navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Jumble Ice in Living Color
Open Poetry #44
Post A Reply Post New Topic Jumble Ice in Living Color Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!

0 posted 2009-05-23 10:21 AM

Surging beneath windows
Pushing at doors
Demanding entrance
Destroying dreams
Jumble ice nightmares
Cannot be contained

-

Alison

-

Jumble Ice:  Jumble ice is a phenomenon that occurs when ice atop a river or other flowing body of water fractures due to the different flow rates beneath the ice. On a lake, pond, or other stationary body of water, ice forms undisturbed and generally does not move as long as the entire surface of the body of water is frozen. When a river freezes, water flow typically continues beneath the ice, exerting pressure on it. If the ice fractures, pieces of ice torn free by the river's current will collide with stationary or slower-moving pieces. After becoming stuck in place, the loosened pieces of ice refreeze irregularly, causing a rough, or jumbled, surface.

(Wikipedia)

Jumble ice formed this spring in the Yukon River (the Yukon is 2,300 miles long and runs through Alaska and Canada).  The pictures below are of a small town (village in Alaska) called Eagle.  Eagle is very close to the Canadian border and is a historic town.  It was destroyed by the ice and high water this year.  You can see the ice covering houses in the pictures.  Other villages were also impacted and some on the lower Yukon continue to battle high water.  Flooding is not uncommon anywhere, but the jumble ice does add another aspect to a nightmare - it filled my dreams last night to the point that I just got up and wrote.

Thank you for reading and I apologize for the lecture style of this presentation.

Photo By:  Clint McElfish

Photo By:  Carl Stapler, NPS

© Copyright 2009 Alison - All Rights Reserved
Osprey
since 2009-04-12
Posts 249

1 posted 2009-05-23 10:38 AM

Now that I understand jumble ice, that is one, grand metaphor.
Rex
since 2000-06-29
Posts 482
Houston, Texas
2 posted 2009-05-23 11:36 AM

As I was not aware of "jumbo" ice I found this interesting and very well done.

Regards.

Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
3 posted 2009-05-23 11:52 AM

Thank you, Alison, for the explanation.  I live too far away from ice to ever have heard about jumble ice.  The pictures are most impressive but although I literally wilt in the heat I wouldn't want to be there.  I guess no kind of nightmare can ever be contained - some things have a will of their own and no one ever said that the will of rivers and men must be reasonable, did they?
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
4 posted 2009-05-23 11:58 AM

This is quite scary, dear Alison. Hopefully the temperature will rise so that the ice melts quickly ...

Interesting! And very powerful, I can almost hear the cracking ... of the ice and the things it meets.

Love and hugs.
Margherita

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
5 posted 2009-05-23 12:51 PM

Wow! The power of Nature! ~ and the power of our little Alaskan Ali's words!

I truly appreciate all your posts in which you share the majesty and natural wonders of your state!

Loveya Ali Girl,

Linda

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
6 posted 2009-05-23 02:32 PM

Thank you, Osprey.

Alison

-

Glad that you found this interesting, Rex.  Thank you for replying.

Alison

-

Helen,

Nightmares come in their own colors and flavors, don't they.  Kind of like Baskin & Robbins.

Alison

-

Thank you, Margherita, for reading.  I do so appreciate you.

Love,
Alison

-

Linda,

Thank you.  I just write about what I feel close to.  Nature is part of who I am.

Love you,
Alison

PS - I am going to add more of an explanation to the original post.

xoxoxo

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
7 posted 2009-06-09 01:31 PM

My nightmares are of painful rain and howling winds... and the sounds of my home falling apart around me... Some books describe hell as hot, others as freezing cold. *sigh*

My thoughts and prayers are with those suffering... either the destruction or the nightmares. *S*

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
8 posted 2009-06-10 04:41 PM

Wow! I learn so much on this site. Thank you Alison.
                          Ida

LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
9 posted 2009-06-10 09:50 PM

Dear Alison, thank you so much for explaining this very interesting phenominum,
(I hope that's spelt correctly) as we don't have ice in our rivers over here. We are lucky to have water in some of them half the time. Thanks for the pictures, what an aweinspiring sight they are. much enjoyed.
Love to you dear lady.

Lindsay

Alison
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
10 posted 2009-06-11 02:12 AM

suthern dahlink,

Thank you.  I heard a few days ago that the villagers are still trying to get the chunks of ice moved.  Yep, sometimes I am just grateful of where I live.

Alison

-

Ida,

I have missed you and hope you are feeling better.  Thank you for stopping in.

Love,
Alison

-

Lindsay,

Thank you for dropping by, reading and sharing information.  It's an amazing world that we live in.

Hugs to you.
Alison

TinaTrivett
since 2006-07-15
Posts 569

11 posted 2009-06-12 10:10 AM

Demanding entrance indeed. Wow, that is scary.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Jumble Ice in Living Color

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary