navwin » Main Forums » Corner Pub #3 » The Hen House Caper
Corner Pub #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Hen House Caper Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA

0 posted 2007-02-27 06:48 PM

The Hen House Caper

When I was young, one job I'd dread,
Was going to the chicken shed,
With basket on my arm, to find
Eggs the hens had left behind.
Unfortunately, there were a few
Contrary ones who always knew
When I was coming, so they'd stay
And try to keep the eggs they'd lay.
I'd reach a trembling hand and get
A wicked peck I'd not forget!

I thought about it quite a lot.
Decided that the fear I fought
Was most unsuitable so I
Devised a plan that I could try.
Next day I went in waving round
Some willow branches I had found
And yelling like a wild banshee.
Those hens took just one look at me
And scattered, clucking, out the door.
I had no trouble any more!
But I can still hear my aunt say:
"I wonder why those hens don't lay
The way they used to? They're well fed.
Perhaps I'll get some geese instead!"

Betty Lou Hebert

© Copyright 2007 Betty Lou Hebert - All Rights Reserved
aziza
Member Elite
since 2006-07-09
Posts 2995
Lumpy Oatmeal makes me Crazy!
1 posted 2007-02-28 01:53 AM

This is so clever and funny -- and true.  I never liked gathering the eggs and still am not fond of going to my friends when the chickens are wandering around the yard.  I think they know I am afraid -- and they become a Chicken Gang.  It's not a pretty sight.  I may try the willow branch.

Alison

Beasley
since 2003-11-28
Posts 682
Cheboygan,MI USA
2 posted 2007-02-28 06:25 AM

You bring such delight into the lives of people like me. The only chicken I've known has been in a package and it already puts it's eggs in a carton on the other side of the store.
love, Barb

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
3 posted 2007-02-28 09:59 AM

This I like.  I remember chickens.  I don't recall having to gather the eggs but I was always ready for a nice fried chicken dinner.
Joyce

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
4 posted 2007-02-28 03:30 PM

aziza:  Thanks for your comments and I'm glad it brought you a smile!  I did get over my fear of chickens, but I sure hated plucking them when that time came!

Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Trillium
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
5 posted 2007-02-28 03:31 PM

Dear Barb:  Thank you so much! I guess I was lucky(?) to have the association with chickens that I did.  I found later on in my childhood there were worse things than gathering their eggs. Plucking!!

Love
Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Trillium
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
6 posted 2007-02-28 03:34 PM

Dear Joyce:  On the farm, everyone was supposed to do something! Even if it was just scattering chicken feed. I did things I never thought I could and suffered through every moment!  I used to hide in the woods on butchering day! I always paid for it when I finally came back, but that didn't stop me.

Love
Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
7 posted 2007-03-01 02:03 PM

BettyLou~
I did my share of gathering the eggs with my great, great grandmother ... we feed those chickens, gathered the eggs and Grandmother had a 'deal' with Grandpa ... we did the feeding, the gathering and the cooking ... AFTER he did the ring-the-neck-thing and plucked and cleaned 'em~

Grandmother held him to their bargain after she told him if he didn't clean 'em ... he could darned well COOK 'em ... after ONE disastrous meal ... Grandpa figured he knew a bargain when he heard one !!!

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -             noles1@totcon.com

Trillium
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
8 posted 2007-03-01 04:32 PM

Dear Marge:  You know what I am talking about!  I was forced into cleaning a chicken..........once!  Everyone including me was sorry!

Love
Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
9 posted 2007-03-01 05:34 PM

I never cleaned chickens before I had left my childhood home but did that job when my husband and I decided to raise some for the freezer.  However, no one could have gotten me to kill or pluck them.  I remember when Daddy doused them in a bucket of hot water to loosen the feathers.  The smell was sickening.  Joyce
Trillium
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
10 posted 2007-03-01 08:19 PM

Dear Joyce:  I can smell those chicken yet!
Thanks for reading and I always enjoy hearing from you!

Love
Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Corner Pub #3 » The Hen House Caper

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary