navwin » Discussion » Feelings » The military, and stuff
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic The military, and stuff Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kissa~rachelle
since 2003-11-27
Posts 988
nowhere special

0 posted 2004-06-04 01:47 AM

Well, i was wondering about the military, because i am thinking about joining the Navy, once i graduate. (in like a few years) I was wondering if that would be a good idea. Some people think it is a great idea, but some think it would be stupid. Because i am a girl. I wanted to know if any of you would have any advice about it. Eventually i want to be either a Police Detective. SVU specifically. Or else a Forensics scientist, like CSI. I havent really decided yet. Okay, well just any advice would be appreciated.
~Kissa~

I want a relationship i can finally sink my teeth into.~ Alexander Sterling

© Copyright 2004 Karissa - All Rights Reserved
Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
1 posted 2004-06-04 07:10 AM

I did 10 years in the Navy, I am a girl and I was a military cop.

Ask away.  (email if you want).

"cast me gently into the morning, for the night has been unkind"
~Sarah McLachlan~

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
2 posted 2004-06-04 10:51 AM

As Susan can tell you, the Navy isn't just about Ships anymore. Serving one's country is a decision that only that person can make... however, it does offer training, and education, and a chance to see the world. Just do yourself a favor and give yourself a few weeks after the recruiter talks to you and your parents before signing... that way you can wade through all of the recruiter speak.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again...
http://www.cmlb.net/ringo

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
3 posted 2004-06-04 11:25 AM

Navy here too. I think that even if it ends up not being the life for you, a stint in the military can have great benefits for your future. There are good things/habits you learn in there that carry over (how to get up at ungodly hours of the morning for one, how to out-curse a construction worker for another ) into the rest of your life. Employers look at ex-military as a great asset to their companies (the ability to listen and folow directives, dependability, etc.). On top of that, most military programs now offer things such as money for college, VA home loans, etc. There are a lot of benefits. Just remember, though, that you're paying the price for that in time, and limited freedom. Whether it's worth it to you or not is a personal decision.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » The military, and stuff

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary