corsairs and sold as a slave to a Moorish goldsmith who trained him. Later at the demand of King William III of England he was released, he returned to Galway and set up as a goldsmith. He marked his work with an anchor signifying 'hope' and the initials R.I.

A form of this design (without the crown) was uncovered in a sunken Spanish galleon, divers having found it on the hand of a sailor of the unlucky ship foundered on the Irish coastline centuries ago. Inscribed on the inside was the saying in Spanish: "No tengo nada, porque darte." Roughly this translates to: 'I have nothing, for it is given unto you. ' Some say that the crown was added much later to this traditional style by none other than Queen Elizabeth.

© Copyright 2007 Rachel Carlson - All Rights Reserved
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
1 posted 2007-06-28 04:22 PM

Very beautifully expressed.
My daughter married a man from Wales
and they exchanged Claddagh rings.
Thank you for sharing the added information as well.

WELCOME TO PASSIONS! Hugs~Nancy

~ Trace my body with your words,
  in doing so, you touch my heart ~

adagio
since 2005-03-19
Posts 449
Marrero, La.
2 posted 2007-06-28 05:00 PM

Wonderfull writing and nice photo
hope to see more
adagio

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
3 posted 2007-06-28 05:05 PM

beautiful.

welcome to PIP the wonderful place of dream.

Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
4 posted 2007-06-29 08:05 AM

Hello and welcome! enjoyed your writings and explanation... well done.. RDB

Be kind at heart....for everyone you meet has their own battle to fight.........

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
5 posted 2007-06-29 10:31 AM

Hi, there! Welcome aboard the PiP Ship!
I enjoyed your poem and the accompanying info. If you don't mind, I'd like to print this post for my daughters. I have gifted them each with a Claddagh ring.

Giving you a warm, welcoming hug ~ and sending Irish blessings your way,

Earth Angel

Nightingale
since 2007-06-21
Posts 31
Depths of The Unkown, UK
6 posted 2007-06-29 02:18 PM

Ah, me heart is warmed.
I feel at home here,
been looking for a place
i could express myself freely.

My gratitude to all!

Nightingale
since 2007-06-21
Posts 31
Depths of The Unkown, UK
7 posted 2007-06-29 02:20 PM

just one question,
where do you get
one of those
butterflies or
pictures to go
with your name?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #40 » Celtic(Eternitys) Knot Claddagh ring

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary