navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #8 » All Around The Gallows/ whats life without regret
Teen Poetry #8
Post A Reply Post New Topic All Around The Gallows/ whats life without regret Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Clockwork_Orange
since 2007-03-23
Posts 620
Space Camp, IN

0 posted 2008-01-18 02:02 PM

all around the gallows
these people come to judge
they are lost inside the war
that rages hate and love

holding back all feeling
every face is carved in stone
and you know the sad truth is
every man stands alone

lost in the darkness
this tempest still rages strong
it lives in every one of us
a constant battle of right and wrong

so here we are at gunpoint
a noose around our necks
every face is carved in stone
what is a life without regret

[This message has been edited by Clockwork_Orange (01-18-2008 05:37 PM).]

© Copyright 2008 Bryan Lucas - All Rights Reserved
RenaissanceRomanceRunsRed
since 2007-06-11
Posts 1062
In Love <3
1 posted 2008-01-18 05:30 PM

wow, i got shivers. it was an incredible peice by you- and the song that i'm listening to (lighthouse by the hush sound) totally made the atmosphere all ghostly. oohh it was thrilling.

-Kate

and in the daylight i miss the nightmare- but deathly fear it in the dark of night

RevengeIsMine
since 2006-07-08
Posts 820
Australia
2 posted 2008-01-18 10:55 PM

Always loved ur work n u know it.. missed our chats and our friendship lets hope there is something left to salvige...

Love and light...
Jessica

Jaki H
since 2008-01-19
Posts 232
NJ, USA
3 posted 2008-01-19 05:46 PM

wow... really amazing! almost every word is so powerful!
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

4 posted 2008-01-20 05:13 AM

Dear Mr. Orange,

I enjoyed your piece a great deal.  There was a 15th century French poet, Francois Villon, who spent a time in jail when jail was very tough indeed, and who legend has it, was hung.  He was also a graduate student at the Sorbonne and may have been considering taking holy orders.  A lot of university education went that way back then.

He has one poem with a line in it about  watching out "for the hangman's dirty paws."  A lot of his stuff has never been translated because it was written in criminal slang, sort of like super gangster rap on steroids with a bad attitude and a hangover combined.  People just can't quite figure the language out.

A few of his ballades have made it and two longer poems, which are phoney wills in which he leaves gag legacies to friends and enemies.  The humor is very very dark.  The ballades are more accessable.  Galway Kinnell has translated a bunch of them.  I don't know if you're up for that sort of stuff, and I don't know if it's too much of an acquired taste, but your work and his have some interesting stuff in common.

The French is enough to give French scholars nightmares.  Even a lot of translators are halfway guessing.  Some of the fun for you might be guessing between the lines.  Yours is interesting.  Keep at it, read your friends and the stuff other poets are writing now.  It'll keep your head clear.

Best wishes, BobK

rebelangelv
since 2007-05-28
Posts 538
usa
5 posted 2008-01-21 12:21 PM

man i loved it. my fav from u so far going in the library also

If i had to choose between you and breathing, id use my last breath to say "I love you"  

hunnie_girl
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-06-18
Posts 2567
Canada
6 posted 2008-01-21 01:21 AM

Wow I have known you for a long long time I think i've known u longer than everyone!!!! been here with u frum the beginning Aand i'd have to say you always were my fav poet.. back then and now your poems are so much better great job
Krysti

fromme2U
since 2007-11-09
Posts 257

7 posted 2008-01-21 12:38 PM

Amazing!! you are now my favorite poet I have read a lot of your stuff and you amaze me everytime..great great job!
rebel~angel
since 2006-06-20
Posts 71
Iowa USA
8 posted 2008-01-21 11:40 PM

i have to say, that was absolutely amazing.  I really loved it!

Remember:Tuck your chin, you're going to get hurt, so expect it and be ready. You might as well see it coming.
-Elizabeth Haydon, Requiem for the Sun

Earl Robertson
since 2008-01-21
Posts 753
BC, Canada
9 posted 2008-01-22 12:13 PM

Amazing poem (shudders) If I wasn't so tired I'd start up a philosophical debate on this. (or somthing like that) But I am so I'll just say
Great work!

Yay!!! um...he he

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #8 » All Around The Gallows/ whats life without regret

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary