navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Sulking about poetry.
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sulking about poetry. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
croyles
since 2004-01-27
Posts 102

0 posted 2004-04-19 09:33 AM

Right, I started reading and writing poetry about 2 months ago, at that time, I thought I had a gift, a creative flair for poetry in me when I wrote my first poem. Lots of people that I know seemed to like it.

Then I came here......

I posted it, and it was OK, but I learned how vast the world of poetry was, and realized how much work I needed done. As said before, I thought i had a creative flair, but people were so update with everything.

I went to thousands of sites to learn about meter and rhythm and they all they gave were thousands of instructions and little help in digesting it; they would say things that are right but have it completly simplified to leave me comprehending how far I am at the bottom of poetry writing.

I started to catagorize myself in the stereotype of "high school teens confusing genius with crap",
and after all, everyone says they are idiots.

I just dont seem to be understanding poetry the right way, or just havnt had anyone there to teach what EXACTLY something specific would mean or how it would work.

Great, I just feel like leaving this whole god damm thing and learn something more concrete; poetry is so god damn subtle!!!!!!!!!!

I feel I have no hobbies in my life what so ever, and poetry is overwhelming and self-esteem breaking.

© Copyright 2004 croyles - All Rights Reserved
muted
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-01-15
Posts 2949
Elapsing, Eclipsing, Evolving
1 posted 2004-04-19 11:05 AM

ok, after reading this i have to say i understand what you are saying. I think most writers have felt inadequate compared to others. Do you write poetry to express yourself (like a hobby thats relaxing) or do you write it in hope of makeing a career out of it? Now, if its just a hobby dont be so hard on yourself...if you are having fun then go with it. But if you want to make a career out of it, then investing in some formal training would be your best bet. Ive been writing as a hobby for years, i have very little formal training as far as literature is concerned and i never venture into the "critical analysis forum". Those people there are trained, they will give you the hard facts. Keep writing, but read read read everything and everyone...read more than you have ever thought needed....reading will help you develop skill. there are thousands upon thousands of poetry posts on this site..go for it...dig in the archives, read daily...you will discover your niche this way. and when you have time, write a little..play a little with your limits. Dont be discouraged, we are all different...we all express ourselves in unique ways...dont keep comparing yourself to others. If poetry is something you enjoy, then dont give up.
Also, you are still relatively new to these forums...people need time to get to know you.
I see you have 55 total post and 14 of those are starting posts. You arent taking enough time to explore other people's poetry. I made 50 reply posts before I decided to post a poem. that gave people a chance to see me, know im there reading and supporting others...thats important. Everyone is out there putting their heart on the page, its difficult sometimes...just be supportive and you will find that people will gravitate to you to see what you are all about
once you make some friendships here then you will feel more comfortable recieving critique.
No one wants you to give up
We are all here to be of help

croyles
since 2004-01-27
Posts 102

2 posted 2004-04-19 11:48 AM

Thanks so much muted. That really helped.
Well I dont plan to write poetry as a career, but I do intend on getting good.

I'll start reading alot from now on, and post a lot too.

muted
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-01-15
Posts 2949
Elapsing, Eclipsing, Evolving
3 posted 2004-04-19 12:04 PM

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2004-04-19 07:15 PM

Croyles, I wish I had "stuck to my passion" early on in life as you are doing.  Art, whether it be poetry, or painting, or composing...is not only within, but acquired.  True, there are some natural talents...and their words seem quite off the cuff; but we do not know how long it takes them to compose their poem, when they seeminly "whip a poem out" to share with all of us.

When I came to Passions almost five years ago, I was simply overwhelmed!  And, I'm number 000193 on the counter.  Look at our Passions' numbers now, and you can see how much this "little" site has grown!  As you very well know, we have poets from all around the world joining in...

Man!  Did I feel inadequate early on.  [Tell you a little secret...shhhh....I still do!]  But, there is an art to persistence, and sticktoitiveness, too.

Join us in the Poetry workshop, where your talents and mettle will be pushed; go into Critical Analysis, shed the thin skin, and you will soon learn to listen to the positives, accept the negatives, and hone your skills.  [I truly know thin skin...but I'm getting better, thank you... ]

Then, go to a budget book store where they sell the old books; find some good buys on the classics, and read.  Get away from the computer, and speak the poems out loud.  

Believe me, after a while, it all starts making sense...

and it's a beautiful feeling...when you finally get the nuances, the assonance, the alliteration, the rhyme and meter.  If you think your reading is "off", find a friend who shares your passion, and have them read.

I can read aloud my own poetry, and it sounds hard and crass; I give it to my poet-friend, and she reads it beautifully!  

Join a "real life" poetry group; engage in April, as it is poetry month...I am sure there is a reading somewhere around your neck of the woods this month.  Search it out...

and most of all?  Don't give up.  Ever!

Sunshine

Karilea - if I whisper, will you listen?  Keeping in mind, I must stand close...

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
5 posted 2004-04-19 07:57 PM

Croyles- Poetry is NOT always subtle. Some of the best poetry anywhere is very straigtforward and direct, with very little room for interpretation.
A great example would be one by Carl Sandburg about mending fences. The last line states that "Good fences make good neighbors"> Now, it is possible that there was some subtle text meant, however, it seems fairly straightforward.
Many of the best poets on this site don't deal with subtlety. Poetry is, very simply, exactly what it is that you want it to be.
I also applaud you for wanting to improve your writing. And this is a great plae to do so. If you post in Critical Analysis, you will get more direct feedback on how to improve.
I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

croyles
since 2004-01-27
Posts 102

6 posted 2004-04-19 08:15 PM

thanks ringo and sunshine, you help a lot.
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
7 posted 2004-04-19 09:30 PM

Well guys, croyles has already been posting in CA and has so far had a pretty good reception. So I would just repeat what the others have already advised. Reading is the best learning method. Writing is also essential. You may write a lot that you don't want to share with anyone because you recognize it as unsalvageable. But when you have something you consider worth your own time, by all means, share it here. Join the Workshop and continue in Critical. Finally, critiquing and study the criticism of others can also be very helpful.

Pete

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think - Niels Bohr

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
8 posted 2004-04-20 07:17 AM

Sulking?  Nah - See you in the workshop... and take all that advice above too..
Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
9 posted 2004-04-22 01:14 PM

Croyles, I think the important thing to remember is that when it comes down to it, any art form, whether it be poetry or music or art or something else, is good if you put time, effort, and passion into it.  Like what was said earlier, I think we all feel inadequate at times.  Heck, I go back and look at the stuff I wrote when I joined here in 1999 as a 9th grader and I laugh my head off.  But we learn.  And grow and discover.  My best advice is to keep doing such.  Read A LOT.  Write A LOT.  Don't be afraid to try new things.  And I think when you least expect it, something brilliant comes from your soul and becomes fashioned into a beautiful piece of art.

I know this quote doesn't apply to poetry specifically, but I am also an extremely avid songwriter (I actually do that more than I write poetry anymore), but it can apply here I think:

"Songwriting is about getting the demon out of me. It's like being possessed. You try to go to sleep, but the song won't let you. So you have to get up and make it into something, and then you're allowed to sleep. It's always in the middle of the bloody night, or when you're half-awake or tired, when your critical faculties are switched off. So letting go is what the whole game is. Every time you try to put your finger on it, it slips away. You turn on the lights and the cockroaches run away. You can never grasp them."

~John Lennon

So my advice to you is to let go.  Roll with it.  Like Lennon said, thats what the whole game is.  Or so I think.

~*Krista Lee Knutson*~

Let your life lightly dance on the edges of time like dew on the tip of a leaf.
~Rabindranath Tagore

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Sulking about poetry.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary