navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Sugar
Open Poetry #44
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sugar Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams

0 posted 2009-04-16 02:15 AM

Sugar

Our love was like the snow:
The cold air numbed our chests
Until our frozen hearts
Could no longer beat on

Spring came and we melted

We made sugar in fields
And evaporated

Juju

-Juju

-"So you found a girl
Who thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts " Silent all these Years, Tori Amos

© Copyright 2009 Juju - All Rights Reserved
exhale
since 2003-06-13
Posts 646
Alberta,Canada
1 posted 2009-04-16 04:05 AM

"Spring came and we melted"
Love this!

You know, I was being a creeper a going through a lot of your old poems and it's just amazing the growth all of us have gone through. You were amazing then, you're amazing now, and you will continue to be that way.
Never change, or I guess, continue to change

Chelsea

Pilgrimage
Member Elite
since 2001-12-04
Posts 3945
Texas, USA
2 posted 2009-04-16 11:14 AM

This is as light as vanilla, it evaporates on the tongue and leaves a flavor behind.  Very nicely done.

Nan (Pilgrim variety)

critical mass
since 2009-03-25
Posts 275
Michigan
3 posted 2009-04-16 07:55 PM

We made sugar in fields
And evaporated

What a great line.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
4 posted 2009-04-16 08:49 PM

Juju,

An Idea:

"We made sugar in fields
And disappeared"

John

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

5 posted 2009-04-16 09:29 PM

JuJu - If only all of our evaporations could be as sweet. What a melting it would be. I liked this indeed JuJu. Namyh
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
6 posted 2009-04-16 09:36 PM

this is wicked good Juju
Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
7 posted 2009-04-16 09:42 PM

Yo dear Juju,

Is it Maple sugar time?

Good poem about that season.

Love Bobby

unboundpoetess
since 2008-05-24
Posts 477

8 posted 2009-04-16 10:35 PM

Deliciously spun.

Heather

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
9 posted 2009-04-17 02:18 AM

Jon,

If I changed it like that it would make the flow better, but would change the meaning.  I will look for a better line there that flows better.

Juju

-Juju

-"So you found a girl
Who thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts " Silent all these Years, Tori Amos

Boshii2
since 2009-02-01
Posts 146

10 posted 2009-04-17 04:12 AM

dissolved.
  sweet
kind regards Boshii2

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

11 posted 2009-04-18 02:09 AM

Dear Juju,

You're right about it changing the meaning.

John may be making a point about the nature of poetry, though.  If he isn't, I will, though it isn't be a point that everybody is interested in, or will want to make use of all the time, even if they do find it interesting.

It's possible that we learn things in the process of writing our poems.  If we already knew these things when we started, we're making the possibility of achieving joy through the writing process much more difficult, because we've made the chance of surprising ourselves much smaller.  It's hard to surprise yourself or anybody else by repeating things you already know; it's more likely you'll simply  reassure them, or sooth them or bore them.  Surprise and delight, however, become distant possibilities.  

In order to stay open to surprise and delight, we need to let the poem take us places we didn't thing it would take us.  That's why John's suggestion is one worth considering.  You are more likely to find surprise and delight in following John's suggestion, and seeing where that might take you, than in insisting that the poem has to go to the place you planned it to go.  If you follow John's suggestion, then you must fall back on you playfulness and invention to deal with the curve that John has thrown into your plans.

If you like nothing you've written in response to John's suggestion, you've lost nothing.  You can go back to your original draft.  If you do like something, you can incorporate it.  You may even have surprised yourself and your reader by a turn of invention or language you might not have attempted otherwise.

I hope there's something useful in this for you.  I did enjoy the poem, but I thought that an indulgence of that bit of wildness might be a useful thing.  You might have tried it already and revised it out; I couldn't know.  But I think some more indulgence might be a fun thing to experiment with, even if nobody knows but you.

Sincerely, Bob Kaven

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

12 posted 2009-04-18 02:10 AM

Dear Juju,

You're right about it changing the meaning.

John may be making a point about the nature of poetry, though.  If he isn't, I will, though it isn't be a point that everybody is interested in, or will want to make use of all the time, even if they do find it interesting.

It's possible that we learn things in the process of writing our poems.  If we already knew these things when we started, we're making the possibility of achieving joy through the writing process much more difficult, because we've made the chance of surprising ourselves much smaller.  It's hard to surprise yourself or anybody else by repeating things you already know; it's more likely you'll simply  reassure them, or sooth them or bore them.  Surprise and delight, however, become distant possibilities.  

In order to stay open to surprise and delight, we need to let the poem take us places we didn't thing it would take us.  That's why John's suggestion is one worth considering.  You are more likely to find surprise and delight in following John's suggestion, and seeing where that might take you, than in insisting that the poem has to go to the place you planned it to go.  If you follow John's suggestion, then you must fall back on you playfulness and invention to deal with the curve that John has thrown into your plans.

If you like nothing you've written in response to John's suggestion, you've lost nothing.  You can go back to your original draft.  If you do like something, you can incorporate it.  You may even have surprised yourself and your reader by a turn of invention or language you might not have attempted otherwise.

I hope there's something useful in this for you.  I did enjoy the poem, but I thought that an indulgence of that bit of wildness might be a useful thing.  You might have tried it already and revised it out; I couldn't know.  But I think some more indulgence might be a fun thing to experiment with, even if nobody knows but you.

I was, by the way, quite fond of your ending.  I thought the evaporation was exactly the right touch, and very well done.

Sincerely, Bob Kaven

Osprey
since 2009-04-12
Posts 249

13 posted 2009-04-18 11:23 AM

Some positivity from a failed relationship? Succinct yet, as such a poem, enough.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Sugar

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary