navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Earth Hour (dedicated to Mysteria)
Open Poetry #44
Post A Reply Post New Topic Earth Hour (dedicated to Mysteria) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2009-03-26 04:39 PM

Earth Hour Candle Light Vigil

Turn off the lights,
turn down the heat,
unplug the TV,
light a candle
and write of this night
on recycled paper.

Saturday night,
8:30PM, March 28, 2009.
It’s Earth Hour,
and millions will do
their share ‘round the globe
to reduce energy consumption.

So how many new babes
might be born
9 months from Saturday?
Well, if you really want to help the planet?
you will not increase the population
just because the lights went out one night.
For if we continue to overpopulate
and over-indulge ourselves,
one day perhaps all the lights will go out
but not at our time of choosing.

Every little bit we do
to save our only home base
will be multiplied exponentially
if we all make these small sacrifices.
Just think about what we can do
if we truly set our hearts and minds
to preserving (or improving)
the quality of life
we pass on to future generations.

Please join the world,
turn off the lights at 8:30PM
this Saturday night,
be a part of a global movement
to help save the life of Gaia.

Please read Mysteria's post: /pip/Forum3/HTML/004659.html
and http://www.earthhour.org/home/

© Copyright 2009 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2009-03-26 04:47 PM

heck yeah I have it on my calendar, and I've told everyone I can think of around here   I like candle light better anyways  
Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 posted 2009-03-26 05:34 PM

Yo Kacy,

This brings to mind the concept of crying crocodile tears over spilt milk.  It brings to mind the lines by T. S. Eliot in his poem “The Hollow Men”.

“This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.”

Everything goes in cycles.

Bobby

WTBAKELAR
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2008-09-09
Posts 1089
Utah, USA
3 posted 2009-03-26 05:42 PM

If two people do not create 2 people, we will eventually become extinct.

Some countries now pay their citizens to have babies because they are loosing their tax base.

However, To take advantage of a night with lights out does not mean we can't have a little safe fun.
I remember fumbling around in the dark.

WT.

WTBAKELAR
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2008-09-09
Posts 1089
Utah, USA
4 posted 2009-03-26 05:45 PM

PS.  Don't burn candles, they are made from petroleum and create more polution than the electric light for the same amount of illumination.
And please do not drive to the meeting, Walk

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
5 posted 2009-03-26 05:47 PM

Excellent Midnitesun!!!
~ THINK GREEN!

ARCTIC WIND

WindWalker
since 2001-10-12
Posts 1218

6 posted 2009-03-26 06:09 PM

Yes think green. This is Excellent as always!
secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
7 posted 2009-03-26 06:42 PM

going Greenage (right on) !!

effective 'write' on a topic of major importance!

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
8 posted 2009-03-26 06:59 PM

Mr Bakeler, think soy candles. Or open the drapes if the night is warm, let the moonlight in.
There is little chance the world's population will become extinct due to occasional procreational self-restraint. There is a great possibility we will do ourselves in by greedily sucking down resources as fast as we can.

Bobby, global warming and excessive energy consumption are for real, and our bad behaviors are accelerating our eventual demise.

Thanks to all for reading.
It's only one global hour this Saturday night, but it is a start, a way to prove to ourselves that we are serious about protecting our planet for future generations.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
9 posted 2009-03-26 10:11 PM

Now how special was this?  I just came back from the mall (surprised?) and every single building, and business along a main highway are going to observe Earth Hour.  Saturday, the Juno Awards are on here, and they are even observing this.  I sure hope that this may become a once a month event.

I use soy candles too Kacy Great job!

Carpe' Diem

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
10 posted 2009-03-26 10:22 PM

Yo Kacy,

What are soy candles?  Are they special things for special people?

I take it that they are derived for soy beans.  Of course soy beans are good at nitrogen fixation.  No need for fertilizer.

Eat more beans, less corn and meat.

Bobby

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
11 posted 2009-03-26 10:26 PM

Huh, Soy candles, never thought of using them! ~ Excellent idea Midnitesun! ~

At what time does the earth hour start? I think I am getting a little tired, my mind is shutting down for the night LOL Can't think

ARCTIC WIND

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
12 posted 2009-03-27 06:55 AM

Sharon, that is great news! Glad you had a chance to see this post before Saturday. HUGS to you and the whole family.
Bobby and Arctic, Soy candles are wonderful and come in many colors and scents. It was my intention last fall to begin making them for a new internet site, but my cancer issues and the economic upheaval has put this project on the back burner for now. Try them, they don't give off the negative air issues regular wax/petroleum products do. GO SOY!

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

13 posted 2009-03-30 11:08 AM

You've correctly identified the single most crucial element that dooms us. There are now 3 people occupying the same space as one was when I was born.

All the ills that befall us from pollution to food and water shortages begin in the mindless reproduction of an unworthy species and the resultant destruction of the habitat of all others. Polar Bears and Lions, all sea life, there are no living beings unthreatened.

Yes, as a father of 4 I am feeling very guilty that 20+ years ago I was clueless of my own shortsighted contributions (though in my defense I wasn't consulted in advance of any of them).

The politicians won't ever address this subject (and the only credit I'll ever give to the communist chinese is that they have) because they maintain their power through the numbers provided mostly by those more radical adherents of the Bronze Age religions whose intolerant tribalism has long assured our destruction.

And who now are the prolific purveyors of penurious polluters? Well it isn't the aware or even those who limit their offspring due to the common sense fear of not being able to provide in these bad economic times (destined, rest assured, to get far, far worse). No those who are breeding herds of 8, 10, 12 are;

Hasidics
Evangelicals
Moslem and Mormon polygamists
and Catholics spurred on to pump out contributors to the Sunday basket.

Be afraid for the future that we may not witness but our children will and try not being jealous of the oldsters who unknowingly lived in the last of the good ol' days.

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
14 posted 2009-03-30 11:32 AM

Yo RSWells,

Do you think that racial and religious bigotry helps your cause?

Bobby

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
15 posted 2009-03-30 11:51 AM

Yo dear Kacy,

I'm afraid "Earth Hour" didn't make it to Philly.  Nothing about it in the media.

Love Bobby

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

16 posted 2009-03-30 12:03 PM

Yo yerself, where do you see racial bigotry?
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
17 posted 2009-03-30 01:09 PM

I do believe over population is a serious problem and becoming more of a detriment to earth's ability to survive intact.
But lumping people together under religious, socio-ethnic or national banners is an even bigger problem, especially when tied to assumptions/actions that single out some groups while excluding others as being the root cause of global issues.

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
18 posted 2009-03-30 01:38 PM

Yo RSWells,

Look up "Semite" in your dictionary if you have one.

Bobby

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

19 posted 2009-03-30 10:24 PM

I'm not going to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man. I'd recommend you take a reading comprehension course.

Those listed are the radical ends of the major religions (save the Catholics of which I was one) I have jewish friends, have had Israeli roomates and the Hasidics are a small fringe of that religion. Get a clue pal. Geez, I've only known one decent person from the dirty end of Pa.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
20 posted 2009-03-31 06:49 AM

Gentlemen...please take your battle elsewhere.
Your comments have strayed beyond the scope of this write and forum, and have taken on the tone of a spit fight.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
21 posted 2009-03-31 02:31 PM

How dare anyone spit at each other in a thread of Kacy's!  She is one of the most deserving people on the face of this earth, but only of good, not of this wrangling - especially when, in spite of her very severe illness, she is fighting for such a good cause, as in this poem - as she so very, very often does - in the face of all adversity.  You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Huggles, Kacy

Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Earth Hour (dedicated to Mysteria)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary